BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New to forum - Just purchased a 2000 440 Trojan Topic Next Topic: Post your Carver pictures!!!
Page: of 25

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  17:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking Allen. Seems mine may be more complete than yours. I have put all of my manual on that blog you found. I guess I will go with my original plan to edit the manual until it matches my boat. lol

I did finish laying in the sub floor this weekend. I am off next weekend to SoCal for a week. I hope to get a good start on the rest of the actual flooring when I return

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered a new chartplotter, as soon as it arrives, I'll think about installing it. Other than that, I've done nothing yet...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  17:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What chartplotter did you get? I got a 740s for Christmas. Looking forward to getting that installed and using it as well.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  17:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a used Standard Horizon CP 1000c on ebay for a great price.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  17:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I am replacing. Mine was having issues so I sent it in for repair. The sent it back and it worked until about September. Then I turned it on and the display was upside down and inverted. Still have the C-Max card if you need one, just message me your snail mail and I will send it to you.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim sorry it took so long, the local sign guy I ordered thru is non responsive, anyway, I wanted Starry Night letters but too many boat bucks for me. After a lot of searching I went with plastic letters from buysignletters.com. They come with pads so it's easy to glue them on, been a year and and no prob. lifetime warranty. As I remember around $150
Allen I mounted the same grab bar some time ago, it's great

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  19:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by odvar

Jim sorry it took so long, the local sign guy I ordered thru is non responsive, anyway, I wanted Starry Night letters but too many boat bucks for me. After a lot of searching I went with plastic letters from buysignletters.com. They come with pads so it's easy to glue them on, been a year and and no prob. lifetime warranty. As I remember around $150

Got the stairs idea from you! :-)

GeeVeeBee

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  14:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm done! Hired someone else to finish. I still have to bottom paint and polish the boat.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  04:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that you cut your hand pretty good. How did you do that? I still have not put the final piece of hose from the tank to pump out yet. It is just to cold to get it flexible enough to pull the old hose out. I am afraid if I try yanking it through attached to the new his it could crack and break off in the 6' span under the fuel tank. I don't want to lift the fuel tank.

I didn't even go out there this weekend. Went to the boat shoiw in Baltimore yesterday and am boarding a flight for San Diego in a couple hours today. I will be back at it next weekend.

Allen - did you use vinyl cove base molding around the edges on your flooring?

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  05:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used FlexTrim self stick by Flexco. worked well under the couch and under the kitchen counter. For the rest and especially where its curved it didn't worked well. I am looking for flexible moulding instead. I looked at Odvar master state room floor and i liked what he have around the bed floor base. I think thats the way to go.

GeeVeeBee

Edited by - Delivering Happiness on Mar 03 2013 06:45:47

ChefJunk

RO# 28882

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  06:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by odvar

Odvar,

Thanks for the info. I was checking them out but was stuck on what ones would work. Do you know the name of the style/material you purchased? They have so many options!

Thanks,

Jim

Homeport: Sandusky, OH Go to Top of Page

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  10:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim
here is the sign co I dealt with in Bellevue Wash. asigncorb2rb2@gr5tgr5tfrontier.com It's a small co, they remember H2Office

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  16:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I was back at it today. With temps in the low 60s I decided to tackle the last piece of waste line. The one that runs under the fuel tanks and through the two bulk heads to the engine room. Only on problem. It will not budge. They used some kind of hard caulking to seal the hole the hose goes through. And it is not coming loose. I even went so far as to drill a hole through the line in the engine room and use a winch to pull on it. So I went out and got some stuff that issupposed to ddissolve the caulk. I put that on the caulk liberally, cranked it down with the winch and am hoping it has broke loose tomorrow when I go back. The only alternative way to get it out vis to lift the fuel tank up and get at the back side of those bulk heads.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  17:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two that go through that way. They told me it was a major PITA but they manage to break them free. After they pulled them out they drilled out the holes one size larger to feed the new hole through. They slip a length of metal pipe into the new hose and used a heat gun to warm the hose before trying to running into place. They had pulled a thin rope through first and made a hole in the new hose tied the rope to it and pulled it through. I watched them do this and it went very easy I was not there when they removed the old hose frankly I'm glad I missed that:) I have replaced both feeds from the vacuflush pumps into the tanks and both of the outputs to the engine room into my y valve (I know now of you have this Y valve) I plan to replace the feed into the macerator pump and the feed to the pump out. I didn't see a reason to change the hose from the toilet to the pump nothing ever sits in that hose but I can always change it later. I will not have any hose left in fact I may be a little short as it is. I know I would need 50'. Today I laid the carpet back down on the floor and reinstalled the stairs, I didn't glue the carpet yet I want to give it a chance to flatten out after having been rolled for several weeks.

John don't worry you won't have to deal with the fuel tank you will got it out! Do you own a dremel? I was thinking I would use a bit to remove the caulk at least in the engine room where there is some room. Also you may want to try using a heat gun to soften the caulk as well as the hose you will be able to work it out without a major problem.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  18:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oddly the engine side has no caulk. It is the saloon side. I am going to try to get my drml in there tomorrow

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  18:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took some yanking and cranking, still more yanking, a come along and a prayer and offering to Poseidon to finally get the old hose out but it came out. I had a friend from out of town helping me and the piece from the holding tank to the pump out was going no where. It was caulked in with 15 year old caulk and would not budge. I did try Dave's suggestion today of using the dremel as much as I could. That helped a bit but was starting to cut into the waste tube. So we fashioned a come along and started pulling on it using that. It did move a little bit but finally broke off the end of hose. So we worked it from the other direction. Finally it started to move. Mark suggested that before we risk having it break off under the fuel tank we either break something or pray. So I used the bolt we were using through the hose for the come along and we stepped on the swim platform. We offered the bolt we were using to Poseidon if he would see his way to help us get that POS hose out. We took a 5er and then went back in. I pushed from the engine room and Mark pulled from the saloon. While still difficult, it slid through and in 15 minutes it was connected to the holding tank. Not wanting to push our luck we went to lunch. Came back from lunch and within an hour the other end was routed and connected to the pump out, everything was secured and the job done.

Next time I am giving up the bolt on day 1. LOL

Now we can finally finish the floors.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  18:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, happy to hear you were able to get it done.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  20:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John it looks like you have a lot more room around you tank there is no way I could have used the PVC the bends would be much to tight to work with I had mixed emotions about trying I went the easy way and used all the same Sealand hose.

So how did you make out with the hose run? How did you remove the old hose?

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Mar 10 2013 20:27:59

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  04:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allen

Dave, there is a description of the event (yes event) above. I really wanted to use all PVC but the only way that was happening was by removing one of the fuel tanks and the batteries and splicing three sections together. The final run of hose from the tank to pump out is 28' though. I could have use PVC again once it was in the engine compartment but felt at that point it would not do much good. The hose in there does not have waste sitting in it like the hose in the bilge.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  07:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I missed that it doesn't look like you tried using a heat gun? That would have made a huge difference in the flexibility of the hose and the easy in both removing and installing the new one.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  13:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I went one step better. I got my torch on it. LOL. The problem was not the hose itself. It was the caulk they used where it goes through the bulkhead. They did not use any on the engine room side but made up for it on the saloon side. I will see if I can get a picture next weekend before I seal it back up. It goes through that bulkhead and under the fuel tank. That is about 2" thick. While I was able to get my dremel in the hole and grind out the top half, I could not get at the bottom of it. I used an entire tube of caulk dissolving paste, a pic, a screwdriver, the torch, and a whole lot of cuss words. That stuff was just not breaking up on the bottom half. I was to the point where if it did not come out after the sacrificial bolt went in to Poseidon I was going to run the fuel transfer pump and put all the fuel in the starboard tank, lift up the port tank enough to get at that bilge and cut the whole works out. I am really glad it did not come to that. In 5 years I am going to replace that section of hose on GP. Before it has a chance to harden or weld itself in place.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  13:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When will you keep working on the floor?

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  14:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are hoping to lay the floor next weekend. My wife is recarpeting the stairs next weekend as well. I have to work the weekend after that. Seems time has gotten away from me but we should be able to at least stay on the boat by Easter.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  16:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you need a spare set of stairs let me know! My original is in the garage :-)

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  10:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the boat yesterday and checked on the progress I was happy to see the Rudders were back on the trim tabs have been replaced and the waste line job is complete. I replaced the hoses leading to from the vacuflush pumps to each of the tanks then the hoses from the tanks to the Y valve in the engine room then the hoses from the output of the Y valve heading to both the pumpout deck fitting as well as the feed to the macerator. It this point my to do list is shrinking speaking of which I removed the shrink wrap yesterday as well. I'm planning to start cleaning up as soon as the weather breaks. I also decided to add another transducer so that I can add sonar and temperature to my Garmin GPS. Things are moving forward fast now I hope to be in be 4/15.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  17:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allen. I will keep that in mind.

Dave - What was wrong with your rudders? And do you really need another transducer? Couldn't you just use a new insert in the one you have? A triducer maybe?

I did finally get started in earnest laying the wood floors. While it may not look like we made much progress, it is getting the hatches and cuts around them that take the most time. Once we are around the big hatch the rest of the saloon will go quick. However, that hardest parts are yet to come in the two suites. One thing I will say, the wood that I picked is hard as a rock. I have already burned through one blade.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  18:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John it looks like you are making head way!
As for the rudders Sandy happened to then, they got a little beat up in the storm nothing major but I had the remove all new bushings machined repacked and reinstalled. The Trims were bent to hell and the swim platform got banged up a little as well.

The transducer I currently have a B&G depth finder that works great even in shallow water I don't want to mess with that but I want to add the sonar and temp to my Garmin. This is something I had on my last boat and have missed since I upgraded so I figured now would be a good time to add it. I'm in the home stretch now Spring is here and it time for some boating to begin!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  20:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the color and love how it looks, I think I should have gone with a darker color as well, more brownish. Looking good.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  13:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really liking how the color is coming out too. I thought it might be a bit to dark but when combined with the light uppers it works really good. It is just painstakingly slow. Every piece in and around the hatches is a custom cut. I am certainly glad I did not open up all of the hatches. Every piece would have been a custom cut.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  18:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will stick with carpet!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  19:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds worse than it really is Dave. It is kind of like building a puzzle and putting it together. The toughest part is not having the stairs. I have had a friend who is here from AZ helping me or it would really be tough. The saw and rigging is set up in the cockpit. The next couple days working on it I will be on my own so I will have to climb in and out each time. Its a good work out. I took this Friday off to work on it as I have to work Saturday.I am hoping to finish the saloon so I can put the stairs in Sunday.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  19:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see you making more progress. I think it will come out great! And most important YOU BUILT IT!!! :-)

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  17:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ater four months, the stairs are finally back in, sort of. I don't actually have the steps on them yet but it is there. They are just set in place. I will be back at in on Friday and hope to finish out the wood and the stair. As well as dewinterize next weekend. Summer is almost here!!

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  17:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

I think I will stick with carpet!

Getting rid of carpet is the best thing I have done.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  18:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only carpet we will have left will be the stairs and steps on either side of the master SR.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  18:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really great, same as Mike, the carpet stinks. After removing there is a new scent in the boat!! Love the color you chose. The hatch looking good as well. Was on the boat today, move the gen battery a little so I can swing by the starboard engine easier.also did a lot of cleaning.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  19:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allen. I agree on the smell. Carpet holds onto a lot of smells. Next winter I may try to build me a set of stairs like yours.

I have so much cleaning to do. There is dust everywhere from the sawing and sanding.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  20:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great but I'm still sticking to carpet. I have just always been a carpet person even in my homes. I hate cold feet:) I will give it more thought when and if my carpet wears out in the meantime it looks like new even after removing and reinstalling it to do the waste lines. But I have to say I like the look of what you have done and it's looks like you have done a great job installing it!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  06:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. It has been a slow painstaking process. Much more difficult than my house was. I will say it is very rewarding doing the work myself. I like to work with my hands and my current job(or even many of my past jobs) does not allow for that. Doing this is a great release of that for me. No matter how hard it is.

I don't like cold feet much either. There will be a couple well placed rugs for that. Those can be taken out and washed occasionally. We are using rugs cut to fit for the stairs rather than carpet. We are also purchasing a matching 5x8 rug and having a 5' diameter circular rug cut and bound from it.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  05:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
It looks great! I am sure once it is complete, you will be appreciating it even more.
Who is the manufacturer and what is the thickness?

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  10:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. I bought it at CostCo. Off the top of my head I think it is 3/16" thick. I will take a picture of the package cover Friday and post it. I should be done with most of the flooring by Friday. Spending the weekend on the boat this weekend. fingers crossed.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  10:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job John! You will love it. No cold feet with a couple of rugs. I got a round one for under the table and a matching rectangular one for the gally, on line, huge selection and great price. Take them out and powerwash them. I left carpet in the bedrooms and it's amazing how hard it is to keep them clean. Wood no prob. With wood steps, think about some non skidd, I had to add it to mine.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  13:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odvar I was going to ask about the none skid. I dont have it uet on mine because since I did my stairs I didn't use the boat so i wondered about that. I guess i will just have to install.. Did you use anything in particular?

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  16:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Odvar. That is one of the reasons I decided to recarpet the stairs for now. I can not think of an anti-skid the would look the way I want. One thing I did consider was to make oak stairs (they sell it in 4' bullnose sections at HD. Cut it in half, stain and you have a stair. If you were to cut 6 grooves a 1/4" deep starting 2" from the front and staying 3" off the edges. And 1" apart you would have pretty good non-skid. However, I am afraid the dogs would get there toe nails caught in it. So for now I have abandoned that idea.

Here is the progress I made today. I am down to the really time consuming part now. All the fill pieces around the edges. I think I will likely wrap up the laying of the wood tomorrow and maybe get the re-carpeted stairs in. I have not decided what I want to do around the edges yet. The fiberglass in the stateroom is a different color than the vinyl wall covering.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  17:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NICE!!! Great work, looking really good. The edges are a hard one, same here didn't decide yet! Let me know if you make a decision.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  19:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Now that you know what you are doing you can come do mine:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allen and Dave.

Right now I am going to use brown silicone sealant on the edges.

Dave, I thought you wanted to keep your carpet.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  20:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do but it looks so nice:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  07:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks really nice! Nice job!

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  05:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott. I am liking the way I this turning out too.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: New to forum - Just purchased a 2000 440 Trojan Topic Next Topic: Post your Carver pictures!!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.84 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com