BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Looking at 1987 3807 Aft Cabin
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3207 salon bar Topic Next Topic: How do I access the fwd head exhaust fan?
Page: of 2

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  21:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking at a 3807 Aft cabin this weekend. Fresh water boat its whole life. Plan on running it down to Florida in the fall of 2016. Seeking info from this group of Carver owners. Any specific items we should be looking for? Window or stanchion leaks, soft spots in the deck ect. 660 hrs dock queen. A survey will be ordered later. This will be our fifth motoryacht. Never had a Carver before. Using it as a live aboard during the winter.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  22:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice layout and use of space like most Carvers. Window leaks, hatch leaks, moisture or mold issues are common from that time period. Closed cooling system? Also check to make sure both gas tanks are being used (got burned on last purchase). Original refrigerator could need work or replacement by now. Is stove propane or electric? Old propane lines could an issue. If it has points, look at conversion kits. I'm assuming Crusaders? Bullet proof if maintained. Typical older boat stuff but fresh water use makes it worth investing in. Anything specific you are worried about?
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  06:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice boat I came very close to buying one several years ago.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  07:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We knew folks that had one and the deck fills leaked water into the gas tanks. If the boat has not been used make sure it hits max revs and can cruise there for several minutes. After running it, you might pull the filters and empty them into a bucket to see if there is water in the tanks. Otherwise I thought the boat handled and ran well.
Make sure you have some sort of boarding ladder or steps to go with it. Living aboard a boat without a washer/dryer is more difficult since you have to carry all of the laundry around. I agree the Norcold may be shot. If that is the case, don't replace it with a Norcold.
There are a gang of them out there so I'd be somewhat aggressive with the offers.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  09:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have an '88, 3807. Nice boat, plenty of room, very comfortable. If you are taking it from Ohio to FL, you are going to be burning a lot of gas. I assume it has twin 454's. Running hull speed (7-8 knots) which we always did, you will get about 1 mpg. Get it up on plane and now you are down to less than 1/2 mpg.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  10:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might add that when we sold our boat 6 years ago, the only major issue the surveyor found was both holding tanks needed to be replaced. The one on the port side is easy to get to and replace...no big deal. However, the one on the starboard side is a different story. For that one, you have to remove the refrigerator and take it out that way. It was NOT an easy job to do. If it needs to be done, whoever does it, do yourself a favor and order replacement tanks that are slightly smaller than original. Makes replacing them a little easier.

If you do buy it, don't hesitate to touch base with me. Any issues that come up, I may have already addressed them and may know some shortcuts.

Edited by - cwms on Jan 21 2016 10:52:40

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  19:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The water getting past the fill cap and into the gas tank is very common with that design. The cap sits flat on the deck and water will get in if it is not tight or the "o" ring fails. Mine was cracked and looked like dry rot. I think previous owner just abandoned the tank and screwed me on the purchase. I should have noticed the valves running off one tank but missed it. Surveyor walked by it as well.
Jim

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  19:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for all your input. We will be there on Sunday to check things out and to take lots of pictures. Was the lower station an option? Is there a closet big enough to put in a washer dryer? A splendid. Washer/dryer in one.
Did this year of motors come with thunder bolt ignition system, ( pointless ). Our trip to Florida will be at hull speed. We are in no rush. Plan to visit as many vineyards & golf courses along the way. While eating our way through the Culinary Institute:)I have put a punch list together to keep my focus on point.

Ron

Edited by - DUSTCUTTER on Jan 21 2016 20:03:08

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  20:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only looked at two 3807's and neither had a lower station, but I think it was an available option. As far as putting in a washer/dryer, I guess anything is possible, but it would be a costly install meaning a complete redesign of a cabin. We have friends who used to have a 4207 and it did have an installed washer/dryer.

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  20:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst of it will be getting it inside without ripping up the boat. We have had to remove the center window from our boat a few times for things like a fridge, chairs etc.. PITA.

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  08:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even the bigger Carvers run into that situation. My friend had a 44 foot aft cabin and we took the windshield out to change the the fridge out.
Jim

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  08:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow is the day for inspection. Adding to the list to measure entry doors. Plus all large objects that need to be replaced. Depending on what we find. We could have an offer in on Monday subject to survey and sea trials in the spring. I will report back on Sunday what we have found. More to discuss.

Ron

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  09:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bring a tape measure with you. Measure the widest opening and then look at the front windows to see how they come out in case you need to go there. Did I say in case? Check that thought. You will most likely have to go there at some point.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  12:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do have to remove something large, remember you can remove the companionway double doors to make the opening a few inches wider.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  18:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Delay: Drove out to the boat this Sunday afternoon. Owner gave me instructions that there was a door in the shrink to gain access. Brought my own ladder and camera. Arrived at boat. No access door. Owner out of town, not expected to return to mid week. Update to follow.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  21:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what duct tape is for.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  23:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the positive. Now you know nobody else is looking at it. Good to have this info while negotiating. Owner let you look at it without he or broker being there?
Jim

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  07:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on that I would be suspicious of the boat because the owner is not even in touch with how the shrink wrap was done. He has not been there since it was wrapped and thus has not checked on it.
However at least he did wrap it based on what you saw.

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  12:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to check on my boat after it was wrapped, but after 15 years of finding nothing and not really figuring out what I was looking for, I stopped checking. Now I just go once in a while to sit and have a beer.
Jim

waybomb

RO# 4563

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  12:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW - we had a 1988 4207. Fridge went bad. Took the doors and hinges off of it, and took the door between the aft deck and the cabin completely out - frame and all. Replacement fridge went in the same way.

Thanks Fred
1988 46'Cougar, 3x572 blown
1987 36 Carver Mariner
1969 Glaspar Avalon
1964 Barron Flatbottom BBC
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/waybomb/

Homeport: Saint Joseph, MI Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  17:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made the trip today to see the boat. Almost 60 deg here on the north coast. Boat has been out of the water for several years. Going to submit offer on Monday. Subject to sea trial, survey and inspection. All inside and outside furniture needs replaced. Also carpet inside and out, bimini, galley flooring, drapes, blinds, all inside soft surface. Bilges look clean. Engine hrs 526. Gen hrs 200. Boat needs washing and rub out and wax. Fresh water boat its whole life.

Noticed that engines did not have sea strainers. Is this a common practice for Carver?

Need help on locating fuel distribution panel.

Ron

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  17:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fuel switches are in the aft cabin closet. Our '88 did have sea strainers.
Sounds like that boat needs LOTS of work. Do you mind if we ask how much you plan to offer?

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first offer will be 12 thousand. If accepted, next stop spring time launch and sea trial, inspection and survey. This project would be fill in work for my employees. They could knock this out in about 300 hrs. Plus materials.

Ron

Edited by - DUSTCUTTER on Jan 31 2016 18:30:33

eric_b

RO# 33482

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  09:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Kenny (Ramsport47) may be better to answer this, but from my experience at looking at many 1980's era carvers and owning one that does not have sea strainers I think it is very common for raw water cooled version to not have them. The fresh water cooled models seem to have sea strainers. Is the one you looked at raw water cooled?

Eric

2001 Formula 37/40 PC twin 8.2L MPI Bluewaters
1986 Carver 32 Convertible (SOLD)

Edited by - eric_b on Feb 01 2016 09:12:43

Homeport: Marblehead, OH Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  20:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct, raw water cooling. Submitted offer today. Lots of work to do if this goes forward.

Ron

rythmstrat

RO# 32479

Posted - Feb 02 2016 :  06:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My '90 Santego does not have sea water strainers. Raw water 7.4 Mercruisers. I was surprised....

Scott.
Moose Deer Point Marina
'90 Carver Santego DC 3897
2001 Seadoo LRV.

Homeport: Twelve Mile Bay, Georgian Bay, Ontario Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  12:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Offer accepted. When the weather improves, time for survey, inspection and sea trial. End of April most likely.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  14:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with this. Once you get everything done you want, you will have yourself a pretty nice boat.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  07:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heads seem to be crown electric. Is this correct? Is water supplied from fresh water holding tank? Did Carver run PVC for the long runs, or did they use hose? Also could someone post a pic of the cushions located on front on the flybridge console. I believe they are missing. Also helm seat.

Ron

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  08:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck Ron!

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  15:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heads are most likely Crown electrics. Good units and fairly easy to work on with re-build kits. I did both of ours.
I would assume you are using raw water to feed the heads. Easy to find out. You should have 7 thru hulls on that boat...3 to feed the engines and Genset, 1 combined for holding tank discharge, 2 to feed water to the heads and 1 to feed the AC units.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  20:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the heads. Where would the thru hulls be located. If there are thru hulls. They must be easy to get to.

Ron

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  23:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the thru hulls are in the engine room. If I recall 3 are on the port side and all can be reached from the middle crawl space. 4 are on the port side and not easily accessible.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  00:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sinks are close by. Any reason I cannot tap cold line? What about check valve?

Ron

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  09:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my current boat, I rigged up a system to have a fresh water flush when needed. The only time I use it is Sunday night when I'm closing up to boat to go home. I realized the only time salt water was a smell issue was the first flush when we came back to the boat on Friday night. The water in the feed hose gets funky.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  09:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I want to avoid. Heading to the boat shortly. Todays project. Find water feed to both heads. Locate which front windshield will come out. Boat has no lower station. Gives me plenty of clearance to remove furniture. Start cleaning inside of boat. Temp here today near 50.

Ron

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  10:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are moving to salt water fresh water flush is important to avoid smells. Sea strainers are a good idea in salt water. You might want to consider adding closed cooling to keep the salt out of the engines.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  10:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get too involved before the deal is closed. Seen it happen.

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  16:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the boat. Found the sea cocks that feed both heads. Located by the engines. Per your instructions. Also located bimini, strata glass for aft deck and bimini sides.
Boat we put the deposit on happens to be located very close to our marina. So this weekend, with the weather being so nice. Worked on our boat and spent some time going over the Carver. We have started on a list of the things we want to change or improve. Launch looks to be first of April. Previous owner has started to remove his personal items. Title is clean with no liens.

Ron

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  16:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason I say this is because I know someone who installed canvas and went whole hog before the deal was done, and they lost everything.
No changes until the deal is done!

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  17:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the heads up. Just want to be prepared. Very limited time to get things done.
Want to be heading south around Labor day. Some of the marinas that we are looking at have a 6 to ten month waiting list. Still need to schedule surveyor. Which will happen on Monday. This way his inspection will be done in April prior to launch and see trial.

Ron

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  08:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need help in locating steering pressure tank .

eric_b

RO# 33482

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  10:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my '32 it is at the stern of the boat close to the starboard rudder. It is a smallish 3 gallon size tank with a pressure gauge on top and a fluid level on the side.

2001 Formula 37/40 PC twin 8.2L MPI Bluewaters
1986 Carver 32 Convertible (SOLD)

Homeport: Marblehead, OH Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  10:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, check and see if the furniture comes apart for easy removal. If it has true "marine" furniture it should. My ’87 Mainship was that way and when I bought all new it also came apart and everything went through the main hatch.

Good Luck
Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  13:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you start working on a boat before you take possession of it?

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  19:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Thursday/Friday, marina were boat is on the hard will power up both engines. Do a compression test. Then rewinterize. All cylinder numbers will be in my possession on Monday. If motors pass, hull survey is scheduled for April 2. Sea trial April 9. Possession will be on Monday April 11.Interior removal, will start the following weekend. All soft surfaces will be removed, marked. We will use these for templates. What we have found so far is a boat that was hardly used. Its all about the buy side and the dollars/time that is required to restore. Boat bones are very important. More to follow. All conditions must be met before any work starts.

Ron

Edited by - DUSTCUTTER on Feb 16 2016 21:41:40

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  22:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would slow down a bit until the survey and sea test are done. With an older boat, you never know what ghosts will appear.
Jim

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 19 2016 :  22:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compression tests for both motors are in. Lowest number 146 highest numbers 155. Generator run and loaded at 60%. Now waiting for surveyor and sea trial.

Ron

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  18:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather has been very nice here. Survey will take place this Friday. Sea trials toward the end of the month.

Ron

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  19:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck! Make sure you are there for survey and ask a lot of questions.
Jim

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Mar 11 2016 :  22:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Survey results are in. No moisture or delam spots in hull, deck, stringers or bridge. A few spots in bow pulpit and swim platform. Bimini, side curtains for bridge and aft deck almost new. As expected boat need to rubbed out and a polymer applied. Bottom needs paint. Sea trials coming at end of March or first week or so of April. Lots of interior work to do once sea trial is completed.

Ron

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 3207 salon bar Topic Next Topic: How do I access the fwd head exhaust fan?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com