BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Clunking noise from port engine
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1991 Carver rpm guages Topic Next Topic: 2000 Carver Voyager 37  

tip sea

RO# 31348

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  17:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1998 Carver Mariner 350 with 454 EFI's and Walter V-Drive transmissions.I am hearing a clunking noise when I put the port engine in or out of gear. Has anyone else had this problem? Or what could be causing it?

Homeport: MD

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  20:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt it's the engine. Could be the flywheel or coupler. Whatever, it's gotta be fixed before too many bolts come loose while underway.

The thing is, you should go down there and observe and put your hands on things and have stethescope or length of hose to listen to different areas of different components. It's a good thing to do just to familiarize yourself with your boat.

Oh yeah! Check the motor mounts

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Edited by - jtybt15 on Sep 08 2015 20:14:37

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Tommyfmu

RO# 31056

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  07:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same issue. I've got a really good yard mechanic who advised, over the phone because we were underway, to check for spark for each piston and oil level which was ok. First I found that one plug wire had fallen off, and felt it was time for tune up so changed all the plugs and wires, although gapped them at .035" as suggested by marine store, although then checked the engine guide which said they're supposed to be gapped at .045" . I'll get to it this weekend and report back if it decreases clunk noise. At rpms higher than idle, it sounds fine in or out of gear.

10-6-2015 update: your issue could be bad springs on your damper plate between the engine and transmission. After a seizure of my port engine, we inspected under the oil pan and found a piston bracket that came loose off of the crank shaft had pounded through the pan. Rebuilt block underway.

Edited by - Tommyfmu on Oct 06 2015 16:30:21

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

Salvatore356

RO# 32937

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  05:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometime your zinc you put on your shaft loosen up and slide's back.

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1991 Carver rpm guages Topic Next Topic: 2000 Carver Voyager 37  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com