BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Removal of salon door on a 2008 36C
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Model number of hatches? Topic Next Topic: New boats?  

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  19:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My salon door latch broke and while unscrewing it, the "C" clamp that holds the door closed fell into the door. I figured I would remove the door and retrieve it. I'm pretty handy and for the life of me I can't figure out how to take the door off. Believe it or not, I can't even get the screen door off. They are usually on spring rollers. What am I missing here? I find it hard to believe you would have to take the entire frame off. I would order a new part and leave the old one in the door but I haven't been able to find it online yet.
-------------------------
2006 52 Searay Sedan Bridge

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY

BAYCRUSIER

RO# 29044

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  21:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anchor
Look at the inside of the top track there should be a plastic insert screwed in there remove it slide door over and lift up door should clear bottom track and remove. This is how my older 34c is .. Joe

Homeport: Delanco,New Jersey Go to Top of Page

ranger42c

RO# 32710

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  06:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how, but it's apparently fairly easy. Sliding doors are commonly discussed in the owners club forum. -Chris

Selby Bay, South River

Homeport: Londontowne, MD Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  07:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ask Walter, he fixed his lock and had his door out on his 34C.
I think you need to take the front piece of wood off.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  07:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all. It certainly is not intuitive. I did not see any typical plastic or other inserts. I took out top screws and that did nothing. I was just about to grab my hammer and decided on a a cup of coffee instead. I even said to a friend as I was unscrewing it...."I hope this doesnt fall inside the door" two seconds later...Plunk. I should have listened to myself. I dont think a magnet will help retreive it either as my guess is it is made of SS. Does anybody know what that "C" jaw that closes name would be?

Edited by - Anchor Management on Jul 24 2013 08:13:03

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Squber

RO# 661

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  08:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That happened to me on a 2005 34C. I used a wad of duct tape on a metal coat hanger to eventually retrieve it. It helps to have one of those inspection cameras to see what you are doing with the tape and a long flexible grabber to hold it when the taped coat hanger brings it into reach.

Homeport: Oak Grove (Mattox Creek)VA Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  09:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back at it again tonight. Called Taylor Made. They dont sell parts, only full assembly for $2,500. I'll cut a hole in the door first to get the part back.

Al_Prisco

RO# 11094

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  09:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about a snap ring? If so you can get those at most hardware stores.

Moderator of The Marine Surveyor Forum. (Marine Surveyor & Consultant). www.marinesurveyorny.com

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  09:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Al, it is part of the door latch. The best way to describe it is ...it acts like Pac Man. It grabs the "T" on the frame to hold the door closed. I just heard back from Silverton and they have the part. ($38). Sure beats $2,500 from Taylor Made. Now I just need to be careful not to drop this one inside when installing. My door might start getting very heavy by the tme I'm done. I'm still going to Home Depot tonight for a camera and some sort of grabber just because I dont like to give up.

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  14:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't ask the same friend to help you again on this door! :-)

GeeVeeBee

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  14:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that clasp half off way before you said u didn't think it wouldn't fall. Trust me, I was plowing forward.

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  14:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update- Lloyd at Egg Harbor Yachts sent me the $35 part in two days and it is installed and working perfectly. He was terrific and a pleasure to deal with. This doesn't happen too often anymore. I gave it my best shot to get the old part out of the door but nothing worked. I could see it with my colonoscopy scope but could not snag it. Anyway, thanks to all for your advice.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  09:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, next question: Why do you have your own colonoscope?

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  10:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

For those long nights out at Sea. Actually I just bought it at Home Depot for this project. It ws only $100 and the scope can go underwater so I thought it would be a good thing to keep on board. (For both reasons.) :)

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  10:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came to this thread thinking that would be a cool idea removing the double glass door and replacing it with a window and a standard bulkhead door! Sounds like way too much work to me.
LOL
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  11:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anchor Management

quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

For those long nights out at Sea. Actually I just bought it at Home Depot for this project. It ws only $100 and the scope can go underwater so I thought it would be a good thing to keep on board. (For both reasons.) :)

You could have saved a lot of time and energy by simply answering with the truth.....

"Well.....There was that one time at band camp."

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

PeteMrrs

RO# 4125

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  11:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latch on our 310 express cruiser fell apart several years ago. I contacted Silverton and they sent a new latching device. After several hours of trying to make it work properly, I decided that locks were only meant to keep honest people out, and if someone broke my door the cost of replacing it would far exceed anything that we kept onboard.

To this day my sliding door still does not have a replacement lock.

If you are not enjoying every single day, you are just depleting the oxygen supply for the rest of us!

Homeport: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC Go to Top of Page

Delivering Happiness

RO# 33144

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  19:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latch on my door didn't work and I didn't got a key when I bought the boat, looked for a matching key for month (before I finally joined BE) then spend hours on fixing the latch, when I finally did my kids were not able to open the door on their own so I took the male out of the port side of the frame. Oh well...

GeeVeeBee

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  06:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:)

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Model number of hatches? Topic Next Topic: New boats?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com