BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Swabbing the Decks!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: test Topic Next Topic: Cat boat sailing  

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  00:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered why the Decks must be swabbed.
I have a librovox audio-book called "Dog Watches at sea"

I don't know what the Dog watch is. Nor do I know what 8 Bells mean.
But this is a pretty good story.

However, swabbing the decks is a question.
On the Troop ship, we had guys on mops all day and night. If not the Puke would have been an inch deep overnight.
But other guys were mopping the other decks.
What for?
What's the reason they don't put a Salt Water pump to work and rinse the decks. (and our bunk holds as well)
Conservative in every sense of the word.

Homeport: AL.

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  01:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answers: The 0400 to o800 watch is split to accomodate the morning meal and rotote the watch sections so that one section doesn't get the midwatch every night the shortened watch is called the dog watch.

A ship uses bells to announce the time on watch.Eight bells would be either midnight or 0400 or 0800 or 1200,1600.or 2000 since watches are normally 4 hours(except the dog watch) unless a shortage of personnel affects the nomber of watch sections. The oncoming watch begins counting bells again at 1 bell on the half hour and adds one bell each hal hour until the end of that watch at 9 bells again. Now ya know.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  01:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This link explains "bells" and "dog watch" rather neatly.

As for "swab": swab mop; also pejorative for sailor, so named because sailors of wooden ships had to swab the decks to keep them from warping.

That said, That said, cleanliness is next to "admiral-iness", and is appropriate for keeping inactive sailors busy. Also, one very good reason for a sailor to swab the deck is because the Bosun said it needed it to be done. I'll let YOU ask the Bosun "why?"!!!

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  09:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were ARMY on a NAVY ship transporting to Korea.
The Sailors thought they were hauling Animals of some lower class. We thought the ship was manned by Sailors who'd committed some horrible sin and were castigated to the Cattle haul in lieu of Brig time.

On a Troop ship, chipping and brushing is akin to Police call on Terra Firma.
Or Picking up Cigarette butt's and anything else that didn't grow on that ground.
Words fail me as I try to tell you how much I enjoyed that all-expense trip to the Orient with those Swabbies.

Thanks for the edit on Bells and Dog watch.

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  11:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When deck swabbing started, there was no such thing as electricity to operate the pumps. Hell, pumps had not been invented yet!

Maritime traditions last a long, long time......

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  20:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late edit to my post on bells and dog watches. Last line.. watch ends and next watch takes over at 8 bells. If the bell strikes 9 somebody got some splainin' to do.

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  09:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troop ship had Bells but only when the Fog was thick. The rest of the announcements were by Fog Horn!

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  10:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different bells. Bell indicating time on watch is small bell rang over intercom. Fog bells are much larger, outside and forward. Outside signal in fog aft is a gong, not a bell.

Previous Topic: test Topic Next Topic: Cat boat sailing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.16 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com