BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Sea Ray Owners
 sun sport
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 4.3 LX Still Bogging..HELP! Topic Next Topic: 40 SR Sedan Bridge Cummins 430s  

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Aug 29 2015 :  09:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of buying a house on the lake and down sizing the boat. Is anyone familiar with the Sea Ray Sun Sport? I am interested in the 280 model from 1997 to 2005.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  21:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a '99 280BR, which is a bow-rider. It's the same boat as the 280SS from the windshield to the stern.

They came in single big block, twin small block, Bravos and Alphas, carbed and injected.

The ride great, they're reasonably quick to downright fast.

The mid/late 90's model became the 290 after 2000, which was a significant refresh. By '05, it was changed again - mostly transom and cockpit configs.

Your year range basically includes 3 iterations. Is there anything specific to "Gen 1" you want to know?

Homeport: Cedar Pt, Oh / Mi / Miami Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  11:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for general feedback on the model. It seems to be a comfortable, well thought out layout. The one with two motors look a bit tight in the engine room but other than that it seems like what I am looking for. I like the open bow version but prefer the cuddy cabin with the bigger bathroom and happy nap area. Based on what I see on the market, they seem to hold their value.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

SLW

RO# 2186

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  11:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of room outside of each engine, but it's very tight at the inside/back of them. (and the actuator makes it worse)

There are probably 5 different cowling designs in the various 280/290/SS/BR's. I have the curved rear seat, the base of which is bolted to the floor and sides. When I do serious ER work, I remove it, which opens everything up and makes a big difference in accessibility. That's not necessary for routine maintenance btw. Batteries and fluids for trim, tabs, oil and steering are all accessible when the hatch is lifted.

The battery config on mine is clever: a dedicated and switched starting batt for critical systems and port starting, and then 2 more are switched 1/2/both for house and stbd. On top of that, I can parallel port and stbd if necessary. (SeaRay's Emergency Start)

The extended swim platform was optional, at least in the 90's. That puts the drives right at swimmers feet, esp with twins.

The cockpit sink console was reduced in size for the 2000 model year. That provides for some more floor space, but I like the large storage area and countertop (under which can be an optional fridge).

I have carbed twins w/ Alphas. Twins are great, carbs and Alphas not so much. However, I can put an adult in every seat on this boat (and that's a LOT) and push the throttles fwd and she'll come on plane like a jetski. Another bonus to the twin config is standard 4-lever Morse controls (racing style). Every single I've seen has had the combing-mounted Merc lever.

The ER scupper design is poor, and that's one of if not my only complaint about design. Water travels down the sole and under the seatbase cowling, where it is supposed to fall into a gutter and then to out the side scuppers. Heavy rain or a big wave (BR!) will overfill the gutter and put water into the bilge. That water also travels past the screws that hold the seatbase to the floor, so I always tell people to check for softness in the sole around those screws.

'97-'99's were covered in stripes and graphics that IMO, were ugly evew back then. (3 shades of brown with some gold thrown in... ah, the 90's...)

I removed all the stripes this spring. I plan to replace the stripe above the rail, but I'm not sure what I'll do on the hullsides.

Homeport: Cedar Pt, Oh / Mi / Miami Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 4.3 LX Still Bogging..HELP! Topic Next Topic: 40 SR Sedan Bridge Cummins 430s  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com