BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Sea Ray Owners
 Cabin updating
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Interior Carpet Replacement Topic Next Topic: 2002 300 Sundancer owners?  

Bigblue

RO# 32900

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of removing all of the carpeting and headliner in my 88 340 EC. I have heard things regarding the 2 rails that run down the center of the bow. To my surprise when I removed the first half(galley area) of the headliner, the aft 2 mounting points on the rails had no thru bolts!? Were they counter sunk and filled for a smooth headliner install? If so do I try finding the mounting poin, drilling out and removing it then re seal them? I do not have any water problems there as of now, but I was wondering if I should re-bed them if I am doing the headliner?

Anyone with any experience in this headliner area would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the floor is going, I am leveling off any dips or imperfections with fairing fillerand using an adhesive backed vinyl hardwood floor.

Floor should be easy, mounting the headliner up should be intersting. We are thinking of a commercial carpet....wonder how the glue will do on the initial hold?

Homeport: Waretown, NJ

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  21:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigblue
I am working in my forward stateroom and have removed the headliner as well. Multi tool works great. My rails are mounted the same as yours. No thru bolts. No leaks. However I have several stantions that are leaking. Remove inside glass skin, found damaged wet area about 6" in dia around stantions. Using West System to repair with 404 filler. If any future leaks occur no damage to coring. Scince you have gone thru all this trouble in removing headliner. In my opinion, you should use a foam backed vinyl, they make a headliner version with small holes or a soild one. I am using the soild one. I have changed colors al together. The old color was a light blue. Now off white or biege oyster. We have already finished the salon and galley area. On flooring we went with Lonseal vinyl teak & holly. Plasteak out of Akron, Ohio has all the hatch trim edging, rollers and glue. Very easy to install. Just make templates.

Ron

Edited by - DUSTCUTTER on Dec 02 2012 21:12:45

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Bigblue

RO# 32900

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  05:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

I to had some leaking stantions for my bow rails. Before the cold weather set in I lifted and rebeded the ones in my forward birth. I plan on getting to the rest of them before I get back in the water.

After a serious rain I found water on the floor next to a closet. I couldnt figure out where it was coming from. When I was digging around the closet, I traced the wetness back up to the front of my port sliding window. One screw backed out and the seal was broken. I resealed it and the problem was solved. It didnt get wet even with the driving rains from sandy.

Where did you find the foam backed vinyl headliner?

Thanks,

Bill

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  07:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigblue
There are several places to get the foam backed vinyl from. Retail is approx $19 per lin yd. 55" wide X 12" = $19. Your local boat canvas guy, Joanan Fabricks, I used Marine Liquidators in Ft. Pierce, Fl. $9.00 per yd. If you are doing this job yourself. Add 15% to 20% extra to allow for mistakes. 3M super adhesive spray. 3M adhesive spray clean up for overspray and vinyl clean up. We pulled out the whole fron stateroom, including head. Nothing will remain the same. The update is a major improvement. Lightens up the boat. Also revarnished all the teak while it was out. We do one room at a time over the winter. Electric sissors and multi tool are worth their in gold. When you remove the old headliner some of the glue and foam will remain. Use a wire brush on the end of a drill to remove. Lightly wipe down with 3M adhesive spray remover. Start in the center and work one side at a time. Use hideum for you seams. Check out you tube sites. Do not press hard.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Bigblue

RO# 32900

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  13:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will be going up to my local guy and checking out different materials. Of course I will be bringing the Mrs with me to approve! I will be doing this myself, so i definitely want it to be easy to install.

Thanks! Ill keep you posted

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  16:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about some pictures? We ROs just love to see beginning, work-in-progress and final results!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Bigblue

RO# 32900

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  06:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will document this project for sure this time! When the boat got up on the hard I winterized it. That same weekend I was thinking about the project and I ripped out the carpet! I dont have a lot of pictures yet, but I will post the couple I have.

Bigblue

RO# 32900

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  20:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I got my anchor, so now I can upload photos....how would I go about doing this?? Then I can post!

Previous Topic: Interior Carpet Replacement Topic Next Topic: 2002 300 Sundancer owners?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com