BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 New raw water pump
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cable oiler Topic Next Topic: dielectric grease in battery lug?  

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  09:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to install new Sherwood water pump. Unit came with impeller installed. Should I remove the face plate and push vanes in correct direction? Or will they just go into place on their own? I know to lube it with soapy water before I fire her up. Thanks in advance.

Homeport: long island, n.y.

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vanes will flip. Actually, I wouldn't put the soap on the impeller. That's just to aid getting it in. The water will lubricate it. A little friction is probably good to make them flip.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Edited by - MichaelNJ on Apr 28 2015 10:23:45

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why Sherwood? What engine(s) do you have? I tossed the Sherwoods on my Cummins and replaced with Seaboard

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  10:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crusader small blocks. Sherwood is what crusader used. I've had no issue with them other than this one is tired. For all I know it's original. I've had boat for 10 years and this is first I'm replacing one.

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  11:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started out just doing elbows and risers. Then I looked at the hoses and commented to myself, you've never changed them. So all new hoses, then I did acid wash on heat exchangers. Had to take water pump off to get a hose in place and noticed water pump shaft was wobbly. So here I am. Starboard all done. Just finishing port now. I better see 5 degrees cooler or my wife will kill me. I am just so much slower than I used to be.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Sherwood seem OK in other applications. Something unique about the Cummins design. The failure seems to be the ceramic seal that allows water to the bearing and starts to rust. That seal is designed to not wear like a rubber seal. In commercial applications where they are run frequently those pumps seem to do much better. I suspect that the ceramic seal dries out and leaks for us folks that don't use it every day. Apparently it cant be lubed either as that will mess up the sealing action.

Tony seems to think that the bearings are insufficient. I debated his three bearing idea with him when he was developing the pump. I know they work better but I don't know if he uses a rubber seal or the same ceramic seal.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Apr 28 2015 12:08:25

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

vic33004

RO# 27361

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  13:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zane

As others have noted soap is typically used to help ease the impeller in to the housing.

Soap has the added benefit of showing suds in the exhaust water immediately after start up. This confirms you really do have water flow, not just blowing out water from the muffler. A new impeller will be toast in about 30 seconds of use with zero water flow.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, FL Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  16:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All done. Have good flow. Still shrink wrapped as my Bimini is getting a patch. Hopefully take a ride this weekend. Thanks for all the responses.

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  19:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually after running her again not happy with the flow compared to other side. Will pull off pumps faceplate in a.m. And push vanes to correct spot .

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  22:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vanes have to be in correct direction. No way they can be facing the wrong way after even one full turn

If you don't have enoug flow, start looking at restriction Make sure you don't have impeller pieces, or sea grass down stream of the oump, usulaly the heat exchange inlet

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  07:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything on raw water side is new and heat exchanger clean. Could be my imagination. Ran cool at the dock but bay water is only around 45 degrees. Play again later with it.

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  11:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zane- Keep in mind, all or some of the vanes may reverse themselves even just from the engine being bumped back a part of a revolution by compression when the engine is turned off. So what you see may not be what lean they have when On.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Cable oiler Topic Next Topic: dielectric grease in battery lug?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com