BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 249 ]  [ Total: 254 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Trojan 440 express front Speakers
Page: of 26

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  02:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have not had problems with you first two issues so I don't know, as for the transfer pump mine has never worked the motor turns put doesn't pump. I believe it is an easy fix I assume there is an impeller inside that needs to be replaced

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Stamford, CT Go to Top of Page

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  07:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave.

How about the water heater? First off, where is it? I didn't really look for it though, I'm assuming it's in the engine room. When plugged into 110, the water gets extremely hot, like scalding. I wanted to check and see if there was an adjustment to be made, and if not, possibly a bad thermostat.

Thanks again.

Homeport: IL Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  00:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Water heater should be in the engine room I would assume it would be on the port side of the port engine. I don't know of any adjustments but it is possible. Oddly I have two water heaters one port and one starboard this said I don't know of any other Trojans with this setup. I also have two holding tanks one for each head again I don't know of any others with this setup. There are four 440s in my marina and yes we are all members here all four are different years and all are different in several ways mine it the oldest I love the boat just the way it is. I added the swim platform mine came with a davit to lift a jetski into the garage I use it to launch my dinghy on and off of the platform.
Over time you will get it know your boat and you will grow to love it let most of us have. I didn't know much about my boat before I bought it I happened across it while looking for a different boat my wife and I fell in love with it and bought it two days later this was 10 years ago no regrets!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  02:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a canvas like this for your 440? I was considering getting one as we plan on using the boat only on nice days. We would have the camper top on board for those days that don't turn out perfect too.

I figure this should be easier to take off and put on compared to the windows each time.

Thoughts?

Also, can anyone get a rough size of this canvas area? I probably won't see the boat for a few more months to measure it.

Thanks

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  09:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its often called a mooring cover. So very common on boats that are stored on mooring.
I keep one full time on my fly bridge, but i have a lower helm to run from if it rains etc...

I dont know how practical it will be full time an an express boat unless your weather is rain free most of the time?

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 02 2018 :  10:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used one on a 25' boat and it saved quite a bit of time since we used the boat often. If you don't mind storing the gels properly somewhere, and you have a center support so water doesn't pool up you may find it convenient. Especially if you can leave the bimini up.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Dec 03 2018 :  10:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat came with a full mooring cover, it is five pieces and covers the entire boat, from the bow to the swim platform.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - May 28 2019 :  22:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under the forward bed is the storage area. Then, there is a hatch at the bottom of that. I noticed some water there, most likely from the anchor locker.

I syphoned out the water there, and noticed 3 drainage holes at the back of this area. As I was pulling water out, more water was pushing up from these holes, and it sounded like a pump kicked on there too.

I have absolutely no idea how to access this lower area (collision bulkhead?). There is another removable panel under the head of the mattress, but that just leads to the same area I pulled water from.

The bilge in the hatch under the bedroom door only goes to the back side of the collision/forward bulkhead.

Is there access to where the water is trapped? Could there be a pump in there? I'd really like to get this water out from under the bed, but I'm lost as to how to access that area.

Here are 2 pics looking straight down at it.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 29 2019 :  00:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check you anchor locker make sure there is no water in there and that the drains are clear. My boat has a different setup the space is where my AC unit is at least my blower.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - May 29 2019 :  08:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are drain holes in each bulkhead in the bilge, to allow water to flow to the lowest spot. It drained forward because when you went up there, you added more weight.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - May 30 2019 :  00:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know most of these boats were built differently from each other, but I guess no one else has this issue.

I would think there should be drain holes between bulkheads, but I do not have this at the most forward section. All the other bulkheads in my boat do have drains between them.

The deepest section I can access the most forward bulkhead is about floor height of the front stateroom. So, there is about 1.5' to 2' of water below it I would guess.

Here is a pic looking forward from the hatch at the door of the front stateroom. My only option right now is to drill a hole to drain the water from that front bulkhead to the next one where I have access, or cut a hole into it from the top and syphon the water out, not sure which option is better.

Watermark

RO# 33906

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  02:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knotayat

I just spent my first weekend on the new to me 98 440.

Couple quick questions.

Fuel transfer didn't seem to work when I was running. Port engine seemed to use much more fuel then starboard. It was showing about 1 GPH more in most cases, but trying to balance it out didn't work.

Besides that, I had a great weekend on it, and what a great boat!

I hope I can be some help to this forum in the future, but, for now, I'm sure I'm going to be asking a few random questions.

The fuel transfer is a manual operation. I have two switches that control it. One switch on the main power panel inside the cabin that puts power to it. Then a 3-position switch under the helm seat. Once the power switch is turned on, move the 3-position switch from the center (off) position to either side tank. This will send fuel to that tank until it's moved back to center. My transfer pump is mounted on the forward wall of the engine room. The fuel lines from both tanks connect to this pump, and each line has a quarter turn valve. Make sure these valves are open.

Mike
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Ventura, CA

Homeport: Ventura, CA Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  07:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible you were running your generator while underway this would explain burning more fuel on one side.
My transfer pump runs but has never worked I believe I need to replace the impeller. I have never really had a need to transfer fuel so I have never gotten around to fixing it.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  00:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I found my transfer pump, in the same location as yours. The wires are cut to it. I'm assuming it is in-op, but haven't tested it yet.

That post was from the first weekend with the boat. Since then, we've gone though 2 tanks, and they seem to burn about the same.

We are really enjoying this Trojan, and I'm learning a lot about it just from tinkering and fixing things.

I have a big 'to-do' list, and every time I cross one thing off, 2 more get added to it! But, thats to be expected I guess.

Watermark

RO# 33906

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  17:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to change the bulb in the rear navigation light on my 1997 Trojan 440 Express. Does anyone know how to gain access in the light to change the bulb? There is a small Philips head screw on the front bottom and two bolts and nuts on the back.

Mike
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Ventura, CA

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  23:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the nuts on the back. It's only that small phillips screw. I believe you have to lift on the lens cover, then pull after you get that screw loose.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  02:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not the nuts on the back. It's only that small phillips screw. I believe you have to lift on the lens cover, then pull after you get that screw loose.

Correct it is probably just stuck pull out and up from the bottom there are two small tabs on 5he top that it sits on.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  02:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of replacing my autopilot with a Garmin unit does anyone know what size pump I need? Yes I know the easy answer is go with the smartpump can't go wrong accept the price! There are good deal to be had almost half the price if I know what size pump I actually need.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  16:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been researching the Simrad AP units. I need the larger pump, they rate it from 9.8 C.I. to 24 C.I.

I hope that helps in translating it over to the Garmin unit.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  23:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been researching the Simrad AP units. I need the larger pump, they rate it from 9.8 C.I. to 24 C.I.

I hope that helps in translating it over to the Garmin unit.

Yes this would mean I need a 2.1 liter pump. Which is the larger pump and clearly the more expensive one as well. This said it is still less then the smartpump.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  13:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

Video not available on mobile device.

I had both my rudders pulled and rehabbed last year all new hardware and bushing which BTW they had custom made.

My rudder shafts are leaking bad into the garage. I talked to a mechanic today, and he asked if I knew if the seals were still available. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a quick job if you had to have it all custom made.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  23:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Video not available on mobile device.

I had both my rudders pulled and rehabbed last year all new hardware and bushing which BTW they had custom made.

My rudder shafts are leaking bad into the garage. I talked to a mechanic today, and he asked if I knew if the seals were still available. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a quick job if you had to have it all custom made.

My mechanic had all winter to deal with it it was not a project I oversaw so I really don't have much info to advise.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Knotayat

RO# 34075

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  00:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to get the rudder bearings ams tubes done now. They were letting a lot of water into the garage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QakTyEiU7RAgQaUB7

Also, finally had time to start installing my new switches from New Wire Marine. Got one panel left to do.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kHovgc9xfU78L2tX9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eS71vAe7DTGUAdBA8

aenglebert1

RO# 33987

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  17:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the switches!

Austin Englebert

Homeport: AL Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  23:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get the rudder shaft seals from most seal manf. The seals,have the size stamped in them if I remember. I think I got mine through NAPA auto parts. Remember to rebed the bottom through bolts with 5200 sealant.

I can’t believe the post is still going. #128558;#128512;

John
No more boats but I have a really cool car and a really fast bike. :)

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Nimbus Flats Go to Top of Page

aenglebert1

RO# 33987

Posted - Jun 22 2020 :  08:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have advice for the sliding door going down into the salon? Mine is getting hard to slide. Not sure if it needs replacing or someone figured out a trick?

Austin Englebert

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 23 2020 :  06:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try cleaning the sill maybe spray a little lubricant on the track. You may have to remove the helmet to get to the rollers t clean and lub them as well. I have never had an issue the a good cleaning couldn't fix however 8 have seen this issue on another boat. I don't think he ever attempted to correct 5he problem so I don't know what caused it.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

aenglebert1

RO# 33987

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  08:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have tried lubricating and I've tried adjusting the screws that adjust height of rollers but still gets stuck and hard to push/pull.

I have found replacement tracks and rollers but not sure if they will fit my boat.

Austin Englebert

Watermark

RO# 33906

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  23:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aenglebert1

Thanks, I have tried lubricating and I've tried adjusting the screws that adjust height of rollers but still gets stuck and hard to push/pull.

I have found replacement tracks and rollers but not sure if they will fit my boat.

I had a problem with the sliding door when I purchased and picked up my boat. I didn't know anything about the door then but the broker changed the rollers on the door. It's a patio door roller assembly D-1537. I saved the packaging. You can find it at Home Depot, etc. I've always wanted to fine tune the adjustment but never did. The door has come off the track on occasion so I just lift it up and put it back on. You will have to move the left side of the helm to access it.

Mike
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Ventura, CA

Watermark

RO# 33906

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  23:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Correct it is probably just stuck pull out and up from the bottom there are two small tabs on 5he top that it sits on.

Thanks for the advise. The small phillips screw at the bottom was stuck and became stripped. I was able to drill it out but it broke. It's a 3" long screw. I wound up buying a used light at a consignment store for the new screw and gasket. I was able to successfully repair from there.

Mike
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Ventura, CA

aenglebert1

RO# 33987

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  17:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update and experience! How did you change out the part? did you have to remove the door or will it tilt enough to change out the rollers?
[/quote]

I had a problem with the sliding door when I purchased and picked up my boat. I didn't know anything about the door then but the broker changed the rollers on the door. It's a patio door roller assembly D-1537. I saved the packaging. You can find it at Home Depot, etc. I've always wanted to fine tune the adjustment but never did. The door has come off the track on occasion so I just lift it up and put it back on. You will have to move the left side of the helm to access it.
[/quote]

Austin Englebert

Watermark

RO# 33906

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  03:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aenglebert1

Thanks for the update and experience! How did you change out the part? did you have to remove the door or will it tilt enough to change out the rollers?

[/quote]
[/quote]

After gaining access by lifting the left side if the helm, we tilted the door back and replaced the top rollers only.

Mike
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Ventura, CA

Page: of 26 Topic Next Topic: Trojan 440 express front Speakers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com