BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Carver 356 question???
Page: of 26

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - May 28 2015 :  09:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to battery capacity and installing high current marine battery cables (#4/0).
This model Trojan has a powerful pair of diesel engines.

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 28 2015 :  09:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two 8Ds on the outside of my port motor and one 8D in the centerline next time I may double the centerline bank but I honestly have not run the two 8Ds down since I set them up. This said I also haven't used my inverter I have to look at that and see if I can put that into use as long as it is there.
Last weekend I replaced my breaker for the Microwave that worked out great. I also replaced one of my volt meters which I can't remember the last time it worked. I ordered a digital volt/amp meter online and installed it in the volt meter location it works well I'm happy. I ordered two I guess I should swap the other meter as well. Now I have to adjust my windless it seems as though the clutch is slipping but I'm not sure I need to look into this before I have a problem. I'm getting to the end of my list so it may be time to sell the boat soon:) I can't even imagine what I could replace it with that would make me as happy! Not without breaking the bank!!!

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - May 29 2015 :  00:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the time the boat yard finally finished my laundry list of items and we were able to bring the boat home, we were out of runway to start the radar arch. We spent one solid weekend cleaning the inside, then half of Mother's Day weekend cleaning the cockpit, and the next two weekends we actually used the boat on pre-planned cruise outs. And now that we are solidly into boating season the radar arch is going to have to wait til winter.

Every Weekend's a Vacation

Homeport: Discovery Bay, CA Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - May 29 2015 :  08:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, instead of relying solely on battery power, why don't you run your genny once in a while?

I run mine a few hours each day and evening while on the hook, and it charges my batteries.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 29 2015 :  22:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run my benny plenty to keep everything charged.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 31 2015 :  12:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the GREAT DAVE, I now have updated GPS, CHART PLOTTER and RADAR. Installed the Garmin 7612 with new radar and new radar dome mount.

GeeVeeBee

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  11:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Genny is noisy, I have been thinking about a different muffler but then again I don't run it that much with the battery power I got. My 6 volts are mounted between the engines

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  13:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the breaker panel at the helm, I have a set of engine controls. I'm not sure if they are backup for the electronic throttle/shifters, or backup if the sync goes out, or ???? Does anyone else have these and if so can you shed some light on them for me?

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  14:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delivering Happiness

Thanks to the GREAT DAVE, I now have updated GPS, CHART PLOTTER and RADAR. Installed the Garmin 7612 with new radar and new radar dome mount.

Your welcome glad to help! Looking forward to seeing the finished panels in place it should look nice as well as work well.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  15:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched my transom door so that it opens out.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  17:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the Starry did this as well I have mixed emotions about it. From a safety view I like the fact then if and when my latch vibrates open the door wont swing out so nothing and no one would fall out. I understand the benefit but it never really bothered me so I think I will leave mine alone.
I replace a bad hose for my windshield washers now I can spray both windows to help wipe away salt spray now I can't wait for my next trip to the sound!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  17:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that I can now use the step that was blocked when the door was open

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  18:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally get that I just think transom doors open in for a reason however there are a few boats that do open out like older Searays. I would like the extra room at that step but I just don't latch mine open so it is easy to push out of my way as I step down.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  21:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

I like that I can now use the step that was blocked when the door was open

I have a the full caper so I Cant use the step unless I remove that side of the camper. Still toying with adding a step on the rounded back like Odvar did.
Ordered a new door for the storage opening i have under the port side double seat.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/build-your-own-custom-starboard-boat-door

Am I ALLOWED TO POST A LINK TO ANOTHER WEBSITE?

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  22:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John. Can you post a picture of those controls? That sounds pretty strange.

John
No more boats but I have a really cool car and a really fast bike. :)

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Nimbus Flats Go to Top of Page

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  23:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll get a pic this weekend John. They are strange...and I have all the original manuals with this boat and I haven't seen any documentation about it.

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  19:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the engine controls that are in the helm breaker panel below the drivers seat. Anyone seen these before?

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  09:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope i haven't see. This setup before.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  16:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, after thinking about this way more than I should be, I have come up with this possible scenario. Based on the fact that they are located next to the battery bank test switch, I believe they are an engine electronic isolation switch. I would be willing to bet that the alternators are wired to them. In the event of a failed alternator, you could isolate that alternator by depressing the switch and have your battery for that bank charged by not depressing the other switch. And vice verse on the other engine. Both switches in the open position allows both alternators to run to all three battery banks (or two if you only have two). Sort of like an electronic battery combiner. I would remove the panel inside the cupboard behind the switches, find the wires and note the colors. Start tracking them through to the engine room to see where they go. If they don't go to the engine room, at least then you will find out where they do go.

John

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  21:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

I switched my transom door so that it opens out.

Great idea I had....So glad my door opens out now. I have no issues regarding safety as it is locked in place when running and I have my step in place to run up to the bow with my newly installed grill set up on the port side of the boat. Looks like it was a built in.

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

oregonparts

RO# 33629

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  20:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like everyone must of left for the summer....don't see much activity. This might have been said before but I don't remember reading it. I was looking at the other Trojan in the slip next to me and realized that the wing on the arch was different on his compared to mine. His was about 3 inches thick in the back and it tipped forward toward the front of the boat. I have heard everyone talking about how they were getting water into the boat from that location. I have never had that problem and just realize why because mine tips toward the rear. Here is a picture of my wing and the boats next to mine. His is a 99 and mine is a 2001.

Todd

"Just Another Day In The Junk Yard Of Life"

2001 440 Trojan Express
1994 Sea Ray 400 EC
2008 GTX Sea-Doo

Homeport: Oregon Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  23:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd looking good!

I have been toying with the idea of installing dinghy chocks on my platform for some time now but just could find the perfect setup that could be removed without leaving holes or blocks that would remain. Being I have the davit I can use this to launch from the platform. This past weekend I decided it was time to start on a solution to this I decided to simply build one myself. I draw up plans and then took measurements then I bounced the idea off one of my customers who proceeded to order all the parts and begin construction today. I brought a mockup to the boat today and adjusted a few measurements tomorrow will should be able to bang up the rest of it. I'm sure there will be a few changes but I'm building it in a way that changes should be fairly easy. With a little luck I will have a usable model with that I can fine tune as needed. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  23:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this turned into a bigger project then I planned or hoped but so far I'm happy with how it is coming out! It still needs a little fine tuning I hope to tweak it a little more tomorrow but I'm on the right path for sure.

I need to add an 8" legs to add stability but at the moment it seems to be working well.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  00:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Dave!! Does it bolt in at all or just rely on the trunk lid to keep it in place?

John

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  06:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has a pin in the garage to hold it down and today I plan to add 8" feet for stability. It also hooks the front of the platform to hold it down I think with the addition of the feet it should be nice and stable.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  06:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mods are done and today I start an 8 day vaction soit will get a good shake down test over the next few days!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  12:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have pictures of their "original" canvas? I finally took all the canvas out of the garage (El Nino is coming ya know!) and it's actually in better shape than I thought it would be, after a thorough cleaning and treating I believe I'll actually get a couple/few years out of it. It has tags on it that say Carver which leads me to believe it's original. Here's the interesting thing, even though I haven't started figuring out how it goes up yet, I'm 100% certain it goes under and inside the radar arch. The bimini is slightly below the radar arch (works fine for us, I'm only 5'8" but taller folks have to duck a little bit, but the low profile looks cool) and there are no snaps on the radar arch, and finally, there is a piece that looks like it will bridge the bimini to the the rear bimini, it has 6 round eisenglas windows that look like they will line up perfectly with the cockpit lights under the radar arch. Anyone seen a configuration like this before?

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  14:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what our canvas looked like when we got it.

I don't think that is quite what you are describing. Send me a couple pictures of it and I will see if it looks the same as my old stuff did.

John

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Audrey II has the same under-the-arch canvas.

Mine attaches over the arch in the front, and under it in the back.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  22:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old canvas went under the arch but it didn't have any clear for the lights it was a very dumb design I since replaced it and it now attaching on the outsides of the arch so it is both higher and the lights are exposed.

On another note as long as I have owned my boat I have had water issues in the garage I have always assumed it was coming in the door as I slowed down but this year it seemed to get worse and my bilge pump would come on about every 20-30 minutes while underway for several seconds. About a month ago I added a new gasket seal to the door seemed to have no effect on the water. Yesterday I emptied the garage and opened all the access holes I blocked off the thru holes between the strings to try to isolate an area that the water was coming from it wasn't easy but two hours later I found it is coming in from the rub rail. I will try to seal it with 4200 but I will need to remove the platform the access the area of the rail in question. I'm just glad I finally figured it out it wont really be a big deal to fix even if I have to remove the platform it wont be the for or last time I'm sure. I can't wait to see if I have a dry bilge!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  00:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that could be a source for the water in the center bildge as well. I had water in the center bilde after being on land shrink wrapped to the rub rail. It had to be coming in through there or the ports. No doubt after 17 years both need resealed.

John

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  16:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the boat this afternoon and put a bead of 4200 in the gap for about two feet I'm hoping this does the trick. When it dries I will try to tighten the screws from inside the garage using a vise grip. The screws protrude about a 1/4-1/2 and inch inside the garage this may allow me to tighten things up and avoid my having to pull the platform in the fall. I hope to test it out this coming weekend.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

oregonparts

RO# 33629

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  10:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave you helped me in the past when I was joining the forum and now my neighbor is trying to join and says he is not getting any reply's. Can you work your magic and help him. I believe his name he is using is the name of his boat Caliente. I might of spelled it wrong but a few post back I posted a picture of his boat with the new teak deck he put on his boat.

Todd

2001 440 Trojan Express
1994 Sea Ray 400 EC
2008 GTX Sea-Doo

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd now that you are a member just send either a PM or an email to Les and give him a heads up.
How are you making out with the build? Anymore pics?

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  18:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where to get replacement wiper blades? These do not appear to be like "standard" automotive wiper blades...

oregonparts

RO# 33629

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  21:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on cruise when I needed to replace mine a couple months ago. Bought mine at napa. If I remember right how it connected was a little different but I bought some small stainless bolts and self locking nuts. Works and looks great, when I need blades again I will just head to my local auto parts store.

Todd

2001 440 Trojan Express
1994 Sea Ray 400 EC
2008 GTX Sea-Doo

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  23:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be careful not to go with over sized blades they will work for a bit and then destroy the motors ask me how I know. I bought all new everything motors arms and wipers. I want with the next size up motors as well.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Johnfrmcal

RO# 33857

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  13:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I will take a closer look. Glanced at them the other day thinking I would just get the quick-change automotive ones and saw that they attach with a screw/nut it looks like. Why does everything on a boat have to be so non-standard??

Also, my Port wiper stops in the up position and my Starboard wiper stops in the down position...is this normal?

One more question...on the bow spotlight, do most of you have the helm-mounted joystick or did yours come with the wireless remote only? I don't see any spot on the helm where a joystick would have been removed. Just purchased the wireless remote since my boat didn't come with one.

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  15:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, mine was in the map storage compartment to the left. Just in case you have not looked there. I replaced my wipers with blades from Costco.

John

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  19:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jmeirhofer the new models do not have the map storage like us.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  22:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer for them. :) I have already started forgetting little things about mine.

John

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  00:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeirhofer

Bummer for them. :) I have already started forgetting little things about mine.

If you ever want to remember just come pay a visit. The door is always open.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave!!!!

John

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  21:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If not too late, I just changed mine. Here is what I bought

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?process=checkout&part=65642

GeeVeeBee

oregonparts

RO# 33629

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  20:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everybody sold their boat, very little post this year. I still have mine, hope you all have a great NEW YEAR.

Todd

2001 440 Trojan Express
1994 Sea Ray 400 EC
2008 GTX Sea-Doo

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  09:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The four of us here on the Hudson River have all put them to sleep for the winter. I plan on constructing wooden steps down to the salon over the winter.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  13:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oregonparts

I think everybody sold their boat, very little post this year. I still have mine, hope you all have a great NEW YEAR.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  13:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oregonparts

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  13:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
long time since I have been posting, new format!
anyway, Todd, boat looks great, how about pics from inside.
been doing some work on mine, replaced all the inside bulbs and rope lights with LED, funny looking stuff but works great. Just got new TVs. hope the new one outside will be better in daylight. Funny how they say a regular TV will not last outside, the old one is almost 10 years old, still works.
over the hump, heading for spring and summer

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  17:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring can't get here soon enough! I don't have any major plans for work on my boat this year I have completed most of the projects I hoped to. I would like to do the galley floor but this is not a big project.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Page: of 26 Topic Next Topic: Carver 356 question???  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com