BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 South Florida Boating Club
 New Boating Area
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fishing trip march 1st fort launder dale Topic Next Topic: Key West reasonable marinas for after Xmas?  

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  11:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought a second home (condo) in Hobe Sound. I haven't boated much there so I was wondering what the inter-coastal was like between Jupiter Inlet and St Lucie inlet. Any nice places to hang out for the day and swim or just drop the hook and have lunch for the day. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Gary

Homeport: Branford, CT

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  12:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ve passed thru many times and often anchored in hobe sound, south of the bridge as it s more or less a day run from MIA when heading north. Nice and peaceful

The anchorage on the eat side if the ICW just south of st lucie inlet, by the park is popular but too shallow for me (6'+)

Hooker cove just inside the at lucie river is a nice spot to drop the hook as well

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

sortie

RO# 2043

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PascalG is right on. Great area for leisure cruseing and hanging out. Near Stuart are some good spots, including the area around Mainteee Pocket.

Great varea,you will enjoy. Welcome to Florida.

John

Life is To Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Homeport: Merritt Island, FL Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  19:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peck lake is the anchorage i couldn't remember the name of, in the east side of ICW south of St lucie inlet... There is a state park and beach, supposed to be nice

Never been in manatee pocket because of draft

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  08:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guy's for the info. We are not retired yet but plan to spend as much time as we can in Fl and golf as much as possible. I think we will rent a boat a couple of times and check the inter-coastal out. Only an hour to Miami from Hobe sound?? I might have to bring the Searay down.

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  11:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It s not an hour from hobe sound to Miami! It's about 100 miles or so. Inside at hull speed it's a long day. Outside it depends on your cruise speed and conditions.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  13:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GAJ -

I don't want to be too much of a nit picker, but if you move down there, you'll want to know the actual name of the waterway. It's the INTRAcoastal waterway. (Not INTERcoastal waterway.)

Enjoy the move. Nice area.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Edited by - Chesagansett on Nov 29 2012 13:19:22

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

jmas

RO# 4313

Posted - Nov 30 2012 :  19:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve and Helen, Friends visiting from NY couple of years ago. While giving them a boat ride along the ICW, Steve was taking movies with a video camera and describing the sights he was seeing, in his Yugoslavian accent he described the "Beautiful Intercoursal" waterway.
Steve has passed away since but we remember the laugh we had with our friends every time we watch the Video.

Joe M.
Luhrs 340 Express Fish

Homeport: Pompano Fla. Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  14:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Technically, either may be correct depending on where you are, since the INTRA coastal connects inshore points of the same coast while the INTERcoastal connects different coasts. I suppose you could correctly call the Okeechobee canal an intercoastal waterway as well as some of those areas that connect the Gulf and Atlantic near Miami. LOL, my $0.02.
quote:
Originally posted by Chesagansett

GAJ -

I don't want to be too much of a nit picker, but if you move down there, you'll want to know the actual name of the waterway. It's the INTRAcoastal waterway. (Not INTERcoastal waterway.)

Enjoy the move. Nice area.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  07:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just returned home (CT) from 2 weeks in Fl (Hobe Sound) We rented an 18 ft bow rider for a day in Stuart. Checked out Stuart area then headed south to Jupiter. Great ride south until I got to Jupiter Inlet. It was windy that day and I took one look at that mess and didn't even try. So the next day I took a ride to Jupiter Park and walked out there. Leaving the Inlet doesn't seem to bad but coming in can be tricky. Any thoughts or experience on this Inlet. How about St Lucie Inlet?

Thanks

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  07:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,
Your friend may of been right! It is the intercoursal waterway!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=03dc5a3a26

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Edited by - CurrentSea on Feb 14 2013 08:15:27

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  07:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave- that is funny !!!

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  11:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GAJ

Just returned home (CT) from 2 weeks in Fl (Hobe Sound) We rented an 18 ft bow rider for a day in Stuart. Checked out Stuart area then headed south to Jupiter. Great ride south until I got to Jupiter Inlet. It was windy that day and I took one look at that mess and didn't even try. So the next day I took a ride to Jupiter Park and walked out there. Leaving the Inlet doesn't seem to bad but coming in can be tricky. Any thoughts or experience on this Inlet. How about St Lucie Inlet?

Thanks

My only thought about Jupiter Inlet is "avoid it".

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Fishing trip march 1st fort launder dale Topic Next Topic: Key West reasonable marinas for after Xmas?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com