BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Higgins Passage
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rogue Topic Next Topic: Inside Passage  

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  17:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I will be going north of Port Hardy next year. We were looking at a place called Higgins Passage. (N 52 28.968 W 128 43.938)
Some of the charts say its dry land some are showing water. My boat draws a little under 3ft with the out drive all the way down and less than 2 ft on beach mode.
Has anyone been through this passage way?
May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  11:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jgsons2:

Higgins Passage is charted on 3710 at 1:20 000. The Tide Book (Vol. 7 for the North Coast) references tides in Higgins Passage to Bella Bella, and the difference between them is shown to be less than 0.5 ft. so you can use Bella Bella right out of the tide book. The tricky spots are at Lohbrunner Island, whether you take the route N and W of the Island, which has an uncharted area about 0.1 nm long, or S of the Island, which has an uncharted area about 0.3 nm long.

If you travel either of these passages, on a rising tide, within an hour or so of HW at Bella Bella, you should be OK for depths for the short time you travel the “uncharted areas”. Price Island is only about 6nm wide East to West, and my guess would be that the tide levels, on either side, would be very close to one another, and the current in Higgins Passage would not be overpowering in either direction.

At 3 knots, it is only going to take you 6 min. to get through the longer S passage, and the tide will still be rising on both sides of Price Island, if you go through with the still rising tide.

Hope this helps.

Pics, please.
OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Jul 14 2015 :  13:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Old Salt. You have all ways been my go to guy about BC waters.

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rogue Topic Next Topic: Inside Passage  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com