BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
Save Password

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: subsonic ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 South Florida Boating Club
 Perpairing For A Cruise to the Bahamas South.....
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Key West Vacation Topic Next Topic: Great streeming Cam, Hillsboro Inlet  

RO# 82

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  20:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for more information on good Out Island
anchorages that are tried and true from our Seasoned Cruisers...We are getting under way Oct.
This year. Thank You.. WA2HNW
Calm Seas and Fair Winds
M/V Freedoms Choice

Homeport: Boynton Beach,Florida

RO# 36

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  06:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many in the Bahamas come to mind but are all subject to weather conditions. In other words, what is the forecast for wind direction and force? Any of these are great spots, but if the wind catches you off guard you may be in for a very restless night.

On the Little Bahama Bank

North East side of Mangrove Cay
Up in Great Sale, or on the North side
Crab Cay
Allans Pensacola Cay

on the Sea of Abaco

Manjack Cay
White Sound and Black Sound at Green Turtle
Treasure Cay
Marsh Harbour
and every Cay down to but not including Little Harbour, Hope Town, White Sound. These are too populated for anchoring.

Edited by - boatbum on Jun 07 2013 06:22:59

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  20:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you headed to? How far South? It would help if you narrowed it down.

Edited by - Capt. Bill1 on Jun 07 2013 20:39:02

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

RO# 33261

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  09:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Abacos, White Sound is preferable to Black Sound. Bakers Bay on the north end of Guana is a great spot; and if the wind switches west or NW, go across to Treasure Cay (north of Whale Cay entrance. You can anchor almost to the beach, and a very beautiful beach it is. When the wind goes back SE, head back to Bakers. Great snorkeling on the ocean side.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

RO# 33232

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are heading to Staniel Cay (by airplane) next week. If you are going as far south as the Exumas, Staniel is a great place. Good anchorage and slips available at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.

David Maib
Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Homeport: New Smyrna Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  17:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, Lucky you... Staniel is my favorite place anywhere! We were there back in march and can't wait to go back, probably next month.

Charles, which way your e planning on going? Abacos or further south?

Personally, my preferred itinerary from browsed would be

- great harbor cay in the Berrys (no need to go down to Bimini), nice beaches on the east side, rent a golf cart for a day.
- Hoffman/white cay, the blue hole is nice, remote peaceful anchorage
- hogs cay/berry island club: great sandbars on the north side, starfishes everywhere, good exploring around whale and bird, the old lighthouse, etc..

Jump over to Nassau to re provision. Explore the north side of rose island. Great snorkeling at the west tip of sandy cay

Cross over to the exumas, personally I don't care for highborne. The marina is fine but there isn't much to do, I prefer going straight to

- Normans cay. Worth two days, great sandbars, beaches, etc...
- shroud cay. The northern creek leads to camp driftwood, one of the most scenic spot in the Bahamas
- warderick wells is also worth 2 or 3 days to explore
- compass cay. Never ma it there yet but everybody seems to like it,
- old navy decca station on pipe cay, tie up to the dock, explore the sandbars on the back side by dinghy, spectacular spot
- Staniel cay area, worth a week, not all at the dock, the big majors anchorage is very nice.
- Samson cay has a nice marina, but not as special as Staniel. Great sandbar maze on the back side. Cross the narrow cay behind the sandbar area to a nice beach and fantastic snorkeling
- bitter Guana, great anchorage, nice cliffs, iguanas... Very few boats go there which makes it even better!
- little farmer, I d skip it... It s often mentioned in cruising guides, nothing special.
- rudder cat, nice beaches, caves.. Others cays to explore b dinghy, especially Darby where your boat can make it in the harbor,
- lee stocking. One of my favorite spot. Two spots to anchor, by the abandoned Carib marine research center (moorings) and another night at Williams bay 2 miles south. 3 lovely beaches, hike to Perry's peak, great view.
- continue inside to rat cay and barraterre Scenic anchorage. Some surge on the west side and north of pigeon, we usually anchor in the natural channel on the south side of rat. With. 4' draft you can easily cross over close to barraterre. Limited groceries, bar... A real out island settlement.
- Gtown. Good spot to provision, a few nice spots although a bit "crowded" compared to the anchorages south of Staniel which many cruisers bypass

I m sure I missed a few spots but this should get you started On the way back, stops again at your favorites... Possible do the detour via Bimini and ride the stream north home

1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

RO# 82

Posted - Jul 02 2013 :  21:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks All for your help and advice..My first officer Evie passed away, so everything was put on hold. Trip will go on, but will be delayed till the Fall season.

Calm Seas and Fair Winds
M/V Freedoms Choice

Homeport: Boynton Beach,Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Key West Vacation Topic Next Topic: Great streeming Cam, Hillsboro Inlet  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice