BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Sea Ray Owners
 410, 415, 440 AC
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sea Ray Nav Topic Next Topic: 2004 420 DA - fix up questions  

cgpuddles

RO# 31926

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  19:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for inputs on these boats. Family grew, got off active duty so moving is no longer a concern and we're looking to move up. After looking at a lot of boats with her I decided to 'trouble shoot' the wife's issues with the boats we were looking at and it seems the cruisers gave her too much of that closed in feeling. We started to look at aft cabins and bridge boats and she really liked the openness of the salon and all the windows. My concern is we want to be able to cruise with this boat. It looks like moving from the 420/440 Dancers to the aft cabins you only gain about 2,000 lbs. This doesn't seem too bad. What are thoughts/experiences with these boats?
Mike
1998 Maxum 2400 SCR
VICTORS VALIANT
2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Powerstroke (Sold)
2011 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke (Here and loving it!)

Homeport:

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  07:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, here's an old thread that you may find interesting:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=106679

Homeport: Cedar Pt, Oh / Mi / Miami Go to Top of Page

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  07:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since those posts from 5 years ago, I've encountered a credible source from SeaRay who insists that while the 410 and 415 were the same hull, the 440 was extended.

I haven't been able to confirm that. They look identical to me below the rail and aft of the windshield. The hatch placement and fwd interior layout are too different for me to visually determine a difference in length.

You mentioned weight, and in my posts from 5 years ago I went on record as not believing the SeaRay stats. I still don't. My dockmate is seldom-used early gasser without a hardtop. She sits apx 6" higher than the diesel hardtop. I think a loaded diesel with a hardtop could be up to 50% heavier than SeaRay claims.

cgpuddles

RO# 31926

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  21:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I think that was the thread I think I found like a year ago when first looking at these models but hadn't found since. SLW, are you saying the 410/415/440 are around 30k displacement or that ALL Sea Rays are about 50% more than the book says? Surely someone has had theirs hung in the slings. Don't travel lifts have some sort of weight read out on the slings? I know on ships our crane always gave us a reading of anything we lifted. My main concern is I'd like to go from southern lake MI to either Traverse City, Sault or Mackinaw once a year without it being unreasonable. I've been told (granted by people that would benefit from selling me an AC cruiser) that there isn't too much difference cruising in a cruiser vs. an AC. I can't believe that with the added weight and sail area.

Mike
1998 Maxum 2400 SCR
VICTORS VALIANT
2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Powerstroke (Sold)
2011 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke (Here and loving it!)

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  07:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen any figures from a scale, and lift scales are notoriously unreliable, but yeah, I'd say a diesel AC with gear and full tankage would be in the 30k lb neighborhood. I can get there with some arithmetic and guessing, but it also feels about right when I'm trying to push and pull her around in her slip. Definitely lacking science - I'll admit...

Of course, all boats will be significantly heavier than their dry weight, but SeaRay stats are based on base engines and no options. In many SeaRays, gas vs. diesel can already skew the data. In the case of the AC's, that hardtop is beefy, and I'd bet cash that the dry weight doesn't include that. The models with the aft encl/hardtop feel stern-heavy even when the water tank (under the master berth) is empty.

I agree with your instincts about the cruising differences. An old 420DA with the little Cummins B-Series is no speedboat, but she won't have the thirst of the AC either. There's no question in my mind which boat I'd want to be standing next to at the fuel pump after 200 miles.

Previous Topic: Sea Ray Nav Topic Next Topic: 2004 420 DA - fix up questions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com