BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: cepaul ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cockpit yhact 500 Topic Next Topic: Tachometer for 98 350 Mariner
Page: of 25

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  16:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally finished laying in the floors today. Still have a few odds and ends to wrap up though. Like staining the edge of the last hatch and replacing the door frames and doors. Also got two of thee stairs down and laid them in place to see how they will look.

Master Stateroom

Guest SR

Saloon

Stairs

A couple of folks have asked what I used. Well this is it.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Edited by - jmeirhofer on Mar 31 2013 16:27:25

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  16:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!!! Really looking good. It really looks like it is a decade newer and so much more modern. I love hoe the master state room came out, any plans for the edges? I still don't know what to use, was looking for flexible trim but didn't find something I like too much.

GeeVeeBee

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  19:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allen. I cut everything very tight. My plan for the edges right now is to mix some taupe and bronze silicone sealant together to make a brown color that matches the wood. I plan to seal all of the edges with that. I will spread it in with a putty knife and use a damp sponge to clean up the excess. Similar to what you do when you caulk baseboards in shower surrounds. Depending on how it turns out I may not use anything for moulding on the edges.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  20:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my case I have to use molding. Not just because of the space. The previously owner installed new carpet didn't remove the old on and in the process put cuts on the fabric on the sides in every room. And he owned a carpet company! Dumb!!!

GeeVeeBee

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, wow, looks really great! Makes me want to remove my carpet, when I wasn't even considering it. lol.

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

westrong

RO# 28622

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  19:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures don't do this floor justice. I'm just wondering how long it took you to clean up all that sawdust in the aft cockpit.

Homeport: Balto., MD Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  19:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wes. Who says the sawdust is gone? Lol. I ran out of time Sunday to clean up. I hope to be back Friday to get that done as well as mount the stairs.

Allen, are you saying they put new carpet over the old? That would have been even worse. To bad they cut up the vinyl.

Scott do it. You won't regret it.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  19:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeirhofer

Allen, are you saying they put new carpet over the old? That would have been even worse. To bad they cut up the vinyl.

YES, exactly. It stunk even more. The first thing I did was to remove the new carpet. Wasn't even marine grade.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  20:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sucks. It was bad enough pulling out the one layer I had. Even with a mask on I still had enough dust to kick up my allergies for a couple days. And the pad under it was worse. Including what I think was mold, although the pad was also green.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  09:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used regular base shoe for the straight runs and matching flex molding for the cuved areas, stained it to match and it works great. Some places I used hot glue to hold it in place since I have laminate floor so nailing was limited.
For the wood steps I mixed none skid powder in varnish and brushed it on the front edge,not the best way, got a little uneven, but it works. To do it again I would try clear none skid tape.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Homeport: meydenbauer bay, wash Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  06:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well after four months, the floors are finally done. I have a few trim items left to wrap up and we need to get the rug cut and bound to fit the space. One thing I did not anticipate was the fact that with the wood and the sub-floor my hand rail is now 3/4" taller. We that does not quite work to bolt it back in place so I need to find a welding shop to cut 3/4" off the bottom and weld the foot back on. I will be away from the boat for the next couple of weekends but when I return I can finally start putting everything away and get to cleaning and polishing the outside.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  06:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you clean and polish in the water? And the floor looking really great!

GeeVeeBee

Edited by - Delivering Happiness on Apr 08 2013 06:45:54

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  06:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the water line up. We have the dock finger on one side that actually goes about a foot past the bow. I can either use the dingy on the other or just bow in for a couple of weekends. Of course the cockpit and interior is much easier. Not my area of responsibility to clean. LOL!! I did de-winterize the freshwater and A/C systems this weekend. Should be able to get to the motors and genset the first weekend of May.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  06:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job! Most feel good to be in the home stretch. I feel like I will never be done with the cleaning and waxing. I also spent a few days upgrading the electronics. I have to install my new VHF as soon as it gets here and I have to make a dash panel out of carbon fiber to finish cleaning up my temporary install of a few years ago.
As soon as I launch I will bring the boat to a local canvas shop to have my new top made and hopefully a new bow cushions as well. I plan to order new cockpit carpet on line I have to make templates to send them.
I'm looking forward to all my projects to be done!

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  07:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. Are the projects ever done? My cockpit carpet is in really good shape but in a few years when I replace it I will go with something like flexiteak. I do still have to do some work on the helm. I have new gauges to install and a new chartplotter. I will need to figure out some time to do that as well.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  12:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave I was doing some cleaning in my garage and came across my other canvas for the boat.
It's in great shape with a camper style back.
It's black only used a couple of seasons, the boat is under cover so the plastic is great.If you think you can use it the price is right.
I have a different setup for my top so I will never use it.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  12:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, what place are you using for the cockpit carpets?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  12:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by odvar

Dave I was doing some cleaning in my garage and came across my other canvas for the boat.
It's in great shape with a camper style back.
It's black only used a couple of seasons, the boat is under cover so the plastic is great.If you think you can use it the price is right.
I have a different setup for my top so I will never use it.

Can you PM me the info about it, I might be interested.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  17:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what to send you. I could maybe try and take some pics on my phone and send it to your phone.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  20:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odvar This is very nice of you but I'm not looking for a camper back the color is right as I'm sure the price but it's just not what I'm looking for if Hogan can use it this would be great! However Mike don't you have new canvas? I could use a new bow cushion cover if anyone has an extra:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

Dave, what place are you using for the cockpit carpets?

https://corinthian-marine-carpet.com/auth/sign_in

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  21:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by odvar

Not sure what to send you. I could maybe try and take some pics on my phone and send it to your phone.

I sent you an email

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Edited by - HOGAN on Apr 08 2013 21:09:39

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 30 2013 :  15:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know someone posted in the past about water getting into the saloon bilge via the the bilge in the lazarette. any other thought (other then the anchor room). i don't have a through hull from the lazarette to the saloon. driving me crazy.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 30 2013 :  16:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen someone once post and idea of pouring powder in the bilge to see the direction of the leak as the water enters it will wash away the powder leaving a tell tale sign of where it's coming from. Do you still here your pump coming on? Is the water fresh water?

As for projects I believe my new cockpit carpet should arrive tomorrow, I can't wait to bring it up to the boat!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 30 2013 :  16:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is the saloon bilge so yes i hear the pump coming on once in a while. it is fresh water or more accurately rain water. it is coming in from the left side of the saloon bilge.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 30 2013 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was referring to your water pressure pump not your bilge pump. I'm thinking it is more likely a small pin hole in a water line, I had that the first year I bought the boat and what a nightmare to find but I located a bad fitting.

How well do you monitor the water level in the fresh water tank?

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on May 30 2013 16:26:33

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 30 2013 :  16:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

I was referring to your water pressure pump not your bilge pump. I'm thinking it is more likely a small pin hole in a water line, I had that the first year I bought the boat and what a nightmare to find but I located a bad fitting.

How well do you monitor the water level in the fresh water tank?

not monitoring the water level in the tank so well but i don't think this is it. i would have heard the pump working, very sensitive to that.
i will show you this weekend.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 30 2013 :  19:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My carpet just showed up a day early go figure:) I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 30 2013 :  19:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

My carpet just showed up a day early go figure:) I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Nice!!!

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - May 30 2013 :  19:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THought I would give a final update to this thread. I finally wrote a blog about it all. You can read it here.

http://missgnomie.blogspot.com/

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 30 2013 :  20:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great blog I learned something new:) I wasn't sure my two water heater were factory back now I know it was, interesting. I don't know any other boat our size with two. Looks like you have done a great job with the upgrades keep up the good work I love these boats!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - May 30 2013 :  20:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice John. I am sure I need to clean the heat exchangers and after coolers as well. I hope to get to it this summer. Great work you did on your boat.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  19:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave - Funny part is, I only have one water heater. There are so many variations to what my owners manual says vs. what I have it really renders it to fun reading material not useful for anything else. I am in the process of re-writing the entire thing to match my boat. It will probably take me the better part of the next year to complete that. Anyway, to me the water heater I do have is so much in the way I am trying to figure out where I can relocate it too. I have considered moving it to the left side of the trunk, tucking it under the port side. Not having it on the Starboard side makes it so easy to get around that motor it would be worth it. I am also considering moving the glendenning barrel back there too. With my two 8Ds in the center bilge between the motors I don't have to worry about moving around them. And I measured the space last week and I can put two more down there along with the genny battery.

Allen - Thanks for the compliments. Most of the ideas and inspiration come from right here at BE. This coming winter I intend to take both heat exchangers and aftercoolers off and send them out to a radiator shop for a good cleaning. At least a better job than I can do. I really do need to update that blog with the other projects I have taken on and completed. This months project is to rebuild that shelf in the anchor locker that directs the rain water out of the boat over the anchor. And add a through hull drain for the anchor locker. Oh, the fun times of being a boat owner. lol

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  19:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Allen - Thanks for the compliments. Most of the ideas and inspiration come from right here at BE. This coming winter I intend to take both heat exchangers and aftercoolers off and send them out to a radiator shop for a good cleaning. At least a better job than I can do. I really do need to update that blog with the other projects I have taken on and completed. This months project is to rebuild that shelf in the anchor locker that directs the rain water out of the boat over the anchor. And add a through hull drain for the anchor locker. Oh, the fun times of being a boat owner. lol
[/quote]
Let me know if you have a place in mind to where to ship the after coolers and heat exchangers. I was going to clean them my self but your idea sound better :-)

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  19:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually by ship off I meant take to a local shop around the Baltimore area somewhere. Having someone else do it to me is a better way to go. They can pressure test them and repair anything they find questionable. I am sure I can get some good local recommendations from some of the BE folks in this area. I am sure you would be able to send them there as well. I think local is better though as if there are problems with them you can discuss it face to face rather than try to do it over the phone or through email.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  20:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cleaning them yourself is a very easy DIY job. Check out Tony Athen's article about how to do it on Boatdiesel. You can get the right gaskets from him for about $20.

Knock the inside of the after cooler out, spray the fins with brake cleaner and use a .22 gun cleaning kit to clean out the tubes.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  20:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

Cleaning them yourself is a very easy DIY job. Check out Tony Athen's article about how to do it on Boatdiesel. You can get the right gaskets from him for about $20.

Knock the inside of the after cooler out, spray the fins with brake cleaner and use a .22 gun cleaning kit to clean out the tubes.

Mike you and Allen have the same motors I believe, John and I have the Cats not sure the process is the same but I would love to do them as well. I'm much more comfortable with electrical and plumbing projects screwing up the motors scares the hell out of me.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  21:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it John.
Mike I read Tony's article on boat diesel, you referred me to boat diesel for something else. Do you order the gasket from him? What is a .22 gun?

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  21:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really Allen coming from you this is surprising, it's how you spent your youth! A 22 caliber rifle cleaning kit has the proper size rods and brushes at least this is what Mike is saying I wouldn't have a clue. I have never seen a gun before:)

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  22:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duhhh :-) I miss read. I thought it was some sort of a "cleaning gun"... Dave thanks for clarifying in simple language! :-)

GeeVeeBee

odvar

RO# 32463

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  16:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen
I finaly solved an almost 10 year old problem, I hate water in the bliges.I always got water in the garage bilge when I was running.No connetion to the rest of the other bilges,right?
Well, one day I hear a bilge pump running! I hand pump all out but a few days later lots of water in the cabin bilge! Dry out and see water coming from aft. Finaly find a pinhole in the port stringer in the engin room, me into the garage and find lots of water up to the big holes there, wire to the bilge pumpe broken, fix it pump out and dry out, soon more water. I had just loaded the dinky on the swimplatform and that lowered the boat enough to bring the waterlevel above the top of the rudder shaft tube, and the seal to the hull was shot. Therefore water in during running! Filled it with Boat Life underwater sealer and life is good again.

Odvar
H2OFFICE

2000 TROJAN 440 EXPRESS

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  17:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike - I could do it myself. I know it is really not that difficult to clean out the heat ex-changer but the after cooler is a bit different. Just as easy to take them both somewhere and have them cleaned and pressure tested. That way if they find any potential issue they can take care of it then. While they have the innards, I can bead blast and paint the casings. Good winter project at the Auto Hobby Shop on base. I may also rebuild the starters and alternators this winter if I can find a good electrical shop here.

Odvar - I feel the same way. Eventually I will have a dry bilge as well. I too believe I have water coming from the garage. I have not sealed the lid with gaskets yet like you have but do intend to do that this summer. The leaking in has rotted the floor of the garage which I need to replace as well. On a dry warm day with a dry warm bilge I plan to run water into the garage bilge and test my theory. I know very little is coming from the anchor locker now as I have put a hose from the 1" tube that leads from there to the bilge and connected it to my shower sump. When it rains the water runs down the tube into the hose and out the shower sump. It is not glued in so a little water does get by but not so much that should cause that much water to be in the center bilge. That is why I think it has to come from the garage.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  18:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have water running forward from the garage through the stracture beam on both port and SB side. the deference is on the port side there is a drain to the cabin bilge but not on the SB side. there os actually no drain hole from the SB side which leads me to belive this is the reason my boat is listing to the SB side, new problem.I just discovered there was no hose in the hole they put in the stracture beam to drain the water to the center bilge in the garage. I put a 2 inch through hull with a hose to the center bilge on both sides, used a lot of silicon to seal the hole with the through hull. Water are now running into the main center bilge but I am still getting water in the cabin bilge. Can't figure it out. Found this out when I did new floors to my garage. Very frustrated with the water situation.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  19:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen - what did you use in repairing your floor? Under my floor there is a tube through the beam from the outboard of both sides to both the port and starboard bilge and again from each of those to the center bilge. And I get a lot of water in there when it rains hard or I wash the boat. Oddly that bilge pump is the strongest of the bunch based on the stream it puts out. However that pump is up a couple inches off the bottom so it never gets all of he water. I never get water in he bilges of the engine room or the outboard bilges of the salon. I get plenty in the center bilge when it rains or I wash the boat. By the end of summer I will have a dry bilge whether it is raining or getting washed.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  19:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I simply replaced the whole floor. I assume yours is like Dave's and it is fiberglass, mine was 3 platform of painted pli wood. Cheap. The tube you were referring to is MIA on my boat, non NADA. Dumb. They probably forgot to install it. Stop the water is on top of my list. I think I stopped the water from leaking into the boat from the arch. I will take pictures of what I did and post.

GeeVeeBee

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  19:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen - mine is three wood painted wood panels as well. I thought when I replace them I would put a few coats of epoxy on them.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  19:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably a good idea, I didn't mount mine back, I don't see the point. I want to keep it easy to remove and replace.

GeeVeeBee

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  20:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen mine is wood as well, it's just painted so I guess you thought it was fiberglass. I may use another coat of epoxy paint when I get a chance this is not high on my list. I too would like to eliminate the water in the bilge so I think I will want until you guys figure this out and then do whatever you do:) I wouldn't mind so much if I had access panels to open and pump out the water, removing the carpet and pulling up the floor it a job so it does not get done often. Allen gave me a hand this past weekend and we pumped out a lot of water I have no idea where it came from, at least it didn't smell!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  19:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to see but at the top SB of the arch (same on port) there was a drain hole that had a hose running to a drain hole in the back of the arch. Not sure if it is manufacture or owners work. I sealed it with a plastic cap. The hose was leaking inside the arch. No hose no leak inside the arch. now it leaks badly onto the wet bar SB side and on the mid seat of the port side. Then i took a few stripes of door seal with back glue. That stopped the leaking almost completely. Need a little more work.

Easier to see the plastic cap i placed to closed the hole and the stripes i glued.

Inside cap i attached

GeeVeeBee

Edited by - Delivering Happiness on Jun 06 2013 19:24:49

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  20:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My front canvas goes under rather than over. I think that is part of my problem.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Cockpit yhact 500 Topic Next Topic: Tachometer for 98 350 Mariner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com