BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Martha's Vineyard???...Now Nantucket!!!!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hey Mainers!  Questions Topic Next Topic: Whats in the water?  

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are planning a trip out east that will take us to Montauk then to Block Island and then (possibly) to Martha's Vineyard.

So some questions for those of you that are closer...

Are there any kid friendly marines to stay while we are there?

Is it worth the trip (meaning is it that much different than Block Island)?

TIA

Jeff

Past:
1970 13' Boston Whaler Sport...the "Minor Decision"
2007 Formula 31PC...the "Family Decision"
2000 Proline 30 Express...the "Our Decision"
1997 Hydra-Sports 22' Center Console...the "Split Decision"

Edited by - jeff_c on Aug 19 2013 09:33:49

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is much different than Block (which I love) and totally worth the trip. My kids love the place. There are 4 worth destinations, all a bit different.

1. Edgartown. Mostly moorings, very little dockage available. Fancier town, nice shopping, very pretty, great beaches near by
2. Oak Bluffs. The most "block like". A little more honky tonk in a good way. Carosel, game rooms, etc. Stay at town marina backed up to town wall or on mooring.
3. Vineyard Haven. Kinda sleepy, Dry town but still nice. Town moorings or a few marinas including black dog warf
4. Menemsha. Sleepy fishing village with some excellent restaurants and seafood shops. Stunning beaches. Stay at town marina, throw rock at beach.

Kid friendly means different things to different people. There is nothing on the Vineyard like Champlains on block. Oakbluffs to me is closest to Block. No marina with a pool that I can think of. But my kids like the beach and exploring.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  10:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just came back, we like it, not knowing your preferences its hard to say whether it would be "worth it" for you. From Block its about 45 miles to Menemsha harbor which is a pretty little fishing village with two restuarants, the two fish markets with "right off the boat" seafood are excellent. as far as Kid friendly....if you`re talkig pool and swingsets...ahhh, no. If you want right on a real nice beach, exploring and critter catching in the beautiful pond, (you can still see the remains of the Orca, from Jaws) the they will be busy for days. for 8.00 a day (which is a godd deal cheaper than taking the boat around the island to vineyard haven, Oak Bluffs , or Edgartown.) the vta bus will pick you up in the parking lot and take you any where on the island you could want to go. The view off the bluffs at Aquinnah is worth the ride.

Homeport: Haddam Ct Go to Top of Page

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  11:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info!!!

I guess I should have been more clear...and up to date...on the kids thing. The daughter is 13 and won't be happy no matter what I do...unless she is shopping :) and the son is a 17 yo musician and will be happy as long as we have power to run the PS3 or his guitar amp.

But seriously, I mean a place with some activity and shops and a pretty active marina. Sleepy won't cut it. I guess I am looking for Montauk Yacht Club meets Champlains.

Thanks,
Jeff

Past:

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  11:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to wait until the royalty has departed the Vineyard prior to your arrival.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  12:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Oak Bluffs fits your description, IMHO the most active of the stops. I could best describe it as having your boat in a nice slip in Old Harbor at Block, everything is right there.

Edited by - mx8 on Aug 08 2013 12:13:52

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  12:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MX8 is right. Oak Bluffs sounds like your place. You can dock right in the heart of town. Beach, shops, restaurants all right there. Interesting to note there really are no full service "resort type" marinas al la Champlains OR MYC. If you stay in OB you can get to any of the other spots via the very good bus system (or a taxi) so you can check out other harbors. OB is in the middle of Vineyard Haven and Edgartown. Maybe 10min car ride to each or very bikeable.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  13:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't say I have have been impressed by MV (been to both vineyard haven and Etown). Indeed, you may want for the royal family to be done vacationing there, I can't imagine how bad disruption must be...

If you haven't been to Cuttyhunk, plan a stop there, it is really worth it. Depending on the weather, you may get a smoother ride going up the bay hugging the islands and then thru woods hole to MV, more scenic too.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Aug 08 2013 :  13:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we spent a nite day in Cuttyhunk, kinda redefines a quiet island but the harbor was packed! We took a mooring on the port side of the entrance channel, was protected even tho the wind was really blowing that day. I seriously dont know where all the people were on that tiny island. The view from the end of the road up top is incredible.

Edited by - mx8 on Aug 08 2013 14:01:09

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  18:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, a 13 and 17 year old?? Skip MV and go right to Nantucket Boat Basin - that's my vote. Or stay in Block. Don't care for MV much.

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  06:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nantucket Boat Basin looks awesome. I'll definitely have to look further into that.

How far is that run?

Past:

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  15:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeff_c

The Nantucket Boat Basin looks awesome. I'll definitely have to look further into that.

How far is that run?

Nantucket Boat Basin is roughly 20nm from Edgartown to the basin as the crow flies. I always stay in the main channel away from the many shoals so maybe a bit further.

Well worth the trip if you've never been and don't mind the premium transient fee. The kids, if like mine, will love all the things you can do right in the downtown area or via public transportation.

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  15:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I am definitely, plotting that as a destination.

We tend to run as far east as the weather will allow us and then work our way back home so I could see doing Montauk and then Nantucket for the first two legs and then hitting MV and BI (for Labor Day we).

Thanks!

Jeff

Past:

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  16:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's about 25/30 nm from vineyard heaven to Nantucket as you need stay north of tuckernut shoal before turning in. It can be a little rough there too

Well worth it though, MV doesn't even come close to Nantucket. MV is a lot more crowded too as the ferries are easier to get too instead of having to drive all the way to Hyannis.

Th boat basin is nice but expensive, the best view and most privacy is from the moorings, very good launch services to the boat basin.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  20:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Nantucket is a better destination. Have your son bring his instrument and set up on a street corner by an ice cream shop and he may be able to chip in for the gas to make it over !!!!
Shopping ? Oh yeah, they got it.
Tourists are more European and much less "day trippers". A lot more class.
The beaches on the South shore are remarkable. beautiful sand and huge waves !! Mass transit or bikes are good access to get around.

Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  09:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. Booked 3 nights at Nantucket Boat Basin to arrive there next Monday.

Can anyone local give me tips on the best approach from the west for the smoothest ride (I would rather burn time/fuel than beat the heck out of my family)? Should I take a more northern route through Buzzards Bay past Woods Hole? Or do I cut through Vineyard Sound? Or do I just shoot between MV and Nantucket?

TIA

Jeff

Past:

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  10:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you want to go between MV and Nantucket, without serious local knowledge and a shallow draft.

From block island sound, I pick either side of Cuttyhunk and the islands depending on weather. If it s blowing out of the south, the channel between MV and Cuttyhunk can be unpleasant and buzzards is a better choice. You can hug the islands pretty close. Woods hole is a scenic run. If you want to take break for lunch or something, tuck in Hadley harbor for a swim, very nice!

Leaving woods hole, things can be a bit rough north of vineyard heaven, depending on current vs wind. After that it settles a bit although with easterly it can get. A bit choppy Round the shoals before turning SSE towards the island

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  16:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pascal.

Glad you mentioned the issues with channel between MV and N...I was checking the charts out and it seemed marked enough to navigate in decent weather (and it would have to be for me to be in open water like that for so long). My draft is only about 3' (2' 11" officially) but I would rather stick to deep waters and less shoals without that local knowledge so I will avoid that route.

Jeff

Past:

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  16:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going between the two as Pascal states is for the local's, too much current and shoaling for me to tackle. I've alway gone right up vineyard sound which is an excellent ride running with the tide (and of course good weather). Stay in the main channel north of Nantucket as the shoaling is pretty severe across the sound. We've had some wet and bumpy rides if the weather doesn't cooperate with your plans.

Wish i was joining you - we didn't make a boat basin run this year.

lol, my son took his guitar and case out on the town and after collecting a whole dollar was approached by the local police looking for a permit - and that was the end of that!

Have fun - send the kids to the beach and head over the winery by bike. Good times.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  17:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Btw, exploring the upper harbor with the tender is nice... Good beaches and some nice spots along the way

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  19:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, are you towing the whaler? Saw the pics and it looks great - nice work!

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  22:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I think I have my main route figured out through Vineyard Sound.

Yes, Jeff, my plan is to tow the whaler. I have a good rig and I have reinforced the towing eye to handle rough seas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdvxg88m9o1uqy7/IMG_1119.JPG

Want to join us?

Jeff

Past:

Edited by - jeff_c on Aug 19 2013 22:39:12

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  22:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a solid set up.

I would love to join you guys, but I have taken off 4 weeks in the last 6. I have to lay low on the days off for the rest of the summer.. Plenty of boating left, but just long weekends on Fire Island for us - maybe one more trip to the Hampton's - we will see... Have a great, safe trip!!

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  06:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got back on Sunday and I can't thank you all enough for your recommendations. The Nantucket Boat Basin was perfect for us. It was a little quiet due to being there midweek and the crappy weather but the proximity to town and the restaurants gave us all the activities we needed.

Oak Bluffs was also a great call. Again the weather sucked but the town area was fun for the 'kids' (I guess you're never too old to ride a carousel a few dozen times) and having access to the bus to Edgartown was key.

I think we will head back to Nantucket again next year (earlier in the season without the kids) to catch better weather and explore more of the island.

Thanks, again,

Jeff

Past:

Previous Topic: Hey Mainers!  Questions Topic Next Topic: Whats in the water?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.52 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com