BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: T N B W ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 El Faro story on 60 Minutes
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Telular modem / router issue Topic Next Topic: Oar goes through a car windshield  

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  19:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale

Kenpcfl

RO# 12978

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  20:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched it, but really did not learn anything new. Did I miss something?

Ken

Edited by - Kenpcfl on Jan 03 2016 20:54:53

Homeport: Panama City, FL Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  22:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly no. It was a disappointment IMO.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  00:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-el-faro-lost-in-the-bermuda-triangle/

The U/W videos show the top 2 levels of the house superstructure had ripped clean off with windows blown out and were found 1/2 nm away from the ship.

I felt Scott Perry for CBS comes off as a bit of a compassionless broadcast automaton in this basic presentation of the tragic event.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  06:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I felt Scott Perry for CBS comes off as a bit of a compassionless broadcast automaton in this basic presentation of the tragic event.

I agree
Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

C team

RO# 24911

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  14:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't impressed with the 60 minute story but that ship went through one hell of a storm by the way it was bent and ripped apart!

Craig
1981 Egg Harbor 33'

Homeport: Skipjack Cove, Sassafras River MD Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  15:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way of knowing but it seems likely the upper superstructure was torn off by huge-wave action when the ship was on it's side as the captain had already reported a substantial list. Gruesome image no matter how you cut it.

Sandy

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like what the one guy's Father said...basically that they were all at their post trying to restore power and that's how he's going to remember his Son until someone else provides proof to the contrary. Proud and defiant at the same time.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

C team

RO# 24911

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  10:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

I like what the one guy's Father said...basically that they were all at their post trying to restore power and that's how he's going to remember his Son until someone else provides proof to the contrary. Proud and defiant at the same time.

+1

Craig
1981 Egg Harbor 33'

Homeport: Skipjack Cove, Sassafras River MD Go to Top of Page

Veebyes

RO# 11224

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  10:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch it come down to skipper judgment error. That was one big ship but he still should have not sailed into that thing thinking his ship was more than a match for that storm. Cavitation with an OB is one thing. Prop cavitation in a ship is something else. Once power & steerage was lost they were doomed wallowing sideways in the sea.

Homeport: Bermuda Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  11:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contrary to what that woman said IMO the Captain was fully responsible for the tragedy. same mistake the Bounty captain made. Both got caught between the land and the storm.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  19:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it hadn't been for the loss of power I pretty certain the ship would have weathered the storm fine.

The Bounty was a old ship that went out with a nonprofessional crew and known deficiencies.

Two very different stories IMO.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  19:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
( reviving an "old", but continuing story )

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20161213.aspx

NTSB released a large "bolus" of info to the El Faro docket.

Included in this link, a video of a one hour press conference. Among the items added to the investigation docket is a 500 page transcript of bridge audio.

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=58116&CurrentPage=2&EndRow=30&StartRow=16&order=1&sort=0&TXTSEARCHT=

I did not locate the transcript. Too much data, too little time.

--edit--

to add:

Link to full ( LARGE ) PDF transcript:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/public/58000-58499/58116/598645.pdf

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - Radioactive on Dec 14 2016 19:55:07

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  21:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The synopsis I read was that they developed a list, and subsequently engine failure. Everything lined up for disaster.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  23:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading the VDR transcript. Still have no real opinion either way. Nothing jumped out at me, except the usual underway, forgot about the hot mike, talking smack banter - which is not at all out of the ordinary. At a quick read, though, that VDR transcript didn't really throw any flags to my mind.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  00:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a few "stories" out there, the "jury is still out". They are apparently still attempting to discern the source of the weather reports that they were relying upon, as well as the "freshness" of that data.

Imho, it mostly appears to be an accumulation of "common everyday issues" that combined for an undesirable result. But I will wait for the final report.

---

A definition of "scuttle" as used in the transcript, would be handy. ( From context, I have an idea, but an actual definition would be nice )

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  15:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive

From a few "stories" out there, the "jury is still out". They are apparently still attempting to discern the source of the weather reports that they were relying upon, as well as the "freshness" of that data.

Imho, it mostly appears to be an accumulation of "common everyday issues" that combined for an undesirable result. But I will wait for the final report.

---

A definition of "scuttle" as used in the transcript, would be handy. ( From context, I have an idea, but an actual definition would be nice )

I wondered that, too. A normal passageway type deck scuttle just isn't big enough to take that much water that quickly.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  21:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signal to get into survival suits and abandon ship was given, but possibly too late as it sounds like the "bow was under" shortly before or after the command. If many did leave the ship suited up but w/o an enclosed rescue capsule and a means to enter it and launch free, chances of survival may have been essentially nil in those 100+kt conditions but wouldn't odds of at least one suited body being recovered be reasonably good?
It's a big ocean and we are so tiny.

Sandy

Previous Topic: Telular modem / router issue Topic Next Topic: Oar goes through a car windshield  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com