BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New England Cruising Club
 Champlins 2015
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MV,Nantucket,Hyannis,Falmouth,Plymouth,New Bedford Topic Next Topic: August Block Trip  

TimHenn

RO# 126

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  18:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been going to Block Island for many, many years. I prefer Paynes dock or a mooring ball so that's where you will find me...until last weekend.

I had to meet guests Friday night but knew I couldn't get out there till dark around 9:30 or even later. I called Cliff at Paynes and because of the awesome weather he didn't think it would work out coming in that late. So I called the boat basin - sold out. Then I did something I had never done before - I called Champlins. My understanding of Champlins was that it was a loud-party-rafting-not-nice-to-stay-at place, so I never went there. When I called they said they had a "slip" for me which I immediately grabbed since I didn't want to be spinning around in the dark with no place to go (admiral would not like that!).

Then I started reading reviews -- Wow!! the negative reviews outpaced the positive by a factor of 2 most of them dated 2012/2013. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into but I was committed to it. I also wondered if I really was going to get a "slip" versus being rafted as I had heard so much about that as well.

When I arrived the dock master guided me into a very convenient spot and 2 deck hands to care of everything; they were a little wet behind the ears but that was ok with me. The spot, besides being right at the bar, was a nice spot and nearly all of the reviews I had read about cleanliness, arrogance, incompetency seemed unlikely.

The next day I agreed to stay a second night despite the cost (5.25/ft+$50). 2 hours later they told me I had to move which I was not happy about but I understood. I looked at the spot and questioned the size. They assured me I would fit. Well, I did fit but my anchor was hanging over the cockpit of the guy in front of me till he moved up hours later. Fun little docking experience. A little annoying.

bottom line -- this isn't a bad place. I would still pick Paynes then the Boat Basin in that order but if nothing was available I would go back to Champlins. Maybe your like me and thought this was not a nice place to stay. Its no Nantucket Boat Basin but it's ok -- and if that gets me on Block for the weekend the island never lets me down.

Homeport: Portsmouth, RI

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  16:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, going their August 7 for 4 nights. Last time I was there was on a holiday weekend (July 4th 2008 or 9). Freaking zoo :(
Great place for young kids as they have a pool and many activities. Yes, it is or was a party place.. have no problem there. They seem to be very light this year with bookings, maybe, they are learning from their past mistakes.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  18:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was planning in going there but was convinced to go to old harbor instead.

My first trip there. Stuck in montauk tonight waiting on a ignition coil. Stressful day but hoping for a happy ending

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: MV,Nantucket,Hyannis,Falmouth,Plymouth,New Bedford Topic Next Topic: August Block Trip  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com