BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: cepaul ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Help with 1985 3607
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fuel gauge/sending unit problem ? Topic Next Topic: Bimini canvas maker  

dougnash

RO# 32517

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  10:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my friend just acquired this boat at the beginning of the season.

He had a 23 ft walk-around previously and has been an "outboard" guy all his life.

I have been helping him learn all the systems as well as help him understand how to dock w/ twin screws

I have a few questions for members with this type of boat (I own diesel)

It has mercruiser 454/330hp engines, what should max rpm be and optimum cruising rpm's ?

I found 3550-3600 rpm's is a nice cruise rb2rb2@gr5tgr5t 18mph on GPS and provides a nice "V" wake

Also what should water temp of motors be? one gauge says 125deg and other is about 160deg

The higher reading engine just had water pump switched for new and still same temp

I guess next try changing the temp sending units for gauges?

He wants to add a dinghy, any suggestions on what mounting system works best to rig off the swim platform for inflatable with small motor?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Homeport:

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  11:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Closed cooling or seawater cooled? Is the boat in fresh water or salt?

Either way his introduction to boating will be expensive because the entire cooling system should be gone through especially if it is in salt water.. This is normal maintenance every few years but he probably has no info on if it was ever done.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  19:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as max rpm...the engine should turn up to 4600 at WOT. Best cruising rpm...to stay out of the 4 barrels...is approximately 3400 to 3500....speed will vary. The temps on raw water cooled engines of that vintage should be about 140 degrees. It sounds like one may have a 160 degree stat in it, which would let the engine run warmer. probably the least expensive and easiest system for dingy is Weaver Davits.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

marykhubby

RO# 25522

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Kenny - he's our resident Carver expert.

I have had a freshwater '82 3607 with same 454 motors, rated at 350HP since 2003. Both Engines have been completely refurbished less than 100 hours ago. STBD engine runs at 160, while PORT engine runs 15 degrees cooler, both with identical new thermostats. i suspected the difference is I replaced the STBD engine raw water cooling pump with a crank mounted/driven unit (stock unit is belt driven). I doubt that the CCW vs CW rotation of these engines has that much effect, but who knows... It would be interesting to know if your engines align (STBD - Port) as mine do on temps as I have also wondered why...

I typically cruise between 3200-3500.... Planes nicely there, and although I can claim she's never economical, it is much kinder to my wallet.
Regs,
Don

DOCK'ed WAGE$

Homeport: MI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Fuel gauge/sending unit problem ? Topic Next Topic: Bimini canvas maker  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com