BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Beaching your boat in CT
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Last time out today.... Topic Next Topic: New pup boating  

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  07:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone along the CT shoreline know of specific places where pulling your boat right up to a sandy shore is permissible? I believe Fairfield beach permits it in locations...anywhere else?

What I'm looking for is the ability to get close enough to shore where we can just walk to the shore in water lower than waist deep.

--Rick
1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Edited by - Rick D on Jul 28 2014 07:11:31

Homeport: Guilford, CT

JoeBalt

RO# 12416

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  09:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not specific to CT but two places in cruising range that I've seen it are Napatree Point and Truman Beach on the north side of LI between Orient Point and Greenport...in both locations I've seen boats drop anchor a couple hundred feet out from shore, back in and run a second anchor to the beach by dingy and pull the boat in as much as they dared according to draft and depth. At Napatree its mostly smaller center consoles and on a weekend they are thick as flies along the north side almost the length of the spit...

2011 Regal 42SC
Ruff'N It 4

Previous
2008 FW V358
2006 FW V318
2004 FW V288

Homeport: Essex, CT Go to Top of Page

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Jul 31 2014 :  18:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe has it right....not many places in CT. Napatree best....maybe a BE Raft-up? We did that once before many years ago. Bumpy in a north wind there. Local knowledge prevails on sandy CT beaches. One can find them.....they do exist.

If you want CT River: low tide Selden Creek near South entrance, sand bar forms -cool. Bring beach chairs and beverages. Also low tide, across entrance of Hamburg Cove on west side, fun exploring. Maybe others chime in specific to local beach landings on coast.......

2002 Chaparral Signature 260
1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Homeport: CT River Go to Top of Page

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  06:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you want to hurt the bottom of your boat? Beaching your boat is like sanding it....in all different directions. Anchor in shallow water is much better.

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  09:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the things I like about Norwalk there are several islands there that you can beach at they even have BBQs and pinic tables well at least they did before Sandy. We can't beach our boat but we dink there and spend seversl hours.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  14:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bushy Point beach, just east of the Thames, can go in behind for quieter water. airport right there, good or bad depending on whether you like to watch planes or find them annoying...

Homeport: Haddam Ct Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  18:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Long Island side of the Sound, the beaches have sand but also areas with many small rocks, I would not beach any boat other than a hard plastic dinghy on most of them....I'd expect the Ct side is similar.....

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Last time out today.... Topic Next Topic: New pup boating  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com