BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: CptnCrunch44 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 SF Bay and California Delta Boaters
 Salt or fresh water
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On the hook Topic Next Topic: Boat on fire  

Arnold

RO# 12330

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  15:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me when the water in the Delta starts to be considered fresh water for the purpose of out drives maintenance. Are Benicia and Vallejo considered fresh or salt water? Thanks.
Arnold

Homeport: San Francisco, CA

manticore999

RO# 17103

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  22:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benicia is kind of brackish. I would think 'maybe' Pittsburg but possibly as far up as Antioch.

I'm not afraid to die. I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it.

Homeport: Oakley, CA Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  11:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on the tide and location. If you have water moving inland, the water can be anywhere from salt to brackish to mostly fresh. Also, salt and fresh may not readily mix. Some places you can see the incoming and out going moving side by side. Other areas, the salt can be moving in under the out going fresh.

There was a time that the delta was fresh, but since they started diverting water to the southland, salt incursion has been moving further and further into the delta.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Arnold

RO# 12330

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments.

Arnold

Homeport: San Francisco, CA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  13:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Charlie

Early explorers noted they could drink bay water . Probably surface water in rainy season

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Apr 09 2014 :  19:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They put a salt water blocking lock/barrier on the east end of Montezuma Slough many moons ago. To my taste, the water in Southern Steamboat Slough was brackish last time I tasted it 8 years ago.

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page

3birds

RO# 14567

Posted - Apr 10 2014 :  07:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heard, and I don't know if it is true, that the Vallejo marina is the best of both worlds. It is fresh water on the ebb and salt water on the flow.

Homeport: Dove Canyon CA Go to Top of Page

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  06:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 3birds

I had heard, and I don't know if it is true, that the Vallejo marina is the best of both worlds. It is fresh water on the ebb and salt water on the flow.

No, the Napa River is more than brackish that far down; it is referred to as Mare Island Strait at that point. The river, such as it is, drains into the various sloughs to the northwest of Vallejo as much as it does through the Strait.

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: On the hook Topic Next Topic: Boat on fire  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com