BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Hey Mainers! Questions
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Haul Date Topic Next Topic: Marthas Vineyard???...Now Nantucket!!!!  

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Mar 27 2013 :  15:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there are a couple of you way up there. I am planning on heading north from RI this summer with some friends. Will be 2-3 boats. Heading to Boston for the 4th then up to Maine.

Not going way down east. Probably not much farther than Casco Bay area. And will include a couple of nights in Portland because I like the city and have always wanted to go by boat. I am looking for marina suggestions, can't miss harbors, etc.. Will have kids with us but are game for mooring or whatever. Starting to poke around on active captain as well.
1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  19:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great trip, I made this run years ago. Went as far north as Kennebunkport on a day trip. We stayed in York Harbor because I have family there. York Beach is a nice stop if you've never been. There's not much in the immediate area but there are few places to walk to including a small beach nearby and York Harbor Inn for dinner...yum.

I learned to boat and fish in these waters -- beautiful water but not so many marinas. Wentworth by the sea is likely a good stop in Portsmouth. You'll have to wait for the Maine native's to give you pointers for the Casco Bay area cause I've never been -- but it's on my bucket list.

I locked in plans for the 4th as well -- big trip to Newport...lol, about a 15 minute run. You've got the better of the plans.

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  06:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Pro!
Welcome to my world!
Just running out the door for a last weekend of skiing but I'll give you a "to do" list in a few days however for Portland, book now at DiMillos (207.773.7632). It's right in the downtown "Old Port" area. Awesome restaurants, shops and pubs. Bang around Casco Bay (not a reference to the NY rocks in Lake Champlain) and do an overnighter at the Diamond Cove Marina on Big Diamond. Awesome restaurant right there and here's a view from the slips at sunrise...

If you're there on a Sunday, swing by Peaks Island and drop the hook off Jones Landing to enjoy reggae music drifting down from their deck...

More later-
Cheers -
Steve

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  12:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Riverbed

Hey Pro!
.... Bang around Casco Bay (not a reference to the NY rocks in Lake Champlain) and do an overnighter at the Diamond Cove Marina on Big Diamond.

Now, River, that just hurt! :-)

Those sound like great suggestions. Dimillos was definitely my thought for Portland. I'll check out the other suggestions.

Tim, Newport is a ball for the 4th. I'm sure you'll have a great time. With kid activities my window for long trips is closing quickly. I may be spending more time close to home in coming years.

I considered Wentworth as well. Will look closer.

Thanks for the suggestions, can't wait.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  20:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didja ever make the trip?

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  07:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. Sadly we didn't. I was cruising with 3 other boats and we decided it was to far for the time we had to spend. We got as far north as Gloucester. Had a great time. Stops included Boston for the 4th as well as situate, Plymouth, Salem. If I do it Maine i want to spend some quality time up there. Maybe get as far as Camden and rockport areas.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  18:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pro - be sure to give us a shout if you make it to the neighborhood. We've moved from the house on the coast but the boat's still in Portland I'm poised for a trip to Barrington/Bristol and maybe a restaurant visit at your harbor in the next coupla' weeks so alert the authorities!

Previous Topic: Haul Date Topic Next Topic: Marthas Vineyard???...Now Nantucket!!!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com