BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: aenglebert1 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Engine room refit - Expen$ive!!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Our new ride  .... Topic Next Topic: Heard on ch 9  

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - May 27 2014 :  10:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is unbelievable how much money this is costing me. Seacocks and thru hulls were not done correctly by the builder; $500 to do it right. Stringers and transom redone; probably $2k in materials. Found out I need all kinds of tools I didn't already own; a good $1k+. Fuel tank has minor corrosion; I'd be a fool to not replace it while the engine is out right?, $700. Might as well replace all the hoses; probably $250. Might as well repack the rudder and shaft stuffing boxes and replace stuffing box hose, and replace the cutlass bearing, and while I'm at it replace the shaft coupling; another couple hundred bucks. New bilge pump, new blowers, oh and I should probably buy that super duty Trident 4" blower hose so I never have to do it again; another $1k.

And this is only one side of the engine room! I still have to do the other side in the fall/spring!

B.O.A.T.T. Break out another TEN thousand!!

It's worth it, right? Peace of mind? A blinding white epoxied engine room that I will be able to just stare at and admire? Also on a positive note, I am learning a lot by doing all of this myself.

Edited by - stevenp on May 27 2014 10:37:22

Homeport:

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - May 27 2014 :  11:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOAT = Bend Over And Takeit

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - May 27 2014 :  11:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BUT.....Think of all the money you're saving on fuel!!!!!

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - May 27 2014 :  16:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this your 1986 boat listed in your profile? What's wrong with these things the vendor did 28 years ago? Also, I wouldn't bother with the 1k blower hose upgrade, but that obsviously isn't all of your costs.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - May 27 2014 :  16:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the stuff was done right, but things are old and need to be repaired.

Using the Trident blower hose is only about a $50 upgrade. My point is all of these little things add up though. When you start peeling back the layers on a big project there's sometimes no telling where you'll end up. Plus, I just wanted to vent a little bit.

Here's a picture of the 1-1/4" seacock. Mismatched threads. No flange. A piece of pipe for a barb.

Edited by - stevenp on Jan 23 2017 13:35:28

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - May 27 2014 :  17:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cringe when I see those gate valves like the ones that came with my Phoenix . Had them all ripped out and replaced with quality heavy-duty cast bronze ball valves w/ HD handles and flange after discovering that nothing closed when the handle on the gate valves was turned down. They were a sinking waiting to happen.

Steven- Might as well replace the engine while it's out , no? Did you check the shaft for scoring? As long as you are upgrading the seacocks, how about scoop strainer thru-hulls that have handy access doors?
Slotted: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56786&familyName=Groco+Bronze+Slotted+Hull+Strainer+With+Access+Door++ ,

...and perforated type http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56749&familyName=Groco+Bronze+Perforated+Hull+Strainer+With+Access+Door++

Oil change pump hose & connection to the pan drain plug hole, if you don't already have that?

$$$$$$ !

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - May 27 2014 :  17:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That valve is in much better shape than mine was when I replaced it. Mine literally crumbled into pieces.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - May 27 2014 :  18:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you hire it done, take it, we do it when it needs it.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - May 27 2014 :  20:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a great time to add some much needed lights in the engine room !

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 28 2014 :  14:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That beautiful white engine room is amazing. I even painted the engine white. As you start replacing stuff, think how you can improve on the Mfg. Remote oil and fuel filters and that oil extraction idea like sandy mentioned. Is there a way to make access easier to the outboard side of the engines.

It'll be fun and very satisfying when it's finished.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - May 28 2014 :  14:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there done that only 2 new engines, transmissions, V drives all rubber, sea cocks, new paint and 100% replacement of all rubber and wiring upgrades add System View monitors and you think your boats going to be expensive?
I think your getting away cheap.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 28 2014 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I even used $2500 in epoxy alone.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - May 28 2014 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The single most expensive phrase in boating is undoubtedly "while we're at it'.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - May 28 2014 :  22:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Remote oil filters are already installed. I'm a bit hesitant to add the oil change pump hose because 1) I don't mind extracting it through the dipstick, and 2) there are currently no leaks and adding fittings always runs the risk of introducing leaks. I realize that an extraction hose gets that little bit of oil on the bottom of the pan that you can't get otherwise, but does it really make that big of a difference either way if the block is nice and warm from running a full day?

Shafts look good by the way. Very little scoring, about .002" per side.

Edited by - stevenp on May 28 2014 22:33:51

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - May 29 2014 :  04:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use my oil extractor to both drain and fill.

Installed it at the very first oil change after purchase in 2001

using 1 gallon jugs in the lazarette, its an easy, quick and CLEAN task.

RWS

Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - May 29 2014 :  06:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something like this?

http://www.qwikvalve.com

http://www.oildrainvalve.net

Edited by - stevenp on May 29 2014 06:08:05

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - May 29 2014 :  06:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, this looks like a better setup and probably more similar to what you guys are using?

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/jabsco/205778F.pdf

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - May 29 2014 :  07:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you don't actually need a valve. Just a fitting and run the drain hose above the level of the oil in the pan...and a little more so you have easy access. Stick a 3/8" rod in the end to keep out debris

Charlie

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd write an update. I went through with the project and finished it less than two winters and didn't miss a single day on the water. I spend so much time poking around in there now during the season watching things run. What a great learning experience. Glad I did it.

Edited by - stevenp on Jan 23 2017 13:35:12

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  23:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job , Steven! Are you now concerned about using the boat and maybe getting a spec of dirt or oil in that beauty of an engine room? I bet that room glows in the dark. Waytogo. Now if you just had home-engineered stainless riser/elbows, Charlie would probably offer to adopt you.

At 1st glance at the last pic I was a little concerned with not seeing a slightly flexible hose section on both ends of the mufflers, but then I realized the mufflers appear to be Sheridan(?) Marine rubber mufflers that would not likely stress crack at that aft connection to the through-pipe. Are they pretty effectively quiet? I'd think the rubber "give" might help dampen sound waves of the wet exhaust compared to a stiff f/g one. .

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  02:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot dam that looks nice. Congratulations! That experience puts you up there as a boat owner.

Charlie

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  05:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff !

It's been 10 years since I did mine, and it still looks good.

Yours will too !

RWS

Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

stevenp

RO# 32102

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  15:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! It pales in comparison with some of the rigs on this site but I am pretty proud of it.

Sandy, I ran the boat all last season with the updated engine room. I actually run the boat harder now because I have a better understanding of how things work. And, as my dad says, "they like to be run".

I'm not sure those mufflers do anything but they can't hurt I suppose. I have diverters installed on the outside of the boat to submerge the exhaust. It's quiet with the diverters but without them it's like I'm running straight pipes.

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  20:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Job!!!!!!

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Previous Topic: Our new ride  .... Topic Next Topic: Heard on ch 9  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com