BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Carmen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Florida Tampa Bay Area
 Looking for dockage Tampa/ St. Pete and south
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Tampa Bay Boaters..  

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Requesting dock info Tampa/St. Pete and south. Must be safe and secure at all times. Prefer smaller out from the beaten path marinas.Live aboard preferred but not required. Covered slip would be a plus. 38 ft boat. With power and water.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  23:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulport Municipal Marina on Boca Ceiga Bay is protected, has free pump out, gas/diesel at reasonable prices. Monthly slip rental runs about $350 for a boat your size plus electric. They have a well equipped ship store, showers and such but at this point don't really allow live aboards. They do have security cameras on all the piers....marina cam so you can can check on your boat online-never had an issue except for the damn crows and parrots that invade us in winter. Great staff. I've been here for close to 10 yrs. without a problem.

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  01:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None more protected in the area than this:

http://www.loggerheadstpete.com/

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  10:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to google earth and checked out both marinas. About 3 weeks ago we rented a boat and cruised Cayo Costa, Cabbage Key, Useppa & Boca Grand. There were a lot of anchorages to visit and explore. Went as far south as Ft. Myers. Does the run going south from St.Pete offer the same. We were very cautious leaving the channel. Some places get very skinny. It looks to be about 100 miles one way. Are the cruising/anchorages better going a little further south?

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  10:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many anchorages and marinas in the area you mention. Most water is skinny but I go everywhere 4.5' draft, so do my friends. You are renting a slip so the decision is not permanent. St. pete is a good start.

You asked about st. pete so that's what I gave you. That marina is right at the freeway 30 minutes from TPA airport and 10 minutes from the beaches and downtown. Extremely well protected everything virtually new. Some covered slips.

Everyone has their favorite spots but the entire area is great cruising. How you will use the boat is important. Decide what is most important for you.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Feb 07 2016 10:33:06

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We plan on spending at least one or two winters exploring the area. Cruise Lake Erie, St.Clair and Huron during the summer. Keeping one boat on the North Coast the other in Florida. We have explored the east coast for about eight years already. As Pascal has said in the past, south of the Rickenbaker is where its at. So now our goal is the west side of Florida down to Key West. The people here on this forum have so much knowledge. All this info helps us prepare. Many thanks again to all who have contributed.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Feb 08 2016 :  00:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kept my boat for several years at Huber Yacht Basin which turned into Loggerhead Marina after 2005. I loved the protected covered slips and the resonable prices, but the noise from the interstate and tire dust/dirt from the interstate was a constant hassle. I had to sweep the decks every time before we would head out for the day. I almost went back to Loggerhead but the lack of security was a concern to me. Maximo Marina on the other side offers a quieter setting without the effects of the interstate, but its 15 mins. of idle speed to get out of the long canal to Boca Ciega Bay and it's also more expensive.

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

Gerry Heimann

RO# 3229

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  20:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be further south than you wish but my suggestion brings with it good access to the Keys and the surrounding Naples and Sanibel/Captiva areas. Take a look at the marina at The Esplanade on Marco Island. It has direct and nearby access to the Gulf. Alternatively, the Marco Island Marina is on the Marco River, about 1.5 miles to the Gulf. Live-aboards are welcome. I haven't checked prices.

http://www.esplanademarina.com/
http://www.marcoislandmarina.com/image

Homeport: Bay Shore, LI & Marco Island Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Tampa Bay Boaters..  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com