BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Seaboard Marina-Ct River
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: CT Shoreline Boaters Topic Next Topic: Sad post - need advice please!  

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  07:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for some info on Seaboard Marina-Ct River. It's been a long time since we have taken a nice lazy ride up the Ct river. We are planning a long weekend up the river and thought Seaboard looks nice for a night or two. Also is there a place in Hartford to spend the day or lunch?. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Gary

Homeport: Branford, CT

chriscraft67

RO# 12563

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  17:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary,

I live in the area so I'll give you an honest review.

Seaboard is an old marina without many upgrades. There is a lot of very shallow water in the area. It has a reputation for some heavy duty partying, especially on weekends. You will not be able to get to Glastonbury center or to Hartford without a car. In fact, from Seaboard, you can't get anywhere without a car.

Hartford has lots of restaurants, museums, etc. and can be a fun place to visit but it is woefully lacking in transient dockage. There are some places to tie up in East Hartford (across the river from Hartford) but getting a ride (or a cab) will be necessary.

On your way up the river (and it is a beautiful river to cruise), consider Middletown. It's 33 miles from Old Saybrook and there is a town dock (wharf) that you can use, although weekends are busy. It's a short walk to the downtown, which has numerous restaurants and a very active Main Street.

If Middletown is crowded, consider one of the three marinas across the Connecticut river in Portland. Virtually no one this far up river answers a VHF radio call but you can simply pull up in front of their docks and ask for a place to tie up. You won't be turned away.

At any of the marinas in Portland, you can just ask a dock mate for a ride to Middletown or if you have a dink, take it across the river. If you have kids, Portland has a water park that they will never forget.

As I'm sure you know, the Connecticut River is pretty easy to navigate. If you decide to visit the upper river, follow your charts (or GPS chartplotter) carefully when you approach Middletown. You will make a big left turn at Bodkin Rock and after that, stay absolutely in the channel, which is to your port side. The river is wide here and some have a tendency to run down the middle. Not a good idea as there are obstructions there.

I hope you visit next summer and have a successful cruise.

Bill

Homeport: Norwich, CT Go to Top of Page

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  11:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,

It looked a little shaky. I'll take a look at Portland and go from there. Thanks for the tips also.

Gary

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  06:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaky is an understatement. "Shady" is more like it. I have had a few legal run-ins with Seaboard and I have been very disappointed with the lack of "protection" from the legal and court system.

I would not plan on staying anywhere North of Middletown. A day trip up the winding river is nice if you want to go for a casual ride.

Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

Skipperguy

RO# 11479

Posted - Jun 08 2013 :  09:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stay at portland riverside marina for 2 nites with a day trip up to hartford - nice ride.
call karen at PRM 860-342-1911

find a way to middletown - not far - eat at "first and last" tavern - real nice

Guy

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

GAJ

RO# 516

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  10:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. We still plan on going up the river and we'll call Portland. Again thanks for he info.

Gary

Homeport: Branford, CT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: CT Shoreline Boaters Topic Next Topic: Sad post - need advice please!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com