BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: luna sea ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Silverton 410 sport bridge
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Replacing metal mufflers Topic Next Topic: Volvo Bow Thruster Recall  

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  17:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for known problem areas with this boat, it has 370 cummins. Thanks in advance.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  20:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
When the boat was designed, it was to weigh x amount in pounds, reality is it came in at x+++ in pounds. With that said, the early models of this boat had plastic through hull discharges for the gen set, and self bailing cockpit. Plastic is not to be used for such if such is at , close, or below the waterline. Reason is you cannot clamp the hose tight enough to the through hull fitting.
Long story short, my friend had his boat launched one spring, there was heavy winds on his stern when docking the boat, hence he had to power in hard to dock the boat. What happened was the hose popped of and the boat eventually sank.
Upon investigation from the insurance company he learned what I stated above. I believe, Silverton was on the hook for part of this claim. If that is true, there might have been a recall.

So, with that said, if your looking at an early production model, take notice of this. I would also tip your surveyor off on this so he can check to make sure the boat never did sink.

This person that had this boat loved it and never had any negatives to say about the boat, he since has sold it. He was a member of the SOC, so there may be some info there. His name was Jay Ofsink )sp). Real good guy and owned a slip in my marina.He only stored the boat there in the winter and boated out of Port Washington. He used the crap out of the boat and as mentioned, had nothing but good things to say about this boat.
I know about this because at one point I was interested in this boat.

Best of luck
Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  07:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Walt, I am aware of the boat you are talking about - hope this one isn't it! lol.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  16:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Anything happen yet with a purchase?

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  18:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Walt!
Done deal, sold the 34 and took possession last week. I moved it from bear Delaware to chesepeake city yesterday (in the pouring rain) for some overdue maintenance. Really like it, will be bringing everything up to par over the next couple weeks and then make the trip home.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  21:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!!!!!

George Carlin

Previous Topic: Replacing metal mufflers Topic Next Topic: Volvo Bow Thruster Recall  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com