BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: mloustau ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Local knowledge for Canapitsit Channel
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Block Island Clamming Shutdown?!?!?!?!?! Topic Next Topic: Woods Hole or Falmouth  

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - May 18 2015 :  11:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone give local knowledge of the Canapitsit Channel at the north end of Cuttyhunk Island. Is it well marked? Is it navigable and at what tide? I have a 42' Convertible with a 42" draft.

Thanks

Homeport: Anchorage Yacht Club Lindenhurst, NY

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - May 18 2015 :  12:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always go around the island to avoid that channel. It is doable, I chose to reduce my stress if I can, going thru that channel looks stress full to me.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - May 19 2015 :  21:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went around when I went to Cuttyhunk also and did not see any large boats going through that channel. Walking to that end of the island it didn't look like a channel I wanted to chance. There are much easier ways of getting there that aren't far out of the way.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - May 20 2015 :  21:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been through a couple of times. The depth is there but the channel is tight enough to avoid. I always enter from the other side now.

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

eahearn

RO# 25723

Posted - May 22 2015 :  21:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you try Canipsit when Quick's Hole is very close, well marked, easy to navigate and essentially gets you to the same place?

2006 Silverton 34 Convertible

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jun 21 2015 :  23:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In decent weather, Canapitsit channel is not that big of a deal for power boats, though currents can be strong. If "leaving" Buzzard's Bay or Cuttyhunk, just closely regard the green cans "C5", "C3" & "C1" on your starboard side.

Here's a chart you can zoom right in on Canapitsit.:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/chartview.php?lat=41.4234&long=-70.9078&place=Canapitsit%20Channel&type=RNC

Quicks is certainly the widest and most straight forward passage if you decide to enter Buzzards Bay rather than staying S of "the Pigs", but all 4 of the main channels through the Elizabeths are plenty easy enough for a power boat if you take sufficient time to study the appropriate small scale (zoomed) charts and properly plan your route through them ( particularly Robinson's and Woods Holes)guided by the navaids. In daylight /clear weather, they really should only be of concern if you haven't studied your charts and understood them, or have low propulsion power. Disregard the navaids at your peril.
Stay close to them and remember Red (on your) Right Returning to Buzzbay. Red (on your) Left Leaving BuzBay.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Block Island Clamming Shutdown?!?!?!?!?! Topic Next Topic: Woods Hole or Falmouth  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com