BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 187 ]  [ Total: 188 ]  [ Newest Member: Jim_In_Calif ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Ft Lauderdale Marina Fire
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Was I reckless in running an inlet with a bowrider Topic Next Topic: How much chain rode w this anchor for raft up?  

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  17:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From The Sun Sentinel

Images with story on website: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/sfl-fire-at-fort-lauderdale-marina-story.htm

A fire engulfed two yachts early Sunday morning that were connected by rope at the Yacht Management marina, sending a massive plume of black smoke northeastward and touching off a frantic effort by fire crews to prevent the blaze from jumping to nearby vessels.

The blaze started at approximately 6:50 a.m., and as fire crews from Fort Lauderdale Fire and Rescue and Broward Sheriff's Fire Rescue rushed to the scene, near State Road 84 and Southwest 30th Avenue, dozens of drivers on Interstate 595 pulled over to snap pictures and take video of the fire with flames that shot up at least two stories.

Richard Lacelle, a Canadian on vacation, said he was walking nearby the marina when he saw the flames and then heard a boom similar to an explosion. “At that time I couldn’t tell what had happened, but it was very scary,” Lacelle said.
The two ships that caught fire, a 75-foot Azimut and a 50-foot Sunseeker, were connected by rope and to at least four other ships, said Timothy Heiser, Deputy Fire Chief of Fort Lauderdale Fire and Rescue.

When crews arrived, they cut the rope and with the assistance of a tow boat and a fireboat, put distance between the engulfed vessels,
he said.

Firefighters also worked to contain any leaks of fuel. The Sunseeker was carrying 1,500 gallons of fuel that was later pumped out. Special floating booms were placed around the scene for containment and the U.S. Coast Guard was traveling to the scene to assist with that effort.

At least 45 firefighters responded to the scene, as did the marina management and the owners of the involved boats. The fire marshal also responded to the scene but the investigation into what caused the fire was delayed by small flare-ups almost four hours after the blaze started.

There were no injuries and no estimate of the value of the boats.

Homeport: East Coast, USA

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  21:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just up the road from Cable where we are currently hauled out. What a mess. And very scary. Another boat catching fire is always one of my worries when I'm in a working boat yard.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Was I reckless in running an inlet with a bowrider Topic Next Topic: How much chain rode w this anchor for raft up?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com