BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 New boat brings out great memories
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mesmerized by SV Delos Videos Topic Next Topic: hand crank a yanmar GM10 diesel engine?  

Fishlips

RO# 23379

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  20:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five years ago my son purchased his first boat, a 22 foot sailboat. I have always had powerboats but he enjoyed sail. He learned to sail on it and I tried to get out as often as I could. Due to some health issues I did not get out as often as I wanted. He finally decided to get a bigger boat and settled on a 1981 Catalina 27 that is in very good condition. Thankfully my health has improved enough that I am able to go out on it with him a lot more. What a feeling it is to get back on the water! Plus being with my son and enjoying again his company and our mutual interest. Our hobby is much more than that, it is certainly a lifestyle. Remembering back when he was a child and teaching him about the water and boating. How much he wanted to learn! Now he is teaching me. Hopefully I dont hang myself on all these lines! May boating bring you the joy it has brought me over the years.

Homeport: Bayville,NJ

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  21:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. Made me remember sailing with my father. Enjoy!

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  07:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said...

There is something about sailing, to me it s really about being there on the water more than the destination. There is something pure and simple about it, about feeling the boat reacting to the breeze, the sail trimming and the rudder inputs. It feels alive like no power boat can.

The key though is to keep it simple so to that s it s enjoyable. Too many sailboats have become too complex with too any lines just that to squeeze th final 1/2 knot making people think sailing is too complicated. It doesn't have to be.

These days, we re out sailing a few times a week often late afternoon and into the evening... Wondering why nobody else is out there instead of being stuck on a couch watching some pseudo reality crap, or waiting on line for a table at an overpriced restaurant...

Enjoy!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Fishlips

RO# 23379

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  08:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I understand what your saying Pascal. Very peaceful under sail. I think my blood pressure went down a few points every time we go out. This boat is way simpler than the last boat he had. Really easy to sail. We are very happy with her. Oh and nice job on your Starfish, shes a beauty!

Homeport: Bayville,NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Mesmerized by SV Delos Videos Topic Next Topic: hand crank a yanmar GM10 diesel engine?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com