BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Help with a 2004 Bayliner 288 Classic Cruiser
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hi Fellow Bayliner owners Topic Next Topic: Maxum 2001 2900 SCR  

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 14 2013 :  15:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New to the forum here and hoping for help. After passing on a Carver 320 after survey results my wife, 3 year old and I are looking at buying our first boat and we came across a 2004 288 classic that seems to be in very good shape inside and out from my initial look at it. Before we go too far with this boat and get a survey (which I will) I'm hoping to get some insights about the good or bad with this particular model. The boat has had 1 owner and supposedly has very low engine hours. It's been kept in Lake Michigan so no salt water and mostly used as a weekend condo for the owner. We would be mostly day cruising around Lake Michigan, doing some fishing or just hanging out on the boat so nothing extreme. Current owner is asking $39,900 for it. Thanks in advance for any info/tips. We're hoping this boat turns out to b a good deal cause we've liked what we've seen so far.

Homeport:

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 14 2013 :  15:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google Bayliner owners. As great as Boatered is, there is another forum pretty much dedicated to Bayliners that is much more active for that brand.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 14 2013 :  16:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I found that owners group and posted there. Wasn't sure if this one was just as or more active. Thanks again.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - May 14 2013 :  19:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at Bayliners the 288 is a nice vessel. Good bang for the buck. This board is great for any questions you have about all things related to boating and upgrades.
Welcome,
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 14 2013 :  21:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As often happens, you will be looking for a larger boat in 2-3 years. You'l get a lot of good info here. We all know how antsy you get looking for a boat. It doesn't cost anything to look around. There's real good deal out there waiting for you...and you learn a lot about boats just looking around.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - May 14 2013 :  21:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtybt15

As often happens, you will be looking for a larger boat in 2-3 years. You'l get a lot of good info here. We all know how antsy you get looking for a boat. It doesn't cost anything to look around. There's real good deal out there waiting for you...and you learn a lot about boats just looking around.

Charlie he would be learning lots about larger boats, smaller boats and boats in the same size class here on BE. My point is this board is a wealth of information that applies to almost everything boating. To suggest he try the Bayliners Owners site, (I am a member there as well) he will miss out on almost everything that applies to everything boating this board has to offer. The suggestion to try the BOC is fine I just don't want him thinking he isn't welcome here on BE.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on May 14 2013 21:37:11

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 15 2013 :  12:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info & tips about finding good info on this forum. I already have since I was initially looking at a Carver and posted on that section as well and some people helped me out with the survey results. I walked away from that boat and now making an offer on the Bayliner 288 CB to see if the seller will match my offer and contingent on survey. Been reading & learning a lot by just researching these boards.

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 15 2013 :  16:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bayliners are notorious on being under powered, IMHO, standard motors are not enough power, also, a single IO on this boat IMHO, really is not desirable. IMHO, Bayliners are OK entry boats, their price point to get you on the water is great. What I found owning one I bought new was they were worth the money, the hull and motor were the same on more expensive boats. Point here is this, you get what you pay for, I am not dissing Bayliner, but you may want to look at other brands since this time period is truly a buyers market.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 15 2013 :  21:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip/info. This would be our first boat for us. After looking at some older boats and having one surveyed we felt that staring out w/ a newer boat that was in very good condition (inside & out) was probably a better boat for us so we could enjoy it right away vs. worrying about upgrades, repairs, etc... I have looked at others in our price range and we keep coming back to this one because of the design (sedan/cruiser/bright indoor), size (manageable for a first boat and single engine means lower maintenance expense and easier for me to learn to maintain), finally being newer and in good shape we figured when time comes to sell we may have an easier time selling a newer one

BUT can you expand on why the concerns over underpowered engine (we intend to use this for leisurely cruises around the coast of Lake Michigan so won't be needing a lot of speed)

Also I've read the single IO is harder to maneuver than dual props but I also read that this comes down to proper technique and planning and knowing how to maneuver your boat to dock w/ a single prop. Is this really that bad on this particular boat?

Lastly yes I realize Bayliner is not a Bertram but it seems from the research I've done that many people would, like you, say that's it's a good value for your dollar.

Thanks again for the comments.

quote:
Originally posted by walterv

Bayliners are notorious on being under powered, IMHO, standard motors are not enough power, also, a single IO on this boat IMHO, really is not desirable. IMHO, Bayliners are OK entry boats, their price point to get you on the water is great. What I found owning one I bought new was they were worth the money, the hull and motor were the same on more expensive boats. Point here is this, you get what you pay for, I am not dissing Bayliner, but you may want to look at other brands since this time period is truly a buyers market.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 16 2013 :  04:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You never did tell us what engine is in it. Anything less than a big block 7.4 (454) is way underpowered and you will have to run the engine hard to get up and stay on plane. Before you spend money on a survey, you might want to seatrial it first to make sure it has enough power.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 16 2013 :  07:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious...what was the deal breaker with the Carver?

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 16 2013 :  08:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine is the merc 350 mag mpi (300HP) so not the big block but I've heard from other owners w/ the same boat/engine that they have no issues w/ getting the boat to get up & go on planes. And yes before I get the survey our plan would be to do a sea trial.

The carver came up with a LONG list of issues. Some were safety concerns such as an aftermarket generator improperly installed w/o safety/cutoff switch. Also the engine compartment so cramped because of the generator that it was impossible for the surveyor to get to things so he could not check them out. He said maintenance on that engine would be costly because of having to work around the generator or take it out depending on the issues. Also there were some cracks under the hull by one of the shafts that may have been more than gelcoat and the stringer above it had some flex to it. There was some moisture readings in the cockpit deck along with cracks on the cockpit deck indicating water had gotten to the core and the deck was spongy in certain spots. Boat had been in a minor accident and there were quite a few more things. We were just not willing to take on that project!

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 16 2013 :  09:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only suggestion....when you go to sea trial, make sure the boat is loaded (people, fuel, water, gear) as you plan to use it. Don't do it with just 2 people and a 1/4 full tank.
Try to have a GPS with you to confirm speed and find out speed and RPM's at WOT and speed and RPM's at a comfortable FULL plane - no nose up in the air.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - May 16 2013 :  09:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, make sure the boat is loaded as you would be normally... Enough fuel, water, pax

While twins would be nice, on a 28 footer accessibility for maintenance would be a nightmare. Single is a valid option.

When looking at nearly 10 year old boats, the maintenance and care is as important as the brand, nothing wrong with a well maintained fresh water bayliner... .

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 16 2013 :  11:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good suggestions guys. Thanks. I submitted an offer to make sure we can come to a price first before I move further but if I do I really like the suggestion of taking it out w/ full tanks/geear and with like 4-5 "full sized" adults! Also great tip on taking a GPS along to verify speeds and to check the speed & engine rpm at WOT & full plane speeds.

PascalG - Yes after the research/reading I'm doing I know that twins would certainly be better for docking/manuvering on a boat this size but being a first time owner I'm also thinking about engine maintenace & costs and a single seems to be a much more maneagable engine setup for me to learn to maintain. This is a fresh water single owner boat and according to seller the longest trip on it was 2 hours long and the engines have very low hours. I'm planning on having a mechanic take an engine reading to verify the hours on it & avg rpms and any other issues but not until things move forward on price, sea trial & survey.

Offer was forwarded to the seller this AM so now all we can do is wait!

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 16 2013 :  12:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the boat is as nice as you say it is, sounds like it will be a good boat to have. Just be sure you are comfortable with the engine performance. Based on everything you have said about the boat, that is my biggest concern.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - May 16 2013 :  12:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Low engine hours on a boat is often not as good as it sounds. One of the worst things you can do to a boat is let it sit and not get used. You would hope to see about 50 hrs of engine use per year in the northern areas.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 16 2013 :  14:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well sellers came back and it looks like we'll be reaching a deal here, of course dependent on a survey, sea trial and mechanic checking engine out. We'll see what comes of of this but I'm using the same surveyor I did for the last boat we looked at (Carver) and he too mentioned low hours on an engine is not always a good thing. That's why I'm getting a mechanic to run test/diags to provide some insight. I'm bringing the surveyor (and now a few other people) with us on the sea trial and now I'll know what to look for to determine if this engine will be challenged too much w/ a fully loaded boat.

Keeping our fingers crossed that we get the green light from all the inspections because we're pretty excited about getting it. I guess if it's meant to be we'll own it if not then so be it. There will be others.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 16 2013 :  14:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a first time boat buyer, you seem to have everything well under control. Good luck!

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - May 16 2013 :  17:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you have the surveyor get fluid samples for analysis. Engine oil. Trans oil. Outdrive.....

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 18 2013 :  08:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No deal yet. Sellers came down to $35K from $40K and we were hoping for $31.5K so heading down today to take my wife to check out the boat & have a closer inspection to see if we can meet the sellers $.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - May 18 2013 :  08:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Netsurfr

No deal yet. Sellers came down to $35K from $40K and we were hoping for $31.5K so heading down today to take my wife to check out the boat & have a closer inspection to see if we can meet the sellers $.

Just a reminder it is a buyers market. I'm not saying the boat isn't worth 35k. I guess it depends on the overall condition and if your wife likes it.
Best of luck.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 20 2013 :  18:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well got an accepted offer from the sellers! Boat survey, sea trial & mechanical inspection is scheduled for Thursday. Keeping our fingers crossed.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 20 2013 :  19:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everything goes well. Good luck!

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 23 2013 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well just got home from the out of the water survey but we were not able to do the sea trial due to weather. The short story w/ the survey is that he found the boat to be in GREAT shape and much better than what he was expecting. He said that he was expecting the build/quality on a Bayliner to be nowhere near as good so was actually impressed. No hull issues whatsoever, no moisture, stringers all good, all main electrical components were good. The only electrical issues encountered were that the nav lights did not operate and that the engine trim switch in the flybridge was not working but the lower one did. He also thought the engine compartment bilge pump was likely going to need replacement soon based on the sound of it. No signs of corrosion & hoses, belts, lines looked good. Outdrive looked really good and moved very smoothly side to side & up & down. Bellows looked very good (from outside). Trim tabs operated smoothly & quietly so overall a very good find he said of course now we have to take the boat out & run it to see how the engine checks out but we also got a chance to talk w/ one of the mechanics who serviced the boat and he said that he's very familiar w/ it and the owners (older couple) put it in the water every year but didn't take it out much but it was started & run every season just not very much. He did the outdrive work 2 years ago and the reason bellows were not replaced was because they were in great shape. Apparently boat was washed weekly during the boating season by some company that washes the boats & leaves a sheet indicating what was done every week. Still the boat could use a nice wash/wax/buff to make it look like new again (according to surveyor).

The one downside so far is that when the mechanic plugged in to the ECM he was not able to pull any engine historical data and he & surveyor are guessing is either that ECM in the boat being a 2004 model may have been on the early stages of the technology now available so no historical data is captured OR that since the mechanic does not have the actual Merc diagnostics tool that perhaps his PC & interface & software is not able to get at that data. So no history data but at least he can use it for diagnostics he said and he showed no engine system code faults except for a few that were related to the engine not having certain probes which he explained are all optional sensors that are added for monitoring so all good. He recommended against doing a compression test or even running it in muffs. He said we won't really get to test the engine out until we get it under load at WOT so in his opinion a waste of $ to do compression test without the sea trial. He said if once taken out & put through the ringer in the open water and it fails to perform as expected then I may want to look at compression testing, etc... So feeling pretty good about it. Sea trial w/ mechanic is scheduled for Tuesday now.

Also looks like the PO left 2 electric downriggersl, a brand new stainless steel boat BBQ, a handheld VHF radio, 3 lowrance units (fishfinder/gps/chartplotter), & 9 PFD's (6 never used).

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - May 23 2013 :  15:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you. Hope it goes well.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 28 2013 :  15:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from my sea trial. We had thunderstorms roll in overnight & into the morning so I was once again expecting to have to cancel it BUT the storm looked like it would offer an opening and it worked out just fine. We were only able to stay out there for about 30 minutes because the fog was rolling back but long enough for a good sea trial. We loaded the boat up w/ full gas & water tanks and we had 5 "big" guys onboard (mechanic, surveyor & his assistant, broker & myself). Boat had not been started since last season but she started right up on the first try & no bad smells, sounds, smoke, etc... so good start. Once out in the open water we got up on planes in a decent amount of time and reached about 4500 rpm at WOT and max speed of 34MPH (gps). No engine issues, no hull/stringer flexing whatsoever under hi torque manuvers so overall a thumbs up from surveyor. Only issues were that the lower help tachometer stopped working during the sea trial, the engine trim in the bridge only works to lower the outdrive but not lift but lower button works fine so most likely a bad switch, and the throttle in the bridge stuck a bit at idle (throttle cable likely issue). So VERY happy about this. With a green thumb in both the out of water survey & sea trial & a valuation that came in higher than what the seller accepted PLUS the freebies he left in there for us (electric downriggers, brand new magnum bbq marine grill, 12 PFDs (8 of them brand new & never used) we're happy. Told the broker we're ready to close as long as the marina checks out that tachometer, engine trim switch & sticky throttle and if the fix is in the $500 then we'll deal with it but if it's something bigger then we'll have to go back to the seller.

Edited by - Netsurfr on May 28 2013 16:49:37

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 28 2013 :  16:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All sounds great, looks like you did your homework and listened to the advise given here and on the BOC, great job!! Best of luck with the boat!!

Once you own her you should do all the required maintenance items so you have a "baseline" to start with.
Change engine oil
Check and possible replace outdrive boot
zincs
drive fluid
and other things other will chime in here about.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - May 29 2013 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks walterv.

Today I got an update from the broker that the mechanic was able to fix the sticky throttle/high idle issue. Turned out to be a cable adjustment so great news. Taking her back out for another sea trial to check on the throttle fix on Friday & if all is good I'll be closing on her Friday!

Walterv - yes my plan is to do all the required maintenance & when I pull her up out of the water after the season I'll do the other items that can't be done in the water like outdrive service, bellows, etc... I'm also having a boat detailing guy wax & buff the topside since it has some oxidizing going on so after that's done she'll look new. Can't wait.

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  13:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are now officially proud owners of a 2004 288 CB. Got the keys & title yesterday. Boat is getting waxed & buffed today, engine compartment/bilge getting cleaned & removing the old name decals so she'll be ready to go to her new home here in Milwaukee.

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  14:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news, welcome to the wonderful world of boating. It's the 1st hobby or lifestyle my wife and I enjoy together. Our children are all grown but I wish we could have got into boating when they were younger.
I hope your entire family enjoys boating as much as we do.
Bill & Jan

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Netsurfr

RO# 33252

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BillyIII. My wife & I have been looking for a hobby that we BOTH like for a long time and this is the first time we're both excited about the same one. We have a 3 year old and he's pretty excited too!

Previous Topic: Hi Fellow Bayliner owners Topic Next Topic: Maxum 2001 2900 SCR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.53 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com