BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: dentray ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Cutles bearing
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: upgrading electronics Topic Next Topic: Mercruiser Service Manuals, Engines/Drives  

ga48

RO# 17735

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  08:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone has heard of taking the strut off the boat to change the bearing?
Fiddlers Green

Homeport: Merrick,New York

Bruce Herrington

RO# 2612

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  09:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. Can't imagine why it would be necessary unless strut was damaged.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  09:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, makes no sense at all. In fact there are ways to change the cutlass bearing without removing the shaft.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to remove the strut to replace the cutlass bearings

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  10:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure... To Charge more labor... :)

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  12:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Just wondering if anyone has heard of taking the strut off the boat to change the bearing?"

I have done a couple of dozen cutlass bearings on my own boat and friends boats over the years. On a couple of them it was easier to reach and drop the 4 bolts holding the strut and pull the strut/cutlass off allowing us to press the old one out and new one in in my friends heated work shop area with a nice press available. Just need to make sure you support the remaining shaft well until you have the strut back in place. Those were 2" or greater as the smaller ones are usually easier to work with.
No dollars involved just selecting the best way to do the job at the time when its on our dime so to speak.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  17:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I replaced mine I removed it. That was only because I took it to the prop shop to be tested to ensure it was not bent. They blasted it clean and I never regretted that. But also in my boat's case it was a matter of four bolts with very easy access.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  19:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"But also in my boat's case it was a matter of four bolts with very easy access."

+ 1 Stephen - same here , only took about 3 minutes with an electric drill and deep socket and then drifted the bolts out. After that we are back in a heated workshop with a nice press and an easy job standing up.
It all depends upon the boat and sometimes the weather.

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  21:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the alignment is completely checked it's ok if that works for you. But if the alignment is good pulling the strut can lead to other issues.

You know, like there is always one bolt that refuses to cooperate and it is the last one so you are committed to mangling it?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  22:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, the bolts were sure stubborn, and if I remember were the wrong type. Of course I happened to be alone and they just spun. I strapped vice grips on the top side of the bolts so they wouldn't spin. If I remember, I ended up finding the proper carriage bolts at a restaraunt supply hardware store in Vineland. I think I was referred to the place by GVP. For those who knew George, he could find ANYTHING or tell you where to find it.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  01:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ga48- Was there any evidence of leakage at the strut bolts?

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  08:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As long as the alignment is completely checked it's ok if that works for you"

Regarding alignment - on one 37 Sea Ray we were working on we could not get the alignment in specs easy - V drive and all that. Dropped the strut and shimmed it a few times temporarily tightening it down to see what we needed in thickness to get good alignment. When we were happy with the results we set the strut in permanent with sealant and it worked great - cannot take credit for the idea as it was on Tony Athens site at sbmar(dot)com. Had to do the cutlass and prop anyway as that was part of the problem to begin with.

FWIW - the problems I have seen with strut bolts are most often crevice corrosion. I have not had one spin on me but I did have one break off - a good thing we replaced thopse bolts in that case.

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  12:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread got me to thinking. Other than some material improvements, the design hasn't changed in decades. I wonder why that is.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

jpowell

RO# 15168

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  10:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why no design change ? It still works!

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"

Homeport: Stevensville, MD Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  12:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpowell

Why no design change ? It still works!

So did these.

I would have thought over time and with more powerful computers something more efficient would have evolved in the shipping industry that would have trickled down to us mere mortals.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

vic33004

RO# 27361

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  15:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it has changed, think IPS and surface drives. based on the efficiency I doubt we will see many more planning hulls in the 10-30 ton range without them. outboard and I/O now pretty much own the under 10 ton planning hull design market.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, FL Go to Top of Page

ga48

RO# 17735

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  19:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing was leaking.Clearances were above specs.They need to be done so I an having them done before I bring it up from Virginia. Don't need any problems offshore.

Fiddlers Green

Homeport: Merrick,New York Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  20:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ga48

Nothing was leaking.Clearances were above specs.They need to be done so I an having them done before I bring it up from Virginia. Don't need any problems offshore.

Need to be done?

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Previous Topic: upgrading electronics Topic Next Topic: Mercruiser Service Manuals, Engines/Drives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com