BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: wildwine ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Where are all the dive shops going?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Trip to Key Largo Topic Next Topic: Dive Pics from Guantanamo Bay Cuba  

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  10:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be that we Americans are getting to be to lazy to even take up diving or any physical activity for that matter? I have seen 6 of the 7 dive shops close down for lack of buisness in the past 20 years...

Homeport: Babylon,NY

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  11:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's happening here in Florida as well. I think it has more to do with the economy than anything else. Being a equipment heavy sport the cost of initial entry is pretty expensive and I think most people just don't have as much disposable income as they used to. New diver input is very low and has been since 2008.

Bob

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  17:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured all the divers were looking to buy cheap so they bough online. I want to keep local businesses in business, or we will only have a walmart or home depot to shop at, and that is definitely not what I want. I miss walking into a harware store and receiving expert local knowledge. I still buy all my dive gear locally, but unfortunately me alone can not keep these retailers in business. Last year I bought a new tank and pony bottle from a local dive shop. I may have paid 10% more than online, but the 10% won't change my life and there would be no one to help me properly fit the pony bracket and show me the diffeerent ways I can mount it. And who will fill my tanks and rent me extra ones on a weekend when I decide to do a dive? Unfortunately everyone is hunting for the best deal, causing brick and mortar retailers to go out of business. I will try to fight this behavior, until I have no choice but to shop only online. Until then, buy from your local dive shops!

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  19:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't put on tanks in years. I dove so infrequently, it was cheaper to rent. I would give a +1 to the economy. Lots of folks working two part time jobs or a full time and a part time just to stay afloat.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Bradley

RO# 5358

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  19:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing over here as well - I have heard that due to the increase in shark attacks less people are diving

Homeport: Fremantle Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  00:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Combination of things, not just one. Diving was always a more in depth activity and that is not what is wanted by most people these days. Too much effort. Society wants safety and comfort. Ironically, the multi decade trend fm the agency's to dumb down the curriculum causes a lot of scares, and enough deaths to get noticed. Diving is seen as a risk sport in a culture that is risk adverse.

I was as involved in the sport as one can be, I don't allow my family to get involved in today's diving. Store owners can't afford to teach safety or even operate their own store equipment properly.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  07:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bradley

Same thing over here as well - I have heard that due to the increase in shark attacks less people are diving

I am old enough do have been diving when the first Jaws movie came out. It gove the sport diving community a bad hit.

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  12:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padraig

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley

I am old enough do have been diving when the first Jaws movie came out. It gove the sport diving community a bad hit.

For FORTY YEARS?!?!?!?

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  12:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, but maybe all the overblown publicity on shark sightings, shark bites, etc. are contributing to a slowdown in the sport diving industry.

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  13:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would more likely chalk it up to the expense. Very gear intensive and good gear is expensive... Even the cost to certify has gone through the roof...

I used to dive quite a bit when I lived in Florida. My sons are now old enough to start, but when we looked into it it was just not worth the cost for the amount of diving we would do.

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  15:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the same here on Long Island ny. We used to have many dive shops that had pools but they are all gone. Personally I just don't have the desire to dive anymore. I use a hookah to check boat bottom and play with my oysters but even hookah not necessary. More for ****s and giggles.

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  18:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zane,

I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing played with your oysters and been none the worse for wear! :)

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  20:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they are all going under.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Bradley

RO# 5358

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  02:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly here a couple of dive boat operators mentioned business has dropped off with them citing that the increase in shark attacks has driven this.
In our immediate local area the rate has increased dramatically and not relevant to population change eg 1900 - 1975 1 fatal attack 1975 - 2000 3 fatal attacks and about 3 other attacks and 2000 - 2014 40 attacks with 20 fatal. Whilst you are still much more likely to get killed in the car going to the ocean this increase has changed may peoples behaviour even though the attacks are quite seasonal and appear to follow the whale migration

Homeport: Fremantle Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  01:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have personally cancelled a handful of dives because of white shark sightings. Sharks scare the hell out of me.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

OLD HOUSEBOATER

RO# 9099

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  11:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Golf courses are next.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
The French fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Homeport: GULF SHORES AL. Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  10:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with GHOST, young people are very lazy, they would rather do it on a computer screen...to bad for them.

Homeport: Babylon,NY Go to Top of Page

Radiowaves

RO# 14642

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  12:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat Do you remember all the diving we did together ? Those were the days. The Bayville Barge at night was fun.

Radio Waves... Boatless in Brightwaters.

Homeport: Brightwaters / Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

Planeguy

RO# 1963

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Bahama Divers in Nassau when I am there. They have taken down their Facebook page and their web site.

My tolerance for Islam ended on 9-11-01!

Homeport: Huron, Ohio Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  12:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Bradly me boy, sure wish I had the energy that I apparently had back then!

Homeport: Babylon,NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Trip to Key Largo Topic Next Topic: Dive Pics from Guantanamo Bay Cuba  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com