BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 186 ]  [ Total: 187 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 draining block on mercruiser 454 for winterization
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Some kind of drain or fill plug?? Topic Next Topic: Winterizing 5.0 liter Volvo-Penta engines with raw  

whitehouse montego 3257

RO# 33469

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  16:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there. First time winterizing on my own. Had a mechanic assist. Question: port engine, drained block on inside (closest to me) first. When draining outside of block, very little water came out. I did poke inside also. Is this common? are the passages connected at all?
Leslie
"Carver Montego 3257"

Homeport: Pennsylvania

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  17:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume raw water cooled (no antifreeze). Yes, the drain plugs being fouled with crud and scale is common. In the future, keep a #4, #6, and #8 nail handy and thouroughly have at it with the scale as the water is pouring out of the drain. Start from the highest drain and work down so you have water pouring out of all of them as you clean them. I also pour -50 degree camper antifreeze through the engine first to make sure there is no possibility for raw water being left behind to freeze.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

whitehouse montego 3257

RO# 33469

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  18:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Yes, raw water cooled. I'm heading back down tomorrow to open that one drain plug and if no AF comes out, I plan to poke around again as there was very little water the first time around with the mechanic and I'm a bit concerned that there should have been more water draining.

Leslie
"Carver Montego 3257"

Homeport: Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  19:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use antifreeze in mine, I don't pull any plugs. I saw too much rust in the engine when I got boat. It's been going good for 25 years since then.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  21:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When flushing the cooling systems of cars, I sometimes pop the freeze plugs. I have found rocks and a fair amount of gravel from the casting medium still in the water jacket. They can create a dam, preventing full drainage.

Having raw water cooling, it's even possible for rust scale to build up in the water jacket creating a 'dam'.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Some kind of drain or fill plug?? Topic Next Topic: Winterizing 5.0 liter Volvo-Penta engines with raw  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com