boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 18 | Guests: 169 ]  [ Total: 187 ]  [ Newest Member: neovox ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Insurance rates
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Reverse polarity issue Topic Next Topic: Marinco White vs. Yellow - longevity?  

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  21:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I just got my renewal and the premium went up 25 percent. I didn't even make a claim so I guess we all have to pay to cover the cost of Sandy. Are you seeing premium increases?

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y.

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  23:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The marketplace had been inconsistent post Sandy. Some of my carriers have been higher on renewals some have been cheaper on replacement boats, go figure. If you want some alternative quotes feel free to pm me

25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS

Edited by - CaptCrunch on Jul 17 2013 23:09:22

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  06:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat sustained about $40k worth of Sandy damage. My renewal came in before the repairs were completed. All of the Sandy damage but the bow railing has been repaired or replaced at this point. I had less than a 10% increase from the same carrier and they lowered my agreed value by $20k. They went from $165k to $145k in agreed value. I'm actually fine with the policy and the reason the bow railing isn't fixed is I am waiting on the yard to get a few free days to build the new and replace the existing. It's not a safety issue it just looks like crap.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  23:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No increase for me through Boat US.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  08:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a 30% increase from ACE, I am in Connecticut and sustained no damage, and I am in my 3rd year with them and no claims.
Mike

Yesterday's Dream
2005 Silverton 34C
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  15:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BoatUS 30% increase, I'm looking to chance after 13 years I have had enough. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and I just got this letter today I will be real busy securing new insurance when I return I will only have a couple of weeks to deal with this.

Dave

I just wish common sense was a little more common.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express
2008 Sea-Doo GTX Jet Ski sold

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  19:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a 46% increase from ACE and didn't have a claim. There was no damage to my boat. I called my broker about it. He was surprised too, but told me everyone in the area was getting a raise in rates even if there was no claim. I had him look around, and they were all about the same price so I stuck with ACE. Thought about leaving them just on principle, but figured they wouldn't give a crap anyway.

87 Sea Ray, 30' Sundancer
Merri Mack
MMSI #338122779
95 Eastern 22'
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  20:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My policy came in $600 more then a friend is paying for a boat with twice the value, this is not right!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  20:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

My policy came in $600 more then a friend is paying for a boat with twice the value, this is not right!

Did your friends new policy come in yet?
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  20:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend has a new policy his boat was destroyed in the storm! This is the boat I brought up from Delaware about a month ago. His boat is twice the agreed value and he has a higher liability and a lower percentage deductible. My new quote came in at $2048 and he is paying more like $1400 something wrong with this picture! Granted I understand they charge a higher rate for older boats but this is ridiculous. I'm now going to have to pay for a survey just to get a new policy yet another expense.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  21:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boat us has been taking the most consistent increases of anyone. they have an exclusive program with CNA, and they're looking to get out of the business.

25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

vic33004

RO# 27361

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  13:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
prior to the hurricanes of 2006 we were paying about 1 point of the agreed upon value for larger policies (over 250k) down here in FL. after 06 the rates generally doubled and the fine print changed with a lot of carriers to provide depreciated replacement cost on individual items. not all, but a lot did so.

the upshot is the insurance industry generally is/was looking to recoup some of their losses beyond what they layed off in reinsurance.

absent direct intervention from a state insurance commission its unlikely that things will be done differently in the NE. the public is far more sympathetic to an insurance commission coming down hard on big rate hikes for home owners and auto policies after post storm rate hikes, not so much sympathy for boat policy holders.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Reverse polarity issue Topic Next Topic: Marinco White vs. Yellow - longevity?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.88 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com