BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: dentray ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 Outdrive Removal for Winter Storage
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Long sleep  

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  08:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be winterize my boat for the first time in several years this fall. I'm keeping it in a dry storage (un-heated) really won't be using the boat from Dec-Apr. I was planning to remove the Alpha I Gen II outdrive and bring it home - for a couple of reasons 1. I need to replace the water pump impeller and 2. I am planning to repaint it. So my question is, what do you do (if anything) to cover up the opening on the u-joint bellows to keep things from getting into it - mainly rain as the storage rack is open on the back side so the backs of the boats get some rain. Was thinking of making a cover just out of plywood that would fit over and use the existing bolts to hold it in place, but wondering if that is overkill?

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  08:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They sell special covers. I had them for my Bravo's. They bolt on and cover it tight. I have seen others use garbage bags or rags.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Sep 26 2014 :  10:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not overkill at all, you do not want moisture getting in there and corroding the gimble bearing. I have a plastic one for my Cobra but if I could not have found this one I'd make one as well, probably out of 1/2 in plywood. Just use the drive to transom mount gasket as a pattern....

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page

MarcP

RO# 11756

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  18:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stuff rags in there and tape a garbage bag over transom assy. Done it for years

Homeport: Lake St. Clair Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  21:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a child's play ball that fits tight. Wrap a rag around it and cram it into the cavity.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Long sleep  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com