BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 CT Shoreline Boaters
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Paynes dock - new docks Topic Next Topic: Seaboard Marina-Ct  River  

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  21:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious to hear how many other CT shoreline boaters there are here and from the port or marina they call home.

I stay at Riverside Basin Marina in Clinton and live in Guilford.

--Rick
1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Homeport: Guilford, CT

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  07:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep our boat in Norwich in the summer and Portland, CT in the winter. We cruise eastern Long Island Sound and east into Rhode Island.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  13:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Branford,Ct

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

JoeBalt

RO# 12416

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Essex on the CT River

2011 Regal 42SC
Ruff'N It 4

Previous
2008 FW V358
2006 FW V318
2004 FW V288

Homeport: Essex, CT Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  16:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Ct river..Haddam. Moved here about 5 years ago, kept the boat at Island Cove in Old saybrook before that,

Homeport: Haddam Ct Go to Top of Page

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  17:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CT River in Chester. Much time spent in Hamburg Cove. Favorite spots are Block and Montauk.

2002 Chaparral Signature 260
1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Homeport: CT River Go to Top of Page

j_desjar

RO# 17996

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  18:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ct River in Essex....just a few slips away from JoeBalt...

2004 Sea Ray 320 Sundancer

Homeport: Essex, CT Go to Top of Page

Ductboy

RO# 12348

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  20:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We keep the boat up the Pawcatuck River, in Westerly, RI

Be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...Buddy Cianci

Homeport: Westerly, RI Go to Top of Page

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  08:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Island Cove Marina on the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook.

Mike

True North
2007 Legacy 32 Downeast Express
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Homeport: Old Saybrook, CT Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  13:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, how long have you been there? Which dock? We were on C dock, I think the last summer there was 09.

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  13:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished our second season, season 3 starting this year. We are also on C dock. First year we were on the end of the T dock, Independence stayed in Florida. Last year we were in the second to last slip on the left side.

We like it there, travel from Wallingford. When we were looking for a boat we figured we would end up in Branford, as we looked around, I like having the option of going up river or being in the sound in 15 minutes. Being east is a big plus.

Marina is very well kept and staff and dockmates are wonderful.

My wife says a pool would make it perfect.

Mike

True North
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  14:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small world, I was on the outside of John & Barbara on Sea P A.,I also grew up in Wallingford. It`s a great marina, great location, with a lot of good people,never would of left but we bought property on the river and keep the boat home. Nice arrangement but we do miss the friends, we stopped in one nite last summer for a visit, heard about Rick C. passing, too bad, a great guy going way too soon. "Red haired John" and i always enjoyed bustin` em off on each other... ask him about the guy who used to always get his boat wet. (Not me)
Alan

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jan 16 2013 :  12:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a small world. I will ask John about the "guy". Right now on the dock if you yell John, Mike or Gary you have 2/3 of the dock covered.

True North
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jan 16 2013 :  12:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a small world. I will ask John about the "guy". Right now on the dock if you yell John, Mike or Gary you have 2/3 of the dock covered.

True North
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  08:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot you guys from CT river area... I need to get down there more this year. I hope to take at one ride up the CT river to Portland and have already declared my intentions with my wife that we are going to Block this year (she just rolled her eyes).

Thought about slipping this year at Haddam, but the people over at RBM have been good to me so I feel I owe it to them for at least this next year. Then maybe the year after, after, give Haddam a try.

--Rick

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Homeport: Guilford, CT Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  10:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The river offers a lot of boating, advantage is you can pretty much always go boating, not much of an issue with "too rough, too foggy, too windy", lots of places to stop, swim, eat, etc. the disadvantage to being this far up (Haddam) is when to want to go out, add about 40 miles to get to the sound and back. there are a lot of marinas south that offer the best of both worlds.

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  10:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We looked at Chester and Essex, and decided that Old Saybrook gave us the best of both, head up the river or 10 minutes into LI Sound. Can't go wrong either way, if the sound is a little snotty, up the river we go, dock and lunch at the Blue Oar, or into Hamburg Cove.
Mike

True North
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  13:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as far as going out of the mouth, you can`t beat the location, 8 miles to plum gut...Greenport,Sag, Coecles, Three Mile, Montauk, Napatree, Mystic...all in the 20-25 mile easy day trip range. Block is around 40.

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  00:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mx8

as far as going out of the mouth, you can`t beat the location, 8 miles to plum gut...Greenport,Sag, Coecles, Three Mile, Montauk, Napatree, Mystic...all in the 20-25 mile easy day trip range. Block is around 40.

Couldn't have said it better, along with Mike's comments. The advantages are many. Also the advantage of having your boat in fresh water is huge.

1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  08:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPIKE

quote:
Originally posted by mx8

Couldn't have said it better, along with Mike's comments. The advantages are many. Also the advantage of having your boat in fresh water is huge.

Oh yea...almost forgot about the fresh water...0 growth on the bottom and almost never (o.k., 5 years) need to change zincs.The only bottom painting I`ve done in seven years is straiten the water line and touch up. Aftercoolers came right apart and were really clean after not being serviced in 6 seasons.

RiskyBusiness

RO# 11226

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  13:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saybrook Point Inn and Spa Marina

Easy ride to LI or go up-river.....or just stay put and hit Fresh Salt! ;)

Lady J
Silverton 43 Sport Bridge

Homeport: Saybrook Point, CT Go to Top of Page

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  15:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've probably all passed each other over the years, and not knew it.

1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  16:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should organize a summer meeting at the Blue Oar....I could row down in the dink....

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  10:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mx8

We should organize a summer meeting at the Blue Oar....I could row down in the dink....

I'd go for that. A nice excuse to come up river.

--Rick

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

KenK

RO# 7602

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  08:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be at Hay's Haven and for a short time Andrews. I now have a 26 ft sport crusier that I can trailer. I find I have more options to places to go this way . The CT river is a great place to boat.

Homeport: Haddam CT Go to Top of Page

44checker

RO# 33155

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  09:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all-
CT River in Chester. Spend most of our time between Dart Island, Hamburg Cove, and our favorite spot: on the hook across from Essex Island Marina. We've been to Greenport NY and Mystic Seaport.
Hope to make Block Island this year!

2008 Larson 260 cabrio

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  15:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Block is my goal this year. 4 bikes 2 kids and the wife and I hope to make the trip when the weather is nice but its not too crowded.
--Rick

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick D

Block is my goal this year. 4 bikes 2 kids and the wife and I hope to make the trip when the weather is nice but its not too crowded.
--Rick

As long as you`re not there 4th of July or Labor day I don`t think you will find crowds a problem..the economy has taken care of that lately. Do you plan to get a slip or anchor/moor? I`ve been going for 20+ years and haven`t gotten a slip yet but I know lots that do and enjoy it. I see a lot of bikes dinked over to the dinghy beach and locked up to the pier at nite so you don`t have to schlep them back and forth every time.

Skipperguy

RO# 11479

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  03:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
living aboard in Deep River summers, FL in winters. i'm living someone else's life - if you see him, don't tell him.

gs

Guy

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

Dave K S

RO# 12840

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  08:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We keep our boat in, Mystic Shipyard East, on the Mystic River. We like it because if the weather is bad there are plenty of things to do in Mystic. We have taken our boat as far as the Outer Banks in NC. We love Martha's Vineyard, Block and places along LI and RI. Napatree is a great close by getaway.

1989 Luhrs 342 315 HP
6LYA-UTE Yanmar diesels

Homeport: Mystic,Ct Go to Top of Page

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  08:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in CT, but have kept our Regal in Westerly, RI. We are looking at purchasing a bigger boat to be a year round "liveaboard". A few winters back we were at Dauntless - Brewers in Essex and they were incredible, outstanding customer care.
My wife and I both work in New Britain so we are thinking some where from Old Saybrook to Deep River ? Any suggestions at Marinas that allow liveaboards either seasonal or year round ?? Boat is 48'
Marina amenities or services have no value, we are empty nesters and just need a place to "dock", lol

Tom
41' President

Edited by - TJM on Mar 19 2013 08:50:45

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  09:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When do you guys plan on going to Block? We hope to be at Champlins the week of July 8. We find that during the week, it is not crowded at all.

We used to always stop at Essex Island Marina when the kids were small, but the last couple of times we were there, we were disappointed. The village really has very little to offer, the food at the Gris sucked, and the marina is pretty dead. (last time we were the only boat in the back).

Spent a few nights on a mooring in Hamburg Cove, and enjoyed it - just a long dink ride to walk the dog...

Last year we stopped at Saybrook Point for two nights on our way home and enjoyed it very much. Lunch at Fresh Salt was outstanding, but when we went for dinner with 8 of us the service was horrendous. We sat for 1 1/2 hours without getting our meals, our waitress disappeard and when we complained to the manager, she told us that she had to feed the staff before us. We got up and left.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

[black]When do you guys plan on going to Block? We hope to be at Champlins the week of July 8. We find that during the week, it is not crowded at all.

Hi Hogan.
We have no firm dates... just a desire to finally get out there this year. I want to go when it is not crazy busy... and not sure if we will stay on hook (not likely), on a pendant or in a marina.

--Rick

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

hnt

RO# 33215

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We keep our Pursuit 2460 Denali at the Niantic Boat Valet just inside the Niantic River.

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

Newbie509

RO# 30359

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  09:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brews Pilots Point North Yard Westbrood CT, expensive but has all the amenitites and location is great.

34' 1987 Sea Ray EC

What were once vices are now habits

Homeport: Westbrook, CT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Paynes dock - new docks Topic Next Topic: Seaboard Marina-Ct  River  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.62 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com