BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 MV,Nantucket,Hyannis,Falmouth,Plymouth,New Bedford
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Watch Hill anchorage local knowledge? Topic Next Topic: Champlins 2015  

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  13:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

Looking on planning my summer 2015 Trip. I have read lots of the old posts so here is the definite itinerary so far:

Long Island to
Block Island 2 nights
Martha Vinyards 3 nights July 4th Weekend
Nantucket 3 nights ( stay on mooring maybe?)

This is where I am still researching and need input:

Hyannis 2 nights
Falmouth 2 nights
Plymouth 3 nights
New Bedford 2 nights
Cuttyhunk 1 night

Back to Long Island

Need input on number of nights per port and if these are the right ports to stay at.

As of now just wife and me and maybe some guests at some of the ports.

Looking to sight see, eat drink

Have a Zodiac and bringing bikes to get around.

Total trip:
est 500 nm
17 to 18 days
750 gallons of diesel
TON OF FUN

Homeport: Anchorage Yacht Club Lindenhurst, NY

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  15:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, 2 nights is not enough anywhere. We usually stay a week in Block, and its not enough.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  15:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking at a similiar trip to MV and Nantucket, though we won't do the holiday weekend.
2 nights in block is fine if you have been there before and it's just stopping place.
I would rather spend more time in MV or Nantucket than block.

I hate moorings and Admiral doesn't like to sleep when floating and not tied to slip!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  15:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been to Block a dozen times before (first time without kids), it is really just a stop before Martha Vineyards.
Three nights is usually enough for me in one place. I am more looking for input on the second half the trip.

As far as the mooring in Nantucket at $6.50 a foot plus $55 a night for electric $356 a night incl tax is a little much I think compared to $70 a night on a mooring. I still might get a slip don't know yet.

Homeport: Anchorage Yacht Club Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  17:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any insight on Woods Hole and skip Hyannis and Falmouth?

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  08:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love woods hole and Hadley harbor just across and wood definitely include them.

Cuttyhunk, one night is good but a must visit in my opinion. Dockage is the cheapest in the area , at least it was the last time I was there,

Nantucket: a mooring is the way to go, best view of the town, breeze, privacy etc. Don't miss exploring the upper harbor and its beaches.

New Bedford, I woudl pass... Fairhaven across the harbor is a nice stop for fuel but I woudl do an extra day on the cape instead. It s a pretty town but not worth a stop when you have so few days,

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  09:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In woods hole I always anchored in very sheltered eel pond Don't know what it is like today.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Jan 22 2015 14:09:23

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  10:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO going through the canal just to turn around at Plymouth is a time and fuel waster. Stay below the cape or dedicate more time to above the cape.

Have you visited Bristol? Stonington? Mystic? I hear the Fishers Island is now open to visitors but know nothing about it.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Jan 19 2015 10:46:01

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  16:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a number of years since we went to Hyannis. Not much there. I would skip and spend more time in Nantucket.

Plan well and mind your charts.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

eahearn

RO# 25723

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  22:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Block and Cuttyhunk are my favorites on your list. If you can get a mooring at Block, do it - they have pump out boats and a water boat.

Newport should be considered as well, again on a mooring, but probably only for one night. Nice harbor, great mega-yacht watching, lots of bar/restaurants.

I find Marthas Vineyard to be really crowded when compared to Block and Cuttyhunk. Even more quiet, in Narragansett Bay, is Dutch Harbor. However, if you like nightlife, you'll like Marthas Vineyard and Newport.

2006 Silverton 34 Convertible

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

TheoMD

RO# 15854

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  17:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live on Cape Cod and have boated in these areas for years. I will address the areas you requested. Although I would also briefly touch upon MV. MV has four potential areas to visit by boat Vineyard Haven; Edgartown; Oak Bluffs; and Menemsha. Each offers something distinctly different and worthy of a look. Depends on what you are planning to do and with whom you are cruising. Happy to elaborate further should you wish

Falmouth 2 nights- Nice small harbor. Would first contact the Town Marina as that will be the most reasonably priced. Town within walking distance. Many good restaurants. West Marine and grocery store across the street.

Another thought would be spending one night or both nights in Eel Pond, Woods Hole. Couple of marinas there that may have dockage on the T for a vessel of your size. Worth a call. Woods Hole has many restaurants, and WHOI and MBL campuses give Woods Hole a university feel. Also a small, quaint, Aquarium there that is fun. Many ferries coming and going to MV and ACK. You get to the Marina by passing under a drawbridge.

Hyannis 2 nights- Similar to Falmouth, but bigger. No grocery close by. Pass by the Kennedy compound pick a guest mooring at Hyannis yacht club have lunch and watch the parade of boats in and out of the harbor....

May consider spending less time in Hyannis or Falmouth and perhaps more time exploring the other ports in MV.

Plymouth 3 nights- Very pretty harbor. Access to all the historical sites and Plymouth Plantation (worth the excursion) a reasonable cab ride away. If you are going to that side of the Cape I would pass on New Bedford and shoot across Cape Cod Bay to Provincetown and spend 1-2 days there. The sights there are interesting to say the least. Good restaurants. Awesome view on a clear day from the top of the Pilgrim Monument. On the way back could spend one night at the Sandwich Marina to break up trip and watch all the activity on the canal. Could also think of stopping at Kingman Marine on the way back as well.

Cuttyhunk 1 night- quiet, quaint, relaxing. Worth at least one night.

Can provide more info if needed.....

Homeport: Cotuit, MA Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jan 22 2015 :  11:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, 2 nights is not enough anywhere. We usually stay a week in Block, and its not enough.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 22 2015 :  11:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theo is right I meant eel pond. Quick's hole is between the islands.

Bruce

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  14:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to finalize my plans

Block island 2 nights
Martha vinyard 4 nights

Was looking at 2 nights at woods hole but can't confirm slip till one or two weeks out. No more transients, only avail if one of their seasonals leave

Now looking at Foulmouth for 2 nights

Is the town dock a good place to stay?

Nantucket 3 or 4 nights

Then 2 nights in New Bedford

Pope island marina or the marina and hotel in fair haven?

Then going to

Cuttyhunk 1 night

Newport 2 or 3 nights

Need advice for where to stay in Falmouth and New Bedford

Thanks

Kevin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  16:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

First day to get settled into the place
Second day to explore
Third day to figure out what you missed and explore there, or simply just relax.

Guess I hear you when you say 2 nights is not enough. I also think when your traveling that far away from your port, you should allow as much time as possible for the trip.

I will say though, there have been many places I have visited that does not require two full days. I guess it depends on what you are interested in seeing.

I just like driving my boat, best time on my trips is behind the helm. The destinations don't really matter to me.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

TheoMD

RO# 15854

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Falmouth town dock is fine all relatively new floating docks. Reasonable showers with a West Marine and small market across the street. Easy walk to center of town.

Homeport: Cotuit, MA Go to Top of Page

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  08:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the 2 day vs 3 day vs 7 day argument. As far as how many days I'm staying at places is based on weather or not I have been there before. I have been to block every year for last 15 years, its more of a stopping off place before I get to Martha's for July 4th Weekend. Looking at things to do I don't really need more then 2 days in Falmouth or New Bedford. As far as Newport I have been there a bunch of times also just making my way back.

The big stays are at Martha's and Nantucket, never been there before that's the reason for a 4 night stay.

Only booked Martha's and Nantucket. Playing the rest by ear depending on weather and If I want to stay longer or shorter or just skip all together when the trip actually starts.

jlee815

RO# 27501

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  18:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW I like Hyannis downtown is close and walkable from Hyannis yacht club or if you are not a walker a very short taxi ride to down town.

Jason
Doral Prestancia

Homeport: Lake Lanier GA Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - May 19 2015 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I responded to this before but doesn't look like it. I agree with the others that said skip New Bedford. I stopped there once on a trip back from Cape Cod by car and there really isn't much to see. Whaling museum was pretty nice but otherwise didn't seem like there was much to see, waterfront was very commercial and not really a scenic place to wander around. I was there just a few hours and didn't feel like I missed anything and I didn't feel the need to go back by boat. I would use the 2 days to spend an extra night each in Nantucket and Newport or add a different stop.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

mx8

RO# 24359

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  08:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving Saturday for the area, tentative plan is stopover in Newport one night, thru canal to Plymouth, then 2,3 nites in Ptown, maybe rent a jeep or something to explore around. Stop in Menemsha for an anniversary sunset, (were married on the beach there 10 years ago), then Block, then home next Sunday.

Homeport: Haddam Ct Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Watch Hill anchorage local knowledge? Topic Next Topic: Champlins 2015  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com