BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 South Florida Boating Club
 Canal Wakes - Has everyone lost their minds?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Port of Miami Topic Next Topic: Need some help on finding a place.  

footloose

RO# 6963

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  11:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been living on a no wake canal directly off a no wake portion of the ICWW for the past 15 years and all of sudden I think everyone has lost their minds....people are going by at 10 knots putting up 24 inch wakes and slamming my Dads 15 footer into the seawall despite oversized whips.

Full moon? Tourists in July? WTH - I dont want to be the old guy shaking his fist at every other boat/jet ski but it is getting ridiculous. They popped two medium sized fenders and banged up the back of my 40 footer in the last month.

do I call cops or what?

Homeport: Florida

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  11:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most boaters have no clue what "Minimum Wake" and "No Wake" even mean.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  15:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your going to need video evidence I would think.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Reel Antsy

RO# 9587

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  15:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some info on wake and restricted waterways in S Florida.

http://myfwc.com/media/1411232/RestrictedAreas68D-24.pdf

Jamie
1985 Trojan F32

Homeport: Rockville, MD / Colonial Beach, VA Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some (most) younger boaters that have been raised with no rules, why should they start following any now.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  18:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just the young folks. We came across Florida and coming out of one of the bridges a flotilla of motor yachts all throttled up and passed us as well as a mess of docks on the shoreline.
Unfreaking believable. A home owner was calling on the radio and we gave him all of the boat names and ports of call. We were idle in neutral and they plowed by us leaving 2 foot wakes in close quarters. Totally inconsiderate, arrogant, pr1cks that need a lesson.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  18:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were coming back last night approaching the rickenbacker causeway here on the bay, 8:30 pm so fully dark when I spotted a high speed echo coming from behind, doing about 20/25 kts judging both radar trail. I have very limited visibility aft especially at night so I left the helm to see what was closing expecting the typical center console

Turned out to be an 80 or 85 Mutt aiming to pass within 50' off our stbd side despite having a mile wide stretch of open waters. Had to make a quick turn to take the 4' wake on the stern instead of rolling around, possibly injuring people down below.

I know where your house is Olivier, the ICW is a minimum wake zone so rowing a huge wake is inexcusable

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  18:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know folks that throw beer bottles at people that are this disrespectful. If they do not answer a hail bounce a bottle off the foredeck next time.

Further, do not be afraid to call the next bridge or lock they are headed for and report them.

You never know, the L.E.'s might be very willing to meet them and have a discussion.

Edited by - boatbum on Jul 28 2014 18:23:40

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

footloose

RO# 6963

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  10:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess I need to take photos with boat names and give the cops a jingle .... or go down to their parked vessel with the harley and fire up an arneson rooster tail and fill their cockpits - LOL

Frosty Point Ice Cream Parlor in LHP is running as so is the Harley.

Homeport: Florida Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  12:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't waste your time with FWC, they don't give a number two about safety....

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

seahawk215

RO# 15005

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  22:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take photos with registration numbers if you can. BSO was very helpful here in Dania Beach on the cutoff canal. That's what they told us to do. Seems like word got out fast about the cops writing tickets on the cutoff a few years back.

Randy Arline
1986 Chris Craft 360 Commander
Miss KimberLeighann
1971 Boston Whaler 13'

Homeport: Dania Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

sabrejocky

RO# 12195

Posted - Jul 31 2014 :  07:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that in Florida if one gets a ticket and fights it, the fwc or police has a problem, they can't take you to traffic court so it ends up in criminal court and the judges there don't want to deal with it, bottom line it goes nowhere. The person that told me is a city official and boater himself and he had gone through this whole dance he said.

"Pretty Penny"
1990 50' High Tech Euro
Wellington, Florida
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch

Homeport: Miami, Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Port of Miami Topic Next Topic: Need some help on finding a place.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com