boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: wwalljr ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Ethanol in diesel fuel???
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Manifold/Riser Replacement Topic Next Topic: Racors On A Gas Boat?  

Pathfinder

RO# 30649

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  12:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The staff at the local West Marine store here in Virginia promotes the use of Startron combination gas/diesel ethanol treatment for diesels "since diesel fuel now contains ethanol." I've never heard of such a thing.

In September, I brought my diesel powered boat from Florida to Virginia via the ICW, refueling in every state along the route. Nowhere did I see any indication of ethanol in diesel.

I started to argue with the WM folks but thought I check with the Boater Ed brain trust to see if any of you have ever heard of this.
2001 Sea Ray 400 Sedan Bridge
Cummins 8.3L Turbos

Homeport: Colonial Beach, VA

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems it is possible but there would need to be a sticker on the pump if they did.

http://www.ethanol-information.com/ediesel.php

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  22:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note that the decrease in economy when ethanol is mixed with diesel and run in a diesel engine would be greater than when the same % of ethanol is mixed with gasoline & burned in a gas engine.

The pump sticker may be a state to state (or local) requirement as I believe some areas were not required to post E10 gas.

The link above does say special permission must be obtained for on-road use , but it may be possible a dock station could add it in an experimental area. Maybe it would keep diesel engines cleaner once all the diesel gradoo in the tanks clogged up the system and was cleaned out. I wonder if ethanol would act as a biocide in place of owner-additives? It kills the worm in tequila bottles doesn't it?

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  23:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesel in Canada has no ethanol but it is now officially B2.
2% biodiesel, I carry extra filters as it does have a cleaning effect on tanks and fuel lines.
It is slightly less sooty as well.

Gary Peck 1997 Bayliner 3988 MY, twin 330 Cummins

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List

Homeport: Toronto, Lake Ontario Go to Top of Page

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  07:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy; Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  10:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh! Heh! Sandy,, at 2-10% alcohol, you may just get happy bugs. The tequila worms just couldn't drink as much as you.

there was a line in a movie "...life will out". There's supposed to be bugs that can live in hydro-chloric acid.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Dec 14 2012 :  14:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you switch from b2 diesel to bio-diesel carry several spare filters because the bio will kill evwerything the fuel( read algae etc. ) and quickly and seriously clog filters. When we switched to bio in trucks we would change fuel filters after each tank for about three days and then as needed. Switching back and forth is really expensive.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Startron is snake oil.

No diesel in our area has any biofuels or ethanol. So, we don't have to worry yet.
And if they do, the last thing I would put in my tank is Startron.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biodiesel is one thing, but there would be no need or use for ethanol in diesel fuel. I think the folks at West Marine were either misinformed or they misunderstood you or vice versa.

Biodiesel at 2% is reputed to actually be a good thing, actually better than some of the commercial additives.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  16:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

Seems it is possible but there would need to be a sticker on the pump if they did.

http://www.ethanol-information.com/ediesel.php

You realize, I hope, that that website promotes ethanol.

I would take any information presented there with a grain or two of salt.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

absolute

RO# 31985

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  20:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gov has been experimenting with a blend of ethanol and diesel for years, but have received opposing views from the manufacturers.

As for diesel with ethanol at the pump, no. However there was a report that came to us in September this year that addressed some corrosion issues in ULSD tanks believed to be linked to ethanol.

Absolute

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"

Homeport: fl Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Manifold/Riser Replacement Topic Next Topic: Racors On A Gas Boat?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.78 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com