BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Sea Ray Owners
 I'd like opinions / advice
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Leaky window or windows - How to reseal it? EC39 Topic Next Topic: 1979 260 Sundancer - Seating Ideas  

mbr760

RO# 25277

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  06:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am back in the boat market and looking for a quality cruiser, 27-34', 2002 or newer, twin screw or IO and would like your observations. My fist question has to do with selling prices. I know asking prices are generally best case scenarios for sellers but what are these boats actually selling for these days? Is there a % off asking price that is a good starting place for an initial offer or is it just a crap shoot? Secondly, I'd like your opinions on overall quality. I know we're all passionate about out boats so it's not my intention to start any arguments, just to solicit opinions and hopefully get some specifics behind those opinions. I've generally concluded from my reading that boats fall into one of four quality tiers: top of the line, premium, good and entry level. Here is my observation. Feel free to re-rank, agree or disagree but I would greatly appreciate objective examples of why (or not) a boat brand gets a better or worse rating.
Top of the line: Tierra, Formula, Cobalt; Premium: Sea Ray, Four Winns, Cruisers, Doral; Good: Regal, Chapparal, Rinker, Larson, Monterey, Maxum, Crownline; Entry: Bayliner. I purposely left out some because they don't seem to be big in the SC class (Carver, Silverton, Meridian, etc.) and a couple simply because the styling doesn't do anything for me (Chris Craft, Wellcraft). So that's it. I'd prefer inboard but in this class it looks like the IOs dominate. For the record, those top tier boats are probably out of my price range so, realistically I'm likely looking at the premium and average tier boats. And, finally, it looks like power-wise you get either Merc or Volvo Penta in about any of them so not so concerned with that aspect, more concerned with quality of build. Thanks to all! I look forward to getting your input.

Homeport: Knoxville, TN

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  07:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will get a million opinions on which boats are better but your classifications are not far off. As far as percentage off, it is a total crap shoot. All you have to do is go on Yachtworld and search amy boat using a three year range and you can see huge variantons in the same year as well as some newer models at way less then older ones. Of course, like houses it's not what people are asking, it's what they selling for. Unfortunately, only dealers can view actual selling prices. Since you have own boats before my suggestion is to put together a list of features you like and things that you do not and start searching for boats that have the features that will make you most happy and then look at those boats. Also, dont be afraid to hrow a low offer at a boat. The worst they can say is no and you may be pleasantly surprised.

-------------------------
2006 52 Searay Sedan Bridge

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  08:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might get more attention if you re-post this question in the "Ask the Capatain " forum. Not sure how much traffic in this Sea Ray forum.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Hap-E-Cruzer

RO# 19763

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  09:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto on "Ask The Captain"

Homeport: Ft.Myers, Fl and Bowling Green, Ky Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Leaky window or windows - How to reseal it? EC39 Topic Next Topic: 1979 260 Sundancer - Seating Ideas  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com