BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Fishing, both Fresh and Salt water
 Gigging Flouder with a light stick.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Ontario Olcott NY 8-17-13 Topic Next Topic: Scientists off delaware catch shark within a shark  

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  17:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Gulf off MS, AL, LA etc guys are gigging flounder using a Bright light on a stick to attract them. Or maybe light enough to see them.
Have any of you guys done this?

"My tool of choice for this venture is a LED Flounder Light made by SeaLark off the Gulf Coast Fishing Connection forum. This fella machined the end cap, and the lamp cap, shimmed it as well. It is some serious pvc. The battery is a 12v similar to what is found in a deer feeder, or alarm box. Since it's LED I believe it will pull around 1ah and was told this particular MR16 bulb emits around 4-500 lumens. Thats a lot consider what I was told it draws"

Homeport: AL.

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  19:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to do it with a Q Beam and a frog gig.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  19:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use one made locally. All PVC, with three LED lights. Works great, sure beats hauling a 20 lbs. Coleman Lantern around. You use the light to spot the flounder's outline in the sand. Nothing better than a fresh broiled, whole flounder with a jumbo lump topper, butter and a squeeze of lemon. Gulf coast living at its finest.

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  20:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been gigging flounder since I was 8 years old.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PETA now selling "I hate Bill D." T-shirts

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  21:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out this guy. He's giggin' flounder (I think) in the second segment.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

speedo
Redding, CA

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  22:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am Grateful for the Camera guys who have the Patience to take those photos.

An ARMY buddy was a Cameraman for Disney on the "Charlie the lonesome Cougar" project.
I learned from that kid, that I didn't have the patience for Wild life filming.

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  00:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, videography is tough enough with humans, incredibly challenging to get the "money shots" with wildlife.

I helped put together a training program for CCU nurses many years ago and it involved video. The video guys told us at the time that the ratio of raw to finished footage was typically 60:1. For wildlife, I can't even imagine...

speedo
Redding, CA

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Lake Ontario Olcott NY 8-17-13 Topic Next Topic: Scientists off delaware catch shark within a shark  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com