BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Sport Sedan 410
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Macerator Pump inline fuse Topic Next Topic: Replacing metal mufflers  

jdidonato

RO# 29569

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  12:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Looking at a 2004 Silverton Sport Bridge 410, 370 Cummins. I was looking for information on the cruising speed and WOT for this setup. I realize the 410 is approx 29K lbs, wanted to find some real boating conditions and rpm on plane. I wanted to make sure this boat isn't underpowered, I'm not looking for a speed boat just want to make sure the boat isn't over propped, causing diesel failure.

Thanks
Joe

Homeport: Long Point MD

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2001 with those engines. First I absolutely love te boat. It is very solid with no inherent issues.
At 2750 it is a solid 17 knots with half fuel. Max RPMs is 3000 which will put it close to 22 it's. 24 by 24 props, likes a little tab. Not a fast boat by any means, however the 370s are very economical, very. Make sure you can get 3100 rpm minimum, do not overload those engines. If properly proped and maintained they are very good engines. With cummins 430's you would see a 22 kit cruise.
I know the boat well if you have any other questions.

Edited by - Britanic on Apr 19 2015 20:48:17

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  20:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a excellent surveyor and cummins mechanic in the Chesapeake area if you like, they both know silverton intimately.

jdidonato

RO# 29569

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  07:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I figured the boat wasn't a speed boat, just wanted to make sure it would plane at a good rpm. You run your boat at 2750 cruise?
The owner of the boat I'm looking at was saying at 2200 he is about 16-17kts.
From reading the specs WOT 3000, should reach this with full fuel and water. In getting familiar with diesels overloading is the biggest cause of engine failure.
Was it an issue getting use to access to the bow from the bridge, not being able to walk around the side?
If my offer is accepted I would very much like the name of a surveyor, also a certified Cummins tech. I'm probably going to get a separate engine survey.

Homeport: Long Point MD Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  14:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy those RPMS at cruise, if its right then it is way over propped and no way I would buy it. Those RPMS are more like what you would see with the 450's...
I do cruise at 2750, boat is very quite and stable. About half the time I cruise at hull speed which is 7KTs at 1200 RPM. Because of the layout and huge bridge we often times put around that way - burns almost no fuel at that speed. The boat will stay on plane as slow as 13 kts, but "feels and sounds right" at 2800rpm and those extra 50 RPMS will periodically touch 18kts. I have verified my tacs are accurate and props are propscaned and true 24 by 24 with no cup. I do paint the props (cold galvanized) Bow access is actually very convenient and very safe. I can single hand dock because of the access on both sides. You need a very long brush pole to wash Her but you can get to the entire hull with it. Aft visibility while docking is limited, you can see down the stairwell and see the starboard corner of the swim platform. Cant see **** on the port side aft, but I got used to it. I did install a camera on the Arch and another in the salon looking back mainly so I can keep an eye on the kids as they come and go, run them thru a garmin. Havent used the rear camera to help in docking but its there if I need it. Main wire chase is behind the fridge, have to pull it to get to it, not the best design but once the fridge is out you can stand in there and do what you have to. Lavarette is HUGE, awesome storage, I call it my meth lab, keep everything down there. Engine room layout is good, all things accessible. If your new to diesel join boatdiesel (dot) com lots of information. Good Luck. Picked up mine on the north Chesapeake.

Edited by - Britanic on Apr 20 2015 14:08:05

jdidonato

RO# 29569

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  22:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to get your recomended Surveyor and Cummins tech, I made an offer and the broker said it all looks good. They want to try and close in 10 days, not sure that will happen. Most surveyors are a bit behind with the weather we have been having this spring.

Thanks for your help and information
Joe

Homeport: Long Point MD Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  22:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert Kissinger / Kissinger Marine Surveying Charlestown MD (surveyor) 410-937-0400, he can also do the oils samples if you like.
Mark Ward / Marine Diesel Innovations Chestertown MD(Certified Cummins Mech, also was the Cummins spec-in Mechanic for Silverton 443-321-9955, he knows the 410 well.
Good Luck!

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  20:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in love with the 410. Looked at a ton. I would not buy one with the 370 under powered I would go with the 450 or best yet the Volvo 480hp engines with electronic controls and now thruster.

But I ended up with a 42c bust bet ever boat is a monster not as big inside but a much better handling boat in seas better economy on fuel and much better looking. Plus the hard top is the way to go.

Go 42c or stay home. Just my opinion very glad I went this route.

Good luck either way.

Never buy a boat with the base engine gaurented that it's underpowered

Kevin

Homeport: Anchorage Yacht Club Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Macerator Pump inline fuse Topic Next Topic: Replacing metal mufflers  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com