BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: CptnCrunch44 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 SF Bay and California Delta Boaters
 Good buy on boats
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: delta trip Topic Next Topic: Boat show in San Francisco  

deltabighat

RO# 14904

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  19:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I stated in an earlier post, I spent the weekend cruising around the delta and I was astounded at the number of boats that could be bought for almost nothing. I must have seen ten, run up on the bank, many half submerged, abandoned by someone, decks collapsing ....what a mess. Isn't this against the law to dispose of your boat this way. I would think every boat should have registration numbers or something to identify the culprits.

DBH
"the only time the boat has too much fuel is when its on fire"

Homeport:

ginman

RO# 30983

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  22:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to this YouTube vid, there was a big push to clean up the abandoned boats in the delta in 2011. Guess there is more work to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_sphzLQkw

Homeport: Clayton, CA Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  04:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What else do you do with your boat when no one will take it or buy it? Given the cost to clean up the mess that is left with abandoned boats it seems that the state/s would do well to offer a program by which you could turn it in to them. It would have to be cheaper than going out and pulling them off where ever they have sank and dragging them in to do the same thing with them.

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

Savasa

RO# 27055

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  05:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all,
You can donate a boat to a charitable organization and get a tax receipt but I think some just don't want to go to the trouble or work to do so. Another thing to consider is if a boat is damaged during a storm and maybe uninsured some will just abandon them not wanting to throw good money after bad to clean up the waterway. I've heard some states do actively go after owners for recovery costs but I've also heard some owners even go to the trouble of defacing the HIN to escape payment. As far as just taking an abandoned boat, you probably have to jump through numerous hoops to get a title.
Peter

Homeport: Iqaluit, NU Go to Top of Page

jmeirhofer

RO# 30972

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  05:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charity won't take anything they can not sell. Even Good Will has become picky about what they will take because they were tired of being a dumping ground for folks to cheap to dispose properly

John
1997 Trojan 440 Express

"Son, I've got a very low bull$*%t tolerance" -- Pancho Carter

Homeport: Patch of Dirt in Pasadena, MD Go to Top of Page

ginman

RO# 30983

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  13:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling those abandoned boats are old junker hulks that the owners(?) could not sell, give away, are illegal, etc. I can attest to the difficulties in donating a boat. Had a friend try a few weeks ago with an older boat he 'customized'. You'd think he was trying to join the Secret Service, the charity (forget which) put him through so many questions. Safe to say, he still has the boat.

Homeport: Clayton, CA Go to Top of Page

Savasa

RO# 27055

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  13:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh.....Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Homeport: Iqaluit, NU Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  16:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up trashing my previous 28ft wood boat. I found a local salvage guy who removed the engine and that was donated to the marina because he wanted to try to sell it. The rest of the boat was cut up and disposed of (I assume properly). If I remember, it cost around $500. Fiberglass boats are probably more costly to dispose of. I am amazed at people who just leave boats abandoned. I would be concerned about finding a lean against my house for some EPA or Coast Guard pollution fine. But I guess others don't care and just assume the gub'mnt doesn't have the funding to find them.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: delta trip Topic Next Topic: Boat show in San Francisco  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com