BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: mloustau ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 34 Silverton info
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rub Rail Topic Next Topic: exhaust knocked of  

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  20:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at a 1993 Silverton Aft Motor Yacht with 454 Crusaders. Anybody have any experience with this model?
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  16:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same hull and motors as my 94 34 Conv. What do you want to know?

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  17:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boat is very clean, has low hours,and runs well. My concern is that while running at about 8mph, the boat was leaning towards the side with some heavy passengers. They moved and it evened out. I don't get that happening on my Carver with a narrower beam and I was wondering if that is normal for that hull. Just seemed unstable for a 34 foot boat.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  10:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, unless thet are really heavy and on the flybridge. Did you try leveling with trim tabs?

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  11:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did use the trim tabs but didn't think that I should have to. One big guy was on the bridge and one was on the rear deck.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  16:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were the tabs set equally to begin with? typically a very stable ride. What do you consider a big guy? Put enough weight on one side of any fly bridge boat and you won't be level.

Edited by - Gregory S on Sep 05 2013 16:25:54

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  18:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing at 8 mph, trim tabs don't have much effect at all.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  15:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'd think not, but they certainly do on my 34C--same hull as the 34 aft cabin.

Kevdon22

RO# 32964

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  23:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
I have owned two Silvertons, a 1988 40' convertible and a 1999 42' aft, and have been very satisified with both boats. I have not experienced the list that you describe. It is my opinion, and only my opinion, that the smaller aft cabins look to be somewhat top heavy and might be more sensitive to lateral weight distribution. Considering basic physics, it is obvious that the higher the center of gravity, the more sensitive the boat will list to one side due to uneven weight distribution port to starboard.
I have talked to several owners of the 34 Aft and they were very satisfied with the boats. I have been on several 34 Afts and they are great boats in my opinion.
As I recall one issue with some of these, is that some have had to replace the gas tanks. I don't know if only certain years are involved years

Kevdon
Forked River,
Barnegat Bay
NJ

Homeport: Forked River, NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rub Rail Topic Next Topic: exhaust knocked of  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com