BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: DSerge ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Chatterbox Falls
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HELLO, Anybody on the IP? Topic Next Topic: No major boating for 2015  

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  04:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at a trip to Chatterbox Falls up in Princess Louisa Inlet and I'm wondering what the closest marina is that has fuel. I know of Secret Cove Marina at the head of Jervis Inlet but are there any others closer?

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Edited by - BillV on Jun 25 2013 04:24:04

Homeport: Lynden, WA

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  08:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you hit Agamemnon that's about it.

There might be fuel right around skookumchuck, try egmont. I think the backeddy marina had fuel. Call them and find out.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  08:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" ... are there any others closer? "

If you mean " ... are there any others closer? ... to Princess Louisa ", Bill, the answer is "Yes".

In Pender Harbour, John Henry's Fuel Dock is on the north side of Pender at the East end of Hospital Bay, and they have a grocery store at the head of the dock. If you head up Agamemnon Channel, when you pass the ferry slip, on the South side, you can head into Sechelt Inlet a short distance and fuel up (with boat fuel) at the Backeddy Pub dock at Egmont on the West side. A little further in, but still short of the rapids, Bathgate's Store has a fuel dock and groceries.

Have a great time and take pics. It will be more crowded at the dock in PLI on the weekend. The mooring buoys on the port side as you head to the dock, are an alternative. Anchoring in sight of the falls, or north of the mooring buoys is your last chance for an overnight.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  10:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes OS, I did mean "closer to PLI". My fuel range limits me to about 70 miles one way and having to go further then 140 miles puts me into the "reserve" amount that I do not want to use except for emergencies. Looks to be about 40-45 miles from Egmont's marinas, a very favorable distance for me. Looking at going later this summer and appreciate the "local information" from the a knowledgeable source. Thanks OS.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  15:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill:

If it is convenient for you to do so, maybe you could let me know, via this thread, when you are planning to take this trip to PLI.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  10:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trip is planned for late August or possibly 1st week of September. My BIL and his wife want to go with the Admiral and I on our boat. We'll split the fuel costs as we have only 4-5 days to do the trip in. I would prefer to allow more time but the BIL isn't retired yet. These high fuel costs sure put a dampener in cruising with twin gas V8's eh OS?

troublemaker

RO# 32512

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  17:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BillV there is fuel at Egmont and you should have enough to get you to the falls and back. When you get to Malibu rapids it flows through a narrow gorge that forms the entrance to PLI and should be negotiated at or near slack water. Tidal streams
in Malibu can attain 9kn on the flood and ebb on large tides. Once you get in the inlet Chatterbox
Falls is 4 miles NE it is very nice up at the end.

TM

Homeport: British Columbia Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  09:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information TM. We'll be heading up that way at the end of August and spending the night there. We're planning on stopping for fuel in Egmont and topping off my tanks. Looking forward to the venture.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill:

Please keep in touch re the PLI trip in late August. I could be back home by then, and it would be a pleasure to meet you, face to face, after yakkin' on the forum for all these years.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  23:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Salt

Bill: Please keep in touch re the PLI trip in late August. I could be back home by then, and it would be a pleasure to meet you, face to face, after yakkin' on the forum for all these years.
OS

Will do OS, but now it's looking like we'll go in September. Too many family members visiting in August to get away. Seems they all want to go boating, crabbing, fishing, burning gas like it's free. Oh well, great to see grandkids anytime. Sure is great to finally be retired and wondering when I'll have all the extra time on my hands I thought retirement brought.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  16:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill:

September is good. It may only be for an overnight or just a day trip but we'll see how it works out. Give a shout here before you leave home.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  12:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never was able to complete this trip in 2013 due to an engine failure (broken rocker arm) and 2014 was laid up with knee replacement surgery. We did complete trip and took OS's advice and did the trip in September.

Weather was kind of questionable when we departed Thursday (Sept 3rd) so I made the decision to clear customs at Whiterock. Bad, bad idea. NEVER attempt to use Whiterock to clear customs, at least I will never again try. Small dock, room for two boats and one space taken by a crab boat and otherside taken by a family that decided to use dock for a short stop to take a break. After rounding Point Roberts and heading north for my first trip traveling the east side of the Straits of Georgia past Vancouver I found very shallow water all the way past Howe Sound. Silt runout from the Frazier River has really filled in the area. Most of the area was 30-40' of water even when a mile out. Made it to Pender Harbor first day and enjoyed the stop over at Garden Bay Hotel & Marina. Watched the Seahawks game from the pub and must say, lots of Canadian fans too. Place was packed with them. Next morning after reviewing the tide tables decided to make the run up to Malibu on a slow cruise enjoying some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. Stayed in Vancouver Cove for the night and BBQ'd salmon for dinner we brought along. Next morning departed to make Malibu Rapids at high tide slack water. Cruised up at 20mph and on thru rapids. Fun ride thru, learned that tide tables are in standard time and BC is on Daylight saving time, went thru an hour early. Not bad though just glad I had twin engines and horsepower.

Must say, Chatterbox Falls is a sight to see. Will be posting pics as soon as I upload them from my SIL's camera. Found space at the dock and tied up for breakfast. Weather cleared up and the sun came out becoming a very warm and beautiful day. Later that day rode down with some people we met in their boat to visit the Malibu Camp and toured their facilities. Pretty awesome place to see. Never expected to find it so large and well built as it was.

Pulled out the next morning and went to the far end of Jervis Inlet to watch the bears we had heard were there. Anchored in a very beautiful cove and enjoyed watching 8 bears, 2 yearlings wrestle, while 6 others came to the water and "fished" for what appeared to be an Artic Char type fish. No salmon sighted anyplace but lots of dead "char" fish floating in the water. Woke up with dead house batteries and decided to make the run down to Egmont at a slow cruise to charge my house battery bank. After refueling in Pender Harbor, weather forcast becoming somewhat "iffy" so we decided to make the run for home at a fast cruise and arrived 6pm Monday evening. After seeing Tuesday's weather, glad we came home Monday.

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  12:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a cool trip. Please post the pictures.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: HELLO, Anybody on the IP? Topic Next Topic: No major boating for 2015  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.53 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com