BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: cepaul ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cockpit yhact 500 Topic Next Topic: Tachometer for 98 350 Mariner
Page: of 25

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  08:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two years ago I bought a case of 10 micron fuel filters from them for something like $2 or $3 each. They are about the best price going.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  13:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several of the pencil zincs broke off when I tried to remove them so the stud is still in them. I know I can chemically dissolve them but I figured I would just start fresh. I plan to paint the tips red as well so they are easy to spot to speed up the hunt when changing. As for the filters I like to use the Cat filters I'm sure them are the same but I just feel better this way. I would use no name Racor filters it you know where to find them.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  14:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, what has saved me time with the zincs is using a sharpie to write the wrench size on the tops. I know where they all are but could never remember the wrench size. It worked so well I have started doing it on other repeat items like the impeller and the heat exchanger caps

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  14:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also. You can get the off brand Racors here

http://www.dieselfiltersdirect.com/griffin-gtb34-g2040-turbine-series-elements

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Edited by - jmeirhofer on Mar 26 2014 14:23:15

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  14:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From their website:

Filterbarn handles many different brands with an emphasis on Fram and Fleetguard. We also carry Baldwin, WIX, Luberfiner, Racor, Donaldson and others.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 26 2014 :  15:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still need to order Racor filters I will have to look up the part number and place an order I would like to get filters for the genny and transmissions as well.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 16 2014 :  19:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone replaced their cutlass bearings? I want to order mine ahead of the haul out so they are here and ready when I am. However there are two different outside diameters for two inch shafts. 2 5/8" and 3". If it makes a difference I am ordering Duramax pieces.

I have started on a few of the projects like replacing the cockpit refer. I will have pics to upload soon.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 16 2014 :  19:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my cutlass bearings replaced when I first got my boat, but I don't know which outside diameter were used.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 16 2014 :  20:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't had to replace mine yet. I had mine checked and you are still good. I'm assuming that they where changed before I bought the boat.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  15:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a new cockpit refer put in last weekend. At first I was going to replace it with a regular Norcold unit and keep it the same. But in the end decided to save about $600 and use a dorm style refer. I think it came out looking pretty good.

And I got started on cleaning and painting the engine bilges. Starting with the center line where the batteries are. Now that one took a bit to clean.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  18:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John do you have a floor for the center line of the bilge?
I got my dash back today it looks great I will post some pictures when I finish the install. I may have a couple I took at the shop I will see. Today I installed a water valve on the fresh water feed to the water pump. The other day I found I had a crack in the strainer before the pump and when I went to remove it water was flowing from the tank, it occurred to me it would be a good idea to have a valve there. I need to replace the strainer but at the moment I'm just feeding it without the strainer. I held pressure for two days and lost no water so I'm assuming I have no leaks this year, this may be a first. I installed my IP camera today this went well. Then I cleaned up my engines a bit everything is moving right a long. I plan to change my engine zincs this weekend and maybe I will do my impellers as well, this will only leave changing the oil and filters on the trannies and I will be done and ready for the season.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  19:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have a diamond plate across it.

I look forward to seeing your helm. I am debating doing someone with mine. Maybe just paint it. Let me know how the camera works out. I would not mind having one on mine.

So funny story. My water pump started coming on every so often for about a second. I spent at least a couple hours of the day on and off looking for the leak. Towards the end of the day I finally found it. I had never used the ice maker before. This year I put a filter on it, cleaned it up and proceeded to make ice. I never considered that it would need water. Lol. The really funny part is that one of the lines I check for a leak was my newly installed water filter running to the ice maker. It wasn't until I heard the water spray inside that I figure it out.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  19:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that the ice tray would take enough water to start the pump. I have already made a couple of trays and dumped them. I meant to pick up a filter for the ice maker I forgot which filter did you use?

As for the camera I setup the Dlink camera on board today it was easy to get working this said it is very slow using the optimum hotspot I can't seem to get playback to work for some reason. The DVR setup I have using logmein is actually working better but I can't get this to work on my phone at least not well.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Apr 17 2014 19:43:39

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 17 2014 :  20:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went to Home Depot and got a filter like you would use on a refer ice maker in your kitchen. Easy filter replacement. The pump comes on for about a second every 10 min or so. I don't think that is every time it sprays water on the tray.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 18 2014 :  09:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dam I just left Homedepot again and forgot the filter. I'm sure I will be back soon. I'm hoping to install the dash this afternoon if all goes well I will post a few pictures later.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 18 2014 :  11:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added transmission temperature and oil pressure gauges, and turbo boost gauges. Had to move some electronics around on the dash and fabricate holders for the gauges out of starboard

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 18 2014 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photos Hogan!! You got to show your handy work.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  02:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat came with trans temp and oil pressure but the turbo boost would be nice.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  07:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave. You never put up any pictures of your new upholstery.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  14:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody had a problem with pink spots on the vinyl upholstery ? I saw a little a year ago but now it has grown to cover a big section on two sun pads on the deck. Read a lot about it, many opinions and ideas but I think it boils down to reupholster or try a vinyl coating like Sem. But it's hard to figure out a color , may have to get a couple to try. At least the cushions are not next to any other vinyl.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  16:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get some starbrite sail and canvas cleaner. If that won't fix it nothing will.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  20:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The upholstery is being installed on Thursday. I installed the dash today but had a little issue I will have to address this over the winter however it looks great in the meantime.

I did account for the flex in the panel so when I tightened it in place it put too much pressure on the new seem and created a stress crack which I will have to fill in the off season over time it will spread when it is done I will correct the problem.
Next I need to find a new steering wheel it look like crap next to the new dash!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 19 2014 :  21:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way on yet another trip to Homedepot I finally picked up a filter for my ice maker I hope to install it tomorrow it's on my to do list. I'm planning to change my engine zincs, impellers and maybe install that filter all in the AM. If I get all this done the only thing I will have left to do will be change my tranny oil and filters.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  06:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice Dave. Makes mine look like a POS compared. Can't wait to see the upholstery.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just logged into my new IP camera and it reminded me of yet another project. See if you can figure this one out. Here is a hint I'm at home.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  10:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
turn your TV off.

How can you see your gauges with that Garmin blocking them?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  14:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You want to install something that can turn your TV on/off remotely?

I got another one of my projects done this weekend. Along with the first round of compounding above the rub rail.

Screens before (I did two last year)

Screen(s) after

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  17:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John when I bought my boat there where several spare screens on board one of these days I will swap out a couple.

Yes one of my projects is to replace my TVs they both turn on all by themselves. I called Toshiba and they said they were not worth fixing.

I spent the day in my engine room, I changed the zincs, changed the impellers and cover plates (they don't drip anymore) and topped off the batteries.
I also change the antifreeze radiator caps for the second time due to a drip, what I discovered is this is not the problem there are small cracks on the filler neck on top of the tank. I'm thinking I will try JB weld. It is an area that is easy to access so cleaning and prepping should be easy. It has to hold about 13lbs anything more will blow into the reservoir tank. If the JB weld doesn't work I will drain and remove the tanks bring them to a radiator shop and have them welded should not be a big deal just a pain to remove and reinstall. This is a small leak that I have had since I bought the boat but in the process of trying to fix it I made it worse so it's time to do something. I want to try this tomorrow so it has time to dry in time for me to take the boat on Thursday to get the upholstery installed.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  18:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, do you have spare screen and gasket already pre-made? I did not think that would be available. I carefully peeled each and every screen off the gaskets. I then put a bead of silicone in each crevice, laid the nylon screen I cut off a roll I got at Home Depot, and then pressed the gasket in place. I just closed the window hatches pressing them in place to dry. Having a pre made screen would have been much easier.

I still can not get over how nice your helm looks.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  18:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed the part about JB Weld on your filler neck. I tried it back in the 70s on a radiator filler neck on my car. Didn't work. It just would not hold the pressure.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Apr 20 2014 :  19:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What filter on the ice maker are you guys talking about?

GeeVeeBee

risingson

RO# 29910

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  05:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jmeirhofer can you tell me exactly how you peeled the rubber gaskets off the windows without ripping the gaskets? I need to replace the window screens real bad.

Homeport: Cos Cob, CT Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  05:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used some acetone and goo gone. And I still had some of the gasket come up with it in places. They are on there pretty good. The first one I glued the screen in place with gorilla glue and then used the silicone to seal it in as the others. The gorilla glue was a mistake and unnecessary step. It is just messy.

Anyway, let rub the acetone in until the glue is sticky and then rub the goo gone in and the screen should come off pretty easy. The hard part is getting the old glue off. It just takes patience. Took me about 4 hours to do this job start to finish.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  06:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly never look at what I have in the box but I believe it is a few screens and gaskets I don't think they are attached.

Allen there currently is no filter on the ice maker I plan to add one. I bought an "ice maker filter" at Homedepot I think it was about $12 I really don't drink the water on the boat other then the ice which I use a lot of so I figured it can't hurt to filter it. I fill the tank thru a filter as well but the cleaner the better.

John I have heard mixed reviews as to JB Weld I think the trick is in the prep. This is a hairline crack on both tanks the paint was hold back much of the leak but I strip most of the paint off the area looking for the leak and made it worse. I will try this if it doesn't work I will pull the tank and have it welded it would be an easy fix the hard part is discounting the hoses and may result in replacing several hoses.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  14:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have been trying to find the transmission seal mentioned earlier that I am replacing. The part number I have is no longer being made but I did track down the ZF replacement part. It is a 85x105x12mm single lip seal. I figured there would be some mark up because, well, its a boat. The same seal for a crankshaft, less than $15. From ZF $200ea. YGTBSM!!!

Edited price. It was more than I thought. I mis-read the quote.

And people wonder why folks get frustrated and just leave boating. I am fortunate to know better and be able to affect the repairs on my own. But another Trojan owner I am friends with here does not know how to do more than change oil and other basic items. This repair would cost him in the $1000s for both shafts and transmissions. Ridiculous.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Edited by - jmeirhofer on Apr 21 2014 15:26:34

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 21 2014 :  21:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John if I wasn't handy I would not be able to afford my boat! I applied the JB Weld today I'm hoping to test it tomorrow if I can get home early enough. Assuming it holds I will test then sand and paint and I should be good to go.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Apr 22 2014 00:18:09

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  04:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be interested to see how it holds up Dave. Maybe the formula has changed enough in 40 years that it will work better for you than it did for me.

No kidding about the being handy thing. I too would not be able to afford my boat if I had to pay for repairs.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  05:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was assured that this repair should work. I was also told that the tick is in the prep work I sanded the entire area done to the metal then cleaned and dried before applying hopefully it will hold. I will stop up later and try to pick to the fill to see if it peal or chip away it if does then it will eventually fail. If it holds well I will sand and paint it should look and work great, if not it is not a major fix it is a brass tank so I should be able to use solder to repair if the JB Weld doesn't hold.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Apr 24 2014 05:13:35

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  05:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a big day I'm bringing the boat to have the upholstery installed this morning. I was told it is going to take all day to complete the install so I'm bringing additional projects with me to work on in the cabin while I'm there. I'm hoping to install two new TVs and replace the microwave I went shopping yesterday and have a full car of new toys:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Apr 24 2014 05:25:05

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  07:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you run HDMI cables to the new Televisions from the entertainment center? I did, it was a PIA. But now I can plug into my DVD player over there. I may wind up putting a new DVD in that has wifi and smart apps so I can stream the FIOS app. Since I have unlimited data on my phone, I use that as a hotspot when at the boat. I have been streaming to FIOS to my iPad and the computer and so far it has worked really good. It is a good alternative to having a dish.

I can't wait to see your new upholstery too. I am going to have my bottoms redone when I haul out in a few weeks.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  07:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, ask them if they will give the same price to the rest of us 440 owners

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike I think not he made it clear he was not happy with the price this said he did a great job! I do have to bring it back for an adjustment but I'm very happy with the price and the job!!!

This had to be one if not the worst day I have seem on the Hudson at least with me at the Helm it was down right nasty out! I has happy to get back in my slip without damage.

John several years ago I ran a component cable to the TV in the salon this was not easy but I ran a pull string to make it easier to pull anything in the future. My Satellite boxes don't have HDMI outputs at least not that I notice or needed I'm not setup for HD so I don't really care if I simple run it over my standard video out. My last TVs both had DVD players built in I never used either of them, I only have a DVD on the stateroom TV this time and I sure I will never use it either.

While they were installing my upholstery I installed the two new TVs and a new microwave slowly but surely I'm finishing everything on my list frankly there is not much left at all:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Apr 25 2014 05:39:05

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 25 2014 :  05:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really nice Dave!!

Do you use the flip up lids on your wet bar? I have wondered what the purpose of flipping them up would be as I never have. I thought about taking them off and replacing with a fake granite like later year Trojans.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Edited by - jmeirhofer on Apr 25 2014 05:55:37

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 25 2014 :  06:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do use them simply because they are there. I keep small things in there and I open them when serving food I like that things don't slide out of this area because it is framed in. If you were to make is all one level everything would slide away. The later models are still recessed, I happen to like the look of the smooth rounded finish look with the covers down but it they weren't there I don't know that I would miss them.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  20:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a productive weekend I installed the filter for my ice maker of coarse things just had to go wrong even with the most simple tasks I had a bad valve for the ice maker so I figured I would replace it but I couldn't find one to fit so I figured I would just put it back but then the t fitting cracked so I had to replace everything. I. The end I have all new fittins valve and hoses plus the filter.

I have finished everything on my list I'm running out of projects I'm very happy with the results!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  05:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen stopped by yesterday and we tilted my arch back. Now I just need some rain to see if the water stops pooling up on it.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  05:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have some pictures of it? I am having a hard time picturing what you did, but if it works I may try it also.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  06:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John they loosened the bolts jacked up the arch and inserted washers as spacers. This is a very simple solution the question is will it make any difference. Mike you will have plenty on rain this week to test it. I would have used a hose so that I didn't have to come to the boat in the rain just to check on it.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  19:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made a difference on mine, still getting a bit of water, not sure yet if I want to tilt it further. It was my dads last tip. I told him I didn't know hoe to lift the arch so I can insert something as spacers in between the top to the base. He said "Take a 2 by 4 and a car jack". Now he is gone and I have to count on you all for good advise! I think I am in troubles. Lol.
Trying to upload the picture on mine to Photobucket. Will post a pic from the I-pad

GeeVeeBee

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Apr 29 2014 :  19:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tilted a little backwards:

My new improved dinghy chocks:

GeeVeeBee

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Cockpit yhact 500 Topic Next Topic: Tachometer for 98 350 Mariner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.53 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com