BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Bravo III drive lube bottle
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Waterless coolant Topic Next Topic: anyone tried MagicEzy?  

ErnieMcS

RO# 33646

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  11:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Captain,

a friend of mine, we'll call him "Bill", has a 2001 Bravo III on a 5.7L engine in a trailer boat. Last year, while changing the drive lube, he left the drain plug and the vent plug out for 24 hours, yet the bottle in the engine compartment never drained. Filled up the drive and decided to leave it for 2014.

Fast forward to 2014, and he removed the bottle and blew air from the bottle side of the tube to the drive. a small amount of lube came out of the relief valve. Ran some grass trimmer line down the tub, so the tube seems clear. Pumped about 16 oz additional drive lube into the drive from the bottom, but the lube never made it up to the bottle.

Question 1: Where's the clog?
Question 2: How to unclog?
Question 3: Can he use the boat with the clog as long as he checks the lube in the drive every time he goes out?

Signed, Ernie

Homeport: NA

Riverratt

RO# 12842

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  11:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just occasionally check for signs of oil behind the boat while stopped. A small oil leak will be readily apparent. Not really sure about the bottle, but Volvo Penta does fine without them.

Homeport: St Charles, Missouri Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  13:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is it is in the check valve on the transom assembly. When you remove the drive on the righ side is a valve that prevents the gear lube from running out of the bottle when the drive is removed. Only thing I could think is that valve is clogged or stuck shut. It is actually called an anti dribble valve. You have to pull the drive to get to it.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  13:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keep adding oil to the bottom fill hole until oil shows in the reservoir. Do not run with low oil.

Takes up to 3 qts with reservoir

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  13:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but if the dribble valve really is stuck then it would not allow the lube in the reservoir to flow down into the drive. The drive could run low on oil and you would never know it. When I change my gear lube, the oil drains out of the bottle.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Waterless coolant Topic Next Topic: anyone tried MagicEzy?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com