BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Just my observations on holding tank chemicals . .
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Painting Aluminum (Especially Outdrives) Topic Next Topic: Flushing Suzukis  

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  10:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I been around this BE site awhile now. Last few years not so much, but still post on occasion. Too many know it all smart asses drove many of us away. (that's another thread) Back to my subject . . . .Over the years I have read multiple solutions to the holding tank odor problem.
Some claim the vent tube isn't large enough. Some swear by charcoal vent filters, others swear them off because they can get plugged if tank over fills causing tank collapse when pumping.
Bacteria, anaerobic bacteria, formaldehyde, Odorlos, bleach, Thetford stuff from Wally World, dawn dish soap. Bacteria's need other chemicals to go away (multiple flush and rinses) to be effective. Then there is the stuff that softens water, put it in, drive around then rinse and flush (can't remember what it's called)
I have tried almost all of these. My observation has been that you just can't store #2 in a tank on hot summer days and expect no smell.
For those that make the claim, more power to you, but I am skeptical.
I'm using odorlos now. But I believe that it is a combination of frequent pumping. Minimal time holding poo and ambient temperature.
So here's MY tested advice.
Use the method - chemical - vent- whatever you believe in, BUTT (heh heh heh. . .) what comes out your behind can't be stored. Pump frequently, flush with water, and use the pooper at the marina when you can.
And while I'm here. Toilet bowl cleaners ? I keep Barkeepers Friend on the boat. It is bleach free (remember those chemicals in your holding tank ?) Mildly abrasive if you don't scrub like a maniac, and works great for water spots on glass, china, sinks, swim deck . . . .
Again, use plenty of water on your brush/rag, and don't act like a overgrown gorilla when you're scrubbing.
There's my tested observation / results.
CALGON . . . .that's the holding tank cleaner I couldn't think of earlier.
THE END.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna

Bruce Herrington

RO# 2612

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  14:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more, bob. :-)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With regards to things that stink, or rather, with regard to "The Marine Sanitation Device" and odor control:

Honestly, when used as directed, most of these products will perform as they claim.

The phrase "when used as directed" is where all the problems occur.

Systems that promote growth of aerobic bacteria ( K. O., Odorlos ) work extremely well. BUT there are conditions that must be met in order to get the exceptional level of performance. The two main restraints are that you absolutely MUST have large volumes of air available ( thus, the twin, large bore vent tubes, no vent filters comments ) and you cannot use anything that will kill off the colony, notably bleach.

Formaldehyde systems ( aka: blue stuff ) do, as advertized, kill off the anaerobic ( stinky ) bacteria. along with everything else. You get no odor of waste, ( though you do get to smell the blue stuff ), and what is pumped out is toxic. ( formaldehyde. aka: embalming fluid ) There is no need for any serious venting; only enough to prevent excess pressure or vacuum in the holding tank. Use all the bleach you want...

My preference is for the aerobic method and I provided a sufficient venting system for it to work. It worked very well.

But, again, they all work IF you use as directed and are aware of the up and down sides of the product in question. Remember, these are holding tanks not formal, EPA approved, municipal waste treatment facilities.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Bruce Herrington

RO# 2612

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  17:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KO does seem to work ok. If we're at the slip we use the marina head..

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  09:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KO & Odorlos and everything Bob said.
I have always been a huge Odorlos fan.
I disagree on one point for the tank to promote Anerobic bacteria it must have crap in it, and be vented because Urine is sterile.
Well done Bob.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Mar 13 2015 09:25:25

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  09:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Bob as well on all of it....

"Formaldehyde systems ( aka: blue stuff ) do, as advertized, kill off the anaerobic ( stinky ) bacteria. along with everything else. You get no odor of waste, ( though you do get to smell the blue stuff ), and what is pumped out is toxic. ( formaldehyde. aka: embalming fluid ) There is no need for any serious venting; only enough to prevent excess pressure or vacuum in the holding tank. Use all the bleach you want..."

Adding that the formaldehyde and additional chemicals will greatly accelerate the breakdown of hoses, "O" rings, duck bill valves and just about everything 'important' in your waste system vs the Oderlos of similar choice. Taking a sample of any of these parts and placing them in these chemicals as a test is all you would need to do to be convinced. Similar to some of the cheaper winterizing antifreezes....

Hope this helps

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

bobalong

RO# 19429

Posted - Mar 13 2015 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding that the formaldehyde and additional chemicals will greatly accelerate the breakdown of hoses, "O" rings, duck bill valves and just about everything 'important' in your waste system vs the Oderlos of similar choice. Taking a sample of any of these parts and placing them in these chemicals as a test is all you would need to do to be convinced. Similar to some of the cheaper winterizing antifreezes....

Smitty. . .good point, never had thought about breakdown of soft components. And that MAY be why my system has been - knock on wood -trouble free.

Homeport: Sutherrrn Indianannna Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  11:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with bob. Mostly been lucky in hot FL with KO and lots of water and frequent flushing and pump out.

To his comments I'll add I flush several times with lots of water and KO in the last flush at the end of a trip so that the hoses are, hopefully, cleaner and KO can do its work in the hoses as well.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Painting Aluminum (Especially Outdrives) Topic Next Topic: Flushing Suzukis  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com