BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: cepaul ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 1978 Carver Mariner 33 Good Idea or Bad? Help
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1994 Carver Mariner Windows/ Imron/ Awlgrip Topic Next Topic: Request for a boat ride while on vacation in Flori  

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  16:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! New to the Forum I guess depending on your advice I could be my first of many or last post haha.

Recently found a 1978 Carver Mariner 33 twin 5.7l Mercrusiers.

The story on the boat is that it has not been in the water since oct of 2012 the owner pulled it before hurricane sandy since then got sick and gave it to a friend who has no interest in the boat. The story is that everything ran fine when it was pulled out of the water he says it was winterized and was regularly maintained by a local marina. I'm hoping all of that is true so my question is do you guys think this worth the risk? Everyone i ask has 2 follow up questions... how much? The man is giving me the boat... so their next question is what is wrong with it?

Hoping you guys can help me any advice is appreciated

I can provide some pics

Homeport:

norman

RO# 6397

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  18:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is....even if the history of the boat you relayed is accurate you're still going to have to put some money into it.
A '78 is going to require some cash investment, no matter how well it may (or may not) have been running.

If you're prepared to put some money into it you may get some enjoyment out of her for a few years.

If, on the other hand you're hoping to enjoy the boat trouble free....walk away#128512;

Homeport: Orillia, Ontario Go to Top of Page

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  20:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is pretty much what I figured I am prepared to put a couple thousand into it if need be. Also I am not sure what theae boats typically go for ive seen them online anywhere between 10-20k I have no idea if thats accurate or not If its worth at least what i put in im happy.

As far as trouble free... Not to worried I used to that by now

Really appreciate all the help guys

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  07:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of thousand in "get it going costs" for any boat is not very much. A new refrigerator, AC, or any of the other systems will easily set you back that much. If it was put up for a storm, I would imagine the enclosure was taken down and stored. These can be pricey. If there is quite a bit of fuel in the tanks, it's a minimum of four years old.
I think if everything works you are probably looking at a couple of grand just to get it in the water before you start it, and that's when everything else becomes obvious.
A survey is a very good idea considering the age, and believe it or not they miss things as well so there is no guarantee from a surveyor.

So before you even put a deposit down, open up the enclosure if it has one, plug in the shore power and see if the battery charger, refrigerator and any other shore power appliances like hot water work. If they don't consider what has to happen physically to replace them. For example changing a water heater could mean pulling an engine.

I am not knocking the model. I always thought the mariners offered quite a bit of good space and boat for the money.

Salvatore356

RO# 32937

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  08:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you the man is giving you the boat for nothing why doesn't he give it to the marina? Does he owe the marina money for keeping the boat there? If the boat was in good shape the marina would of taken it and sold it. I would walk away from it.

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  08:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get copies of all maintenance records. Make sure all systems were winterized. Get a survey.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  08:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is giving me the boat because I know his wife and she wants it gone. The boat is at his house because he didnt want to pay the marina. I know its a but of a risk but I see these ships online for average price of around 13k so i feel like it might be worth the risk. I definitely will be looking into a survey.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  09:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the boat located?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  11:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

Email me privatly at searawbin at outlook.com

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  11:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dasbugin

quote:

The reason I asked is because if there are RO's in the area, I'm sure at least one would be willing to take a look at the boat for you to give you a better idea as to whether to take the boat, or not

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  11:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever owned a boat, and have you had to deal with the systems on a boat that size?

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  12:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The reason I asked is because if there are RO's in the area, I'm sure at least one would be willing to take a look at the boat for you to give you a better idea as to whether to take the boat, or not

Hogan I live about 30 mins from you maybe you could shoot me an email I would love to get your thoughts.

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  12:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boatbum

Have you ever owned a boat, and have you had to deal with the systems on a boat that size?

Never had a boat of this size but I have owned a boat before just sold my other boat that is why I am looking around. And I really like the idea of a boat I can spend the weekend on.

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  12:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you good with engines? Do you have a basic knowledge of how they work?
If so, you can do your own maintenance, saving you a ton of money us folks here can guide you through it.
And are you ready to deal with the summer mooring fees and winter storage fees?

If the answer to those questions are YES, I would definitely take it.

I would try and get the last winterization invoice to make sure they added stabilizer and hopefully fogged the engines.
Can you do a compression test?
My biggest concern would be the 4 year old fuel.
I'd drain it ASAP and dump it then don't be surprised if carbs need to be rebuilt.
I'd also be prepared to purchase new batteries.
At least inspect the impellers, or better yet, just change them.
Inspect cap rotor and spark plugs too....a full tune-up and fluid change would be a good start.

Speak to the mechanic that worked on it, bring him a case of beer or send a large pie ;-)

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

dasbugin

RO# 33905

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  12:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Walshie for your tips

I have rebuilt engines before I know how to do compression tests change oil cap and rotor I am pretty handy and I already have dock space lined up for the summer.

I am pretty sure either way I am going to replace the batteries impellers and thermostats on the motors and make sure the gauges work 100%
I am also concerned with getting that fuel out of the tanks (if there is any in there) ASAP
I'll have to see if I can get in touch with the last guy that worked on her.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  14:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hogan I live about 30 mins from you maybe you could shoot me an email I would love to get your thoughts.

Sent you an email

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

PBardunias

RO# 2788

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  20:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dasbugin.... how did you make out with the boat?

Pete Bardunias (28' 1980 Carver Mariner "Arcadia", 21' 1975 Glastron V215 (plus a few more toys), Clifton Park, NY) --- Moderator of the Carver Boats Forum, President/CEO, the Chamber of Southern Saratoga County, Board Member, Eastern NY Marine Trades Assn

Homeport: Clifton Park, NY Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  20:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5.7 Mercruisers on a 33' boat?

Wonder how adequate they are for the weight/displacement?

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  07:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever you think it will cost to fix her up, triple the price and double the time at a minimum. Not saying this to dissuade you but having BTDT, you should go into the project eyes wide open.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  09:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good that you know engines. Better check for water damage. Fresh water will rot wood, salt water won't but both will make wood soft.

I think 33' is a good size to work on. I hope you're young enuff to finish the job and enjoy it.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1994 Carver Mariner Windows/ Imron/ Awlgrip Topic Next Topic: Request for a boat ride while on vacation in Flori  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com