BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Wellcraft Owners
 230 Coastal cabin drain question
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Considering 290 Coastal - thoughts/questions Topic Next Topic: Wellcraft 1986 Engine Timing  

dstod

RO# 33365

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  16:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have a 2001 230 Coastal (I believe it is the same as the 250 Coastal 2002-04, just name change in 2002) with marine head and holding tank installed. I have found that the cabin does not have a drain to the bilge. I removed the holding tank and I can see a drain well built into the cabin hull floor however the drain line has been fiberglassed over (thin layer of fiberglass and I can see the tube through the fiberglass). Once the holding tank is installed I cannot get access to the drain well area.

My question is, was the drain line fiberglassed over by the factory on all these boats with the marine head option installed or could this have been done by a previous owner? I ask this because I would like to open the drain line so the cabin will have a drain to the bilge area but wanted to see if this may have been done by the factory for safety/access reasons.

Thank you

Edited by - dstod on Jul 24 2013 16:25:20

Homeport: Virginia

troublemaker

RO# 32512

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  00:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my 33ft coastal I have a forward bilge pump there is a bulk head that separates the cuddy from the engine room, is there any sign of the gel coat having been fiber glassed over the color of mine is light brown.

TM

Homeport: British Columbia Go to Top of Page

dstod

RO# 33365

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  12:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply,

Yes, the white gel coat has been glazed over with a smooth thin layer of what looks to be a light green/brown color resin.

The cabin is separated from the fuel tank area by a bulkhead. There is not enough room on either side of the bulkhead to get access or to install a bilge pump. I have seen where some of these models have a porta potty located in front of the bulkhead. Ones with the head option have the holding tank installed there with a bolted in panel separating the holding tank from the cabin however water will pass under the panel and settle under the holding tank until the front of the boat is lowered. There is usually only water in cabin caused by washing the cabin area, leak from the water tank, or in my case, when a hatch is left open. I am concerned that this could be a bigger issue if I was to take on water in the cabin area while it is docked for an extended period of time. No way for the water to get to the bilge pump in the back.

Homeport: Virginia Go to Top of Page

troublemaker

RO# 32512

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  16:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the drain line is glassed over then I would open it back up,I don't know if you can find s waste gate that small to fit the drain line I would install one on the outside of the bulk head
just to give me some piece of mind.

Good luck

TM

Homeport: British Columbia Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Considering 290 Coastal - thoughts/questions Topic Next Topic: Wellcraft 1986 Engine Timing  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com